• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Use of the word: marriage

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;1326006 said:
Then so is "marriage" applied to gays and lesbians. You just broaden what you emphasize as the meaning of the root, which is why you can say "hydro," while having nothing to do with water, could still be related to its root. Like I said, we do this all the time.

But it still has the relationship to the root, because when one thinks about it, it refers to the primary source of power in the area - water-power, even though it is used imprecisely to refer to other power sources. (referring to the example above)

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
But it still has the relationship to the root, because when one thinks about it, it refers to the primary source of power in the area - water-power, even though it is used imprecisely to refer to other power sources. (referring to the example above)
Exactly, you've changed the emphasis to something other than what the latin root meant. Oila!

doppelganger

Real simple: if it's being used, then it is useful. It really doesn't matter whether it's consistent with the latin and greek roots anymore.

And even bi- could some day be associated with a word that no longer means just two. Maybe it hasn't yet, but it certainly could.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I just dont think its too far of a stretch to "include" same sex couples in the word..I know Im ignorant..But marriage to me in a nutshell means "union" or to "come together"...and its more of an action word than a noun in my tiny little mind..

Love

Dallas

doppelganger

Bi the way,

P11162999.jpg

That's a "Titan Pro Three Wheeled Bicycle." :D

Triton Pro Three-wheeled 20-inch Cruiser Bicycle from Overstock.com

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
All of these examples, though, still have relationships to their roots.
You touched on "hydro" with dopp (though I don't agree with your assessment), but what about the others?

- In what way is a digital camera without a physical shutter (and therefore without a "chamber") still related to the root word camera, meaning "room or chamber"?
- In what way is a graphical "logo" containing no words related to the root word logos, meaning "word"?
- In what way is a written or otherwise unspoken "dictate" related to the root word, meaning speech?
- ecology... that one I'll give you. If you think of the world as "our home", then the root fits.
- In what way are "phobias" that do not involve fear related to their root word?
- In what way is a "glossy" surface that did not become "glossy" through licking related to the root word, meaning tongue?

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;1326029 said:
Exactly, you've changed the emphasis to something other than what the latin root meant. Oila!

But the relationship is still there. :rolleyes:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

doppelganger

WOW...thats a lot of language to describe a "bike"... :yes:

Love

Dallas
Not really. The first part is the brand, the second is the wheel size. The pertinent part is that it's a "Three-wheeled bicycle".

And this is a nice example because it illustrates one of the many ways evolving language and culture can even redirect a basic root like "bi-".

We have a specific image we associate with "tricycle," which is generally regarded as a vehicle for infants and toddlers. There are other essential characteristics that define a bicycle that are more in common with this vehicle than they are with the little three-wheelers toddlers ride. Thus, a three-wheeled bicycle.

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;1326062 said:
No, it isn't. The word is used to refer to any plant that generates power, whether involving water or not. Seriously, Nate, I'm having trouble believing you aren't seeing this.

I see that they are using the word imprecisely, which happens all the time.