• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Use of the word: marriage

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
You touched on "hydro" with dopp (though I don't agree with your assessment), but what about the others?

- In what way is a digital camera without a physical shutter (and therefore without a "chamber") still related to the root word camera, meaning "room or chamber"?
- In what way is a graphical "logo" containing no words related to the root word logos, meaning "word"?
- In what way is a written or otherwise unspoken "dictate" related to the root word, meaning speech?
- ecology... that one I'll give you. If you think of the world as "our home", then the root fits.
- In what way are "phobias" that do not involve fear related to their root word?
- In what way is a "glossy" surface that did not become "glossy" through licking related to the root word, meaning tongue?

Maybe...just maybe...we take some words and apply meaning to it in the context of other words used with it???..Or even visuals for that matter..

Like if someone just says "fire"...without any other information..I dont know weather I should dial 911 to the fire dept..discharge a weapon...or get rid of an employee...

Those are pretty different meanings I would say..for the same word..

But with marriage..I think that all be it way more narrow in meaning/meanings..its not nearly as far of a stretch..or even a stretch at all to include same sex couples that united as part of what that word could mean if you read it or hear it spoken out loud..the confusion you spoke of..not being able to understand or communicate..wouldnt be present for me if I heard that word and knew it possiblly meant a man and a woman..a man and a man...or a woman and a woman..

Love

Dallas

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;1326073 said:
Of course God could do it. He's an artist whose medium is words. Check your Bible.

Would we be able to recognize something that God draws with corners as a circle?

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Like if someone just says "fire"...without any other information..I dont know weather I should dial 911 to the fire dept..discharge a weapon...or get rid of an employee...
From the Greek pyr those actually could all be associated with the idea of something burning or being immolated, which makes "firing" an employee seem like a pretty brutal thing to do.

A

angellous_evangellous

Is it also imprecise to call my digital photo-taking device a "camera"?

IMHO, the modern camera is a good example... part of the meaning of these words "camera" and perhaps "photograph" (we're writing with digital technology and not light) have a certain elasticity - the outcome of the action produces a similar product, but the mechanics are different. The continuation of the outcome is certainly directly linked with the history of the word.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
doppelgänger;1326079 said:
From the Greek pyr those actually could all be associated with the idea of something burning or being immolated, which makes "firing" an employee seem like a pretty brutal thing to do.

Agreed...I wouldnt want that job..Nor firing a weapon if it was aimed at a person..

Maybe thats why being "fired" from your job ranks right up there stress wise with loss of a loved one(death)...and divorce...

Love

Dallas

doppelganger

IMHO, the modern camera is a good example... part of the meaning of these words "camera" and perhaps "photograph" (we're writing with digital technology and not light) have a certain elasticity - the outcome of the action produces a similar product, but the mechanics are different.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

And hence, "marriage" can be regarded as having a defining characteristic other than the genitalia of its participants.

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;1326081 said:
Are you a closet Objectivist? Of course we could - if we call that thing a "circle". :yes:

No. Like I said, I recognize that language is constantly in flux, but there is considerable stability in some languages... so much so that we can say - "that word is used incorrectly" or imprecisely. I've listed some very strong examples, but like I said, we will be able to readily find people who use words carelessly... like describing a three-wheeled bicycle. We are free to do what we want regardless of any scope of meaning.

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;1326088 said:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

And hence, "marriage" can be regarded as having a defining characteristic other than the genitalia of its participants.

Well, it is, imprecisely.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Actually for me...Upon thinking of it..is more like the word "baby"...

If you hear the word baby..or the words "its a baby"..that can mean male or female..and be of any species of animal that is not an adult...

But they are all recognized as babies none the less..

What Im saying is its an easy step for me..to broaden what the term marriage "includes" as far as who can be included as having one..Except its even easier..Because gays and straights are all human beings..

Marriage=two people (mixing together)

(or some ingredients or a mixture of something!!! LOL))..

Love

Dallas

doppelganger

No. Like I said, I recognize that language is constantly in flux, but there is considerable stability in some languages... so much so that we can say - "that word is used incorrectly" or imprecisely.

Unless it reasonably usefully conveys a meaning between the participants to a communication, in which case it is neither incorrect nor imprecise.

Yours is an argument for Objectivism. I think this underlies why you and I have never been able to get anywhere with our one-on-one discussions, especially when they had to do with Nietzsche.

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;1326101 said:
Unless it reasonably usefully conveys a meaning between the participants to a communication, in which case it is either incorrect nor imprecise.

Yours is an argument for Objectivism. I think this underlies why you and I have never been able to get anywhere with our one-on-one discussions, especially when they had to do with Nietzsche.

By no means. A relativist can hold to a common sense. I am arguing that some meanings have relative strength that can be measured, and what gives this meaning is agreement (as you say).

Last edited by a moderator:

doppelganger

By no means. A relativist can hold to a common sense. I am arguing that some meanings have relative strength that can be measured, and what gives this meaning is agreement (as you say).
Then what do you think you're arguing about? It looks like you agree: there can be three-wheeled bicycles, circles with sides and marriages that aren't between one man and one woman, so long as those words are reasonably useful to communicate meaning.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
doppelgänger;1326069 said:
Winner's circles are often oblong.
And often contain the top three finishers, not just the winner.

Keeping with the sporting theme, I've seen many stadiums that don't have a running track, let alone one the length of a Greek stadion. And many arenas have no sand at all.

IMHO, the modern camera is a good example... part of the meaning of these words "camera" and perhaps "photograph" (we're writing with digital technology and not light) have a certain elasticity - the outcome of the action produces a similar product, but the mechanics are different. The continuation of the outcome is certainly directly linked with the history of the word.
Same for same-sex marriage. The same outcomes (e.g. a committed romantic pairing or a family unit) proceed out of it. This is in keeping with the history of the word, regardless of root.