• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unfortunate circumstances

King Phenomenon

IF I had to choose between "having children and messing them up" or "not having children and clear my own mess up", I would go for the last one

True, most parents do their best. Many even are determined not to make the same mistakes as their parents did.
That's true about not repeating mistakes.

That doesn't always work out that way for some people as I'm sure your aware. Sometimes women get pregnant by accident etc.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Perhaps that's the source of the worlds problems. Teaching our children how to judge because they lack judgment.
Yes, very important that people learn how to discriminate. Especially focus on their own mistakes first. Religious judging is mostly the opposite.

Well they should probably be informed about all the other religions and study them for a while and at least be a little older before they can choose one
I studied a few religions. No need to decide to stick to the first one for me. So the earlier I start to study, the sooner I find the right one. I agree that it's good to beware that young children don't fall in dangerous sects (the ones that brainwash members or worse). So if I had kids and they wanted to try a religion, I probably would try it with them (or try it myself even before letting them step into it).

No I meant children are the devils ha ha
That I would never have thought. My mother said some time ago "you were always so nice, when you were a kid, we had no problems whatsoever with you".:)

King Phenomenon

Yes, very important that people learn how to discriminate. Especially focus on their own mistakes first. Religious judging is mostly the opposite.

I studied a few religions. No need to decide to stick to the first one for me. So the earlier I start to study, the sooner I find the right one. I agree that it's good to beware that young children don't fall in dangerous sects (the ones that brainwash members or worse). So if I had kids and they wanted to try a religion, I probably would try it with them (or try it myself even before letting them step into it).

That I would never have thought. My mother said some time ago "you were always so nice, when you were a kid, we had no problems whatsoever with you".:)
Apparently mommy didn't know everything ha ha

Or did she?

stvdv

That's true about not repeating mistakes.

That doesn't always work out that way for some people as I'm sure your aware. Sometimes women get pregnant by accident etc.
Yes, I am very aware of that. I was not even thinking about getting pregnant. More about not having transformed harmful habits.

stvdv

Apparently mommy didn't know everything ha ha

Or did she?
Yes, I was just a very nice boy. What to do? Age 2 my mother tried to make me to drink coffee, I refused. Age 7 I was very much against them smoking while I was in the same room/car. Age 10 I told my mother "if Jesus is on earth I go there". Age 16 my father offered me alcohol, but I was not interested.

Must be some other life, that I did all the bad stuff, and figured out it's not my way to go:D. Lucky parents to get such an easy son. Probably they had good karma too.

Last edited:

A Vestigial Mote

Yeah that's what I thought people would do just talk about how they believe in evolution yada yada yada. I believe someone can just state that they reject evolution in and not be a problem. I'm glad I have the knowledge now that people think I'm a flake. I never knew
"Knowing is half the battle" - G.I. Joe

Vee

Premium Member
I recently learned there's a lot of negativity from people who accept evolution towards those who reject it. I've always known that some religious people persecute others that don't believe what they believe, but in light of what I recently learned the picture is becoming clearer to me now. I'm also aware that this topic isn't the only source of tension between people's. I think it's very important to respect what others believe as long as they're not pushing it down peoples throats and not harming anyone. As far as raising children goes I think it's OK to introduce children to a religion and keep it light and simple. They'll grow up and make up their own minds. One could say why not introduce all religions of the world to them but I think one is good enough. I mean realistically children can only handle so much with school, activities, playtime and downtime etc.

You make some good points there. I think children should be educated in all sorts of subjects and they should learn to think for themselves, that way they will be smart enough to make good choices when they become adults. That applies to religion and everything else.

Wandering Monk

I recently learned there's a lot of negativity from people who accept evolution towards those who reject it. I've always known that some religious people persecute others that don't believe what they believe, but in light of what I recently learned the picture is becoming clearer to me now. I'm also aware that this topic isn't the only source of tension between people's. I think it's very important to respect what others believe as long as they're not pushing it down peoples throats and not harming anyone. As far as raising children goes I think it's OK to introduce children to a religion and keep it light and simple. They'll grow up and make up their own minds. One could say why not introduce all religions of the world to them but I think one is good enough. I mean realistically children can only handle so much with school, activities, playtime and downtime etc.

Still tilting at windmills.

I grew up in a fundamentalist church. 'Evolution' was called demonic, from Satan, would lead to communism, resulted in immoral lifestyles, was part of an antichrist plan to take over the world. and on and on.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
No doubt there separate. I just believe God made humans. And I also reject evolution. If they link in anyway I guess that's up to the individual
That’s fine. I have no qualms about other people’s beliefs.
I’m just saying, I don’t think pushback against anti scientific stances (and I’d argue that rejecting a Scientific Theory is by definition “anti science”) is not really indicative of disrespect, more so frustration.
How would you like to study a subject to death only for someone to basically equate your educated findings to that of mere “opinions?”
(In the realm of science, of course.)

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

The hate and derision is perfectly understandable!

After all, I always express anger to people who don't understand scientific concepts. I find that hate, bigotry and name calling works best with people who are needing to gain more information regarding an arena of the sciences. Being a hothead also fosters learning, both for the students and myself.

King Phenomenon

That’s fine. I have no qualms about other people’s beliefs.
I’m just saying, I don’t think pushback against anti scientific stances (and I’d argue that rejecting a Scientific Theory is by definition “anti science”) is not really indicative of disrespect, more so frustration.
How would you like to study a subject to death only for someone to basically equate your educated findings to that of mere “opinions?”
(In the realm of science, of course.)
I'm talking about what I believe not other people and what they study
They shouldn't be offended about what I believe

King Phenomenon

The hate and derision is perfectly understandable!

After all, I always express anger to people who don't understand scientific concepts. I find that hate, bigotry and name calling works best with people who are needing to gain more information regarding an arena of the sciences. Being a hothead also fosters learning, both for the students and myself.
Ok

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm talking about what I believe not other people and what they study
They shouldn't be offended about what I believe
I’m just playing Devil’s advocate. But if I were to say spend years of my life as a palaeontologist and someone (a layman) denied the obvious link between dinosaurs and birds, I think I’d have some choice words for that person. Not offended per se, just incredulous at the professed ignorance.