• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Various kinds of Atheism

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The distinction between weak & strong atheism is useful
in arguments on RF....helping theists understand us.
The Age of Reason (Another source)

Ha. They think many weak atheists are confused-a mixed between agnostic and atheism. I agree with their logic (but don't agree with how they express their sentiment). Why is it wrong for a weak atheist (and strong) just to say he or she is an atheist?

Unless he is unsure or the option is open to him, atheism doesn't talk about the nature of the disbelief just the fact of disbelief itself.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ha. They think many weak atheists are confused-a mixed between agnostic and atheism. I agree with their logic (but don't agree with how they express their sentiment). Why is it wrong for a weak atheist (and strong) just to say he or she is an atheist?

Unless he is unsure or the option is open to him, atheism doesn't talk about the nature of the disbelief just the fact of disbelief itself.
I see the word "atheism" confusing other.
People tend to think it means "Gods do not exist".
But it also includes agnostics.

darkskies

What about strong atheism, which positively asserts God does not exist?
I'll make it simple.
You can have types to theism because there are multiple ways you can believe in at least one deity.
As for atheism, you cannot have multiple ways to not believe in any deity.
Either you do or you don't (not believe).
If theism is the set of natural numbers, atheism is set zero. You can arrange natural numbers in an infinite number of ways. You can arrange zero in one way.

Strong atheism is a subset of atheism (not to be confused with the example I provided). Not a type.

Last edited:

Colt

Lucifers Atheism was that the Sons exist but are perpetuating a fraud by ruling in the name of an unseen Universal Father.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Various kinds of Atheism

I had to post this in the 'General Religious' debates section because this debate is intended for anybody to respond to.

A thread about various churches within Christianity has led on to this question.
I cannot think of many kinds of Atheism myself, but here is my short list.
Please do add to the list, argue about it, deny bits of it....... as you please. :p

Religious Atheism (Henotheism. Christianity. etc )
Implicit Atheism (I don't see how God could be real)
Direct Atheism (There is no God!)
Religion Mythers (God and everything in the bible etc is myth!)
Deism (God is unaware and uninvolved, so there is no Theistic God)
Agnosticism (I don't believe in God but am open minded)
Apatheism (I don't actually care about God, one way or t'other)
Ignosticism/Igtheism. (I don't accept any ideas or definitions about God.

Over to you all.......
I'm an igtheist (also called an ignostic).

That means that I understand well enough gods that are purely conceptual / imaginary ─ they can be anything the believer wants.

But I think the idea of a real god ─ one that has objective existence, and therefore is a part of nature ─ is incoherent. Certainly I've never found a definition of God such that if we found a real suspect, we could determine whether it was God or not.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Atheists will also claim many things to themselves, and credit it all to atheism. At least many of them do. Like science, then secularism, democracy, sometimes communism, but now since its not very well accepted and you look like a "bad guy" or more than that a "stupid guy" atheists dont really take up communism as one of their crowns they wish to claim to themselves. There are many things like that.

But you have missed the most important two. One is Atheism where A just means they dont take a position and just wish to get on with life with out believing in a God or deity. Like A sexual.

The other Atheism is Anti-theism. They are against theism as a philosophy or policy. By definition that is.

Interesting topic this.
Than you for your input.
Maybe your ' get on with life atheist' is also known as an Apatheist. ???

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Not sure branding someone who believes in a different god as an atheist makes much sense. Athfidy comes from the greek 'a' (without) 'theos' (gods)
That's the point.
Christians did not believe in Greek or Roman God's, and thus they were called atheist by Greeks and Romans.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I'm a transtheistic Buddhist.

All sentient beings (possessing a subjective mind) are vulnerable to delusion (mistaking the subjective for the objective,) even gods. (Maha Brahma was deluded in the Buddhist suttas.)
Amazing responses.... This all started with a silly little list.

You good people have now helped to produce a massive one. Thank you.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
That's the point.
Christians did not believe in Greek or Roman God's, and thus they were called atheist by Greeks and Romans.

Greeks and Romans had no problem with gods, any gods,. New gods were added all the time as new territory was brought under Roman governance.

The problems occurred when monotheists said all the gods except theirs didn't exist, that their god was the only god and to worship different gods was a sin. Something of a slap in the face for those who worshipped Apollo, Jupiter, Aphrodite, Bacchus etc. And even more problematic when you consider the emperor was a god, bound to tick him off don't you think?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Pure fantasy fiction.
You must have been hypnotised.
Haggis is a total myth.

Ask any peer reviewed Haggis researcher.

A rare shot of a wild haggis

download (6).jpeg

Unfortunately you cannot see the edible left back leg in that shot. The left leg grows fat and succulent because of the haggis's habbit of only running one was round and round its home hill, being on such a slope exercises the muscle in that leg to a fine degree. Haggis spotters will point out those with the most succulent back leg to the hunters who run round and round the hill after the haggis until the haggis gives up from exhaustion

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There could be a form of religious Atheism, while claiming to beleive in God.

Like the Faith that says they have the only One true God, but all the other faiths rest on figments of other peoples imagination and not the One God.

Could we see that as a God less thought?

Or maybe not :D;)

Regards Tony