• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Use of the word: marriage

A

angellous_evangellous

Well, people can go on saying "gay marriage" it just hurts my ears.

And now all of you have the pleasure of knowing why. LOL

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Even if the word marriage is a noun...I still dont see how since it involves two seperate people..or even multiple ingredients

And even today it's not. It's used metaphorically in the context of any combination of things that work in harmony to augment one another as a single whole. "The greatest meals are those that express the perfect marriage of taste, creativity and presentation."

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I think that "married" there is used as a periphrastic participle with the verb "got."

O well, we say what we say with little need for rhyme or reason.:D

I "got some" marrried yesterday!!!

And I also "got some watermelon"...

Am I just a redneck or what...One time Wandered off Fruballed me and was laughing....Because I said..."Im fixing to be a grandmother"...He was like "fxing to be"...LOL!!...And I'm like what? :shrug:..What did I say???

Love

Dallas

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;1325970 said:
And even today it's not. It's used metaphorically in the context of any combination of things that work in harmony to augment one another as a single whole. "The greatest meals are those that express the perfect marriage of taste, creativity and presentation."

But when they talk of Angellous, it is used only to describe a disctinctly female and make characteristic that are forever combined in resolute perfection.

doppelganger

Yeah, it could change. There is a possibility that we can completely forgo the fundamental meanings of Latin and Greek roots as we build our words.

Which we do all the time.

I hope that doesn't happen, because it will be more and more difficult to understand what a word means by parsing it. And I'm referring to quite simple things, like "bi" meaning "two" and so on.
Language usage doesn't require any parsing.

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;1325975 said:
Which we do all the time.

:thud:

Dopp, I mean building words that use fundamental Latin roots (like these or these) but have no association with the root whatsoever.

Where does this happen in English?

Last edited by a moderator:
A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;1325975 said:
Language usage doesn't require any parsing.

I'm talking about interpretation - or understanding other people in communication or reading. If we just start using random words without any association to shared meanings, we won't understand anything.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Are you confused about the "t" in "matrimony" as being unrelated to "marriage" and then list martial and married together?
That was marital, not martial. The root is "marry". It's a common convention to tack "-al" on the end of a word to indicate "of" or "for". In this case, this would create an awkward juxtaposition of vowels (i.e. "marry-al"), hence the t.

Yes, I certainly agree.

I'll be waiting then, someone to show me a four sided triangle. And the need for cornered circles, or possibly a three-wheeled bicycle.

You want cornered circles? Here you go: these ones have four corners.

Yeah, it could change. There is a possibility that we can completely forgo the fundamental meanings of Latin and Greek roots as we build our words. I hope that doesn't happen, because it will be more and more difficult to understand what a word means by parsing it. And I'm referring to quite simple things, like "bi" meaning "two" and so on.
Or like "oxy" meaning "acid"? Many acids contain no oxygen, and many oxygen compounds are not acidic.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Well, people can go on saying "gay marriage" it just hurts my ears.

And now all of you have the pleasure of knowing why. LOL

Because you see it as an oxymoron?..Or shall I say..a total misuse of the English language and you are a language scholar???

I think the word "gay" should be dropped..Just "marriage"..why even make it distnguished?..But then again we do say "arranged marriage"..and "marriage of convenience" and "rotten marriage" and so on...

Love

Dallas

doppelganger

I'm talking about interpretation - or understanding other people in communication or reading. If we just start using random words without any association to shared meanings, we won't understand anything.
And if the meanings change in common usage and you insist on parsing . . . then you aren't going to understand anything.

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;1325985 said:
And if the meanings change in common usage and you insist on parsing . . . then you aren't going to understand anything.

There is constant change in langauge, and of that I am painfully aware, but there are also limits to change. Some things remain stable and keep a language intact. These Latin and Greek roots have shown incredible stability, and are still stable enough to render some usages of words as senseless and useless.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..

No but its not just a random word beign used to describe a gay persons 'status"..or something they "posses"...

Its two human beings..period..that unite together as one..the way I see it..Why does that have to be limited to a male and a female only?

Its not throwing a random word to describe it..IMHO...

Its not easy to get used to(for some)..Im not saying it is..but I think I could learn to understand marriage meaning two people that united together..And not have to assume its a man and a woman...it wouldnt throw me for a loop or sound like babble to me..if indeed the word in any specific conversation was referring to a same sex union..

Love

Dallas

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
:thud:

Dopp, I mean building words that use fundamental Latin roots (like these) but have no association with the root whatsoever.

Where does this happen in English?
Off the top of my head,

- many cameras have no chamber.
- in Canada, the word "hydro" is used for all electric utility power, not just that generated from hydroelectricity. (edit: I know that one's a Greek root, not Latin, but you seem to put a lot of weight in those as well)
- many logos contain no words whatsoever.
- "dictate" applies to any sort of commands, not just spoken ones.
- ecology is the study of the world's environment, not houses
- "homophobia" is applied to hatred of homosexuals, not just fear.
- glossy paint does not involve licking or tongues.

Last edited:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
It's completely relevant! All of these words are built directly on their roots, just like marriage.

And they haven't changed either. There are many examples of words (as many here are trying to show you) that show exactly the change you are saying doesn't occur. Just because that change hasn't occurred in those specific examples doesn't mean it doesn't occur. It occurs all the time.

A

angellous_evangellous

Off the top of my head,

- many cameras have no chamber.
- in Canada, the word "hydro" is used for all electric utility power, not just that generated from hydroelectricity.
- many logos contain no words whatsoever.
- "dictate" applies to any sort of commands, not just spoken ones.
- ecology is the study of the world's environment, not houses
- "homophobia" is applied to hatred of homosexuals, not just fear.
- glossy paint does not involve licking or tongues.

All of these examples, though, still have relationships to their roots.

doppelganger

All of these examples, though, still have relationships to their roots.
Then so is "marriage" applied to gays and lesbians. You just broaden what you emphasize as the meaning of the root, which is why you can say "hydro," while having nothing to do with water, could still be related to its root. Like I said, we do this all the time.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

That's the thing. We're not just using random words without any association to shared meanings. That would be ridiculous. The fact is that pretty much anyone understands the term "gay marriage". We are using shared meanings, that's how we communicate. Those shared meanings change over time, though. The shared meaning of "Marriage" now is "a [supposed] lifelong union between two people [who love each other]". You're the one ignoring the shared meaning.

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;1326004 said:
Now THAT is an oxymoron.

How so? I've given examples:

A bicycle cannot have three wheels. The reason why it don't make sense is "bi" is so strong that it cannot be used to describe a group of three.

A

angellous_evangellous

That's the thing. We're not just using random words without any association to shared meanings. That would be ridiculous. The fact is that pretty much anyone understands the term "gay marriage". We are using shared meanings, that's how we communicate. Those shared meanings change over time, though. The shared meaning of "Marriage" now is "a [supposed] lifelong union between two people [who love each other]". You're the one ignoring the shared meaning.

No, I recognize that the word is used improperly.