• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ultimate truth

As per your faith, describe what you and/or your faith considers to be the ultimate truth?

There is none.

The world is too complex for our mediocre intellect to understand, yet we have a great need to see our existence as something other than a purposeless series of random events. As such we construct narratives to explain the various events we experience and create meaning where none exists.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
An extension from another thread.
As per your faith, describe what you and/or your faith considers to be the ultimate truth?
Impermanence and death. (Buddhism)
I can't say that any of my other religions have what one might call an ultimate truth, except perhaps the Taoist "Change is the only constant."

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I don't really know. I fluctuate between the skepticism, that truth is a human idea and the idea that we all should try to unite in "all humans are equal as humans and different as individuals".

David T

Premium Member
Unity. My religion teaches that we are all united.
We breathairians agree. Our belief is that everyone is welcome. Everyone breathes. We also believe if you dont pay attention fall into a trance and the universe instantly appears as either automatic or guided by an external force causing to appear automatic. We believe its over thinking we believe.

David T

Premium Member
Impermanence and death. (Buddhism)
I can't say that any of my other religions have what one might call an ultimate truth, except perhaps the Taoist "Change is the only constant."
"Change is the only constant"

I think thats heraclitus if i am not mistaken. But he was the same way as taoism. Which btw both existed at time same time in history.

David T

Premium Member
There is none.

The world is too complex for our mediocre intellect to understand, yet we have a great need to see our existence as something other than a purposeless series of random events. As such we construct narratives to explain the various events we experience and create meaning where none exists.
There is none.

The world is too complex for our mediocre intellect to understand.

Contradiction. One is an ultumate truth the other says it does not exist!

The secret is in the issue of the peanut sized region of the brain called the intellect. Its the HEADQUARTERS of the baffoon region while the remainder goes about its business in spite of it, not becsuse of it. The rest of the brain does not care about the peanut gallery the intellect. It loves itself way too much. Mental hospitals are full of over self hugging intellects.

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Thank you for the question.

To me the ultimate truth is to come to know and Love God. I see all of creation is given for that purpose.

'He hath known God who hath known himself.'

Regards Tony

Last edited:

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
I don't think you can say that the Ultimate Truth can be associated with any particular faith. It is beyond duality, beyond a subject observing an outside world of objects, it transcends time, place and person, so there is no outside, everything is Supreme Consciousness, is One and is internal. The personal dualistic idea of an inside consciousness and an objective world is just part of a dream or illusion as seen from the Ultimate Truth, we are His Cosmic dream or mind projection (including our own thoughts and dreams).

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't think you can say that the Ultimate Truth can be associated with any particular faith. It is beyond duality, beyond a subject observing an outside world of objects, it transcends time, place and person, so there is no outside, everything is Supreme Consciousness, is One and is internal. The personal dualistic idea of an inside consciousness and an objective world is just part of a dream or illusion as seen from the Ultimate Truth, we are His Cosmic dream or mind projection (including our own thoughts and dreams).

There is an old saying: “Knowledge is one point, which the foolish have multiplied”

Regards Tony

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
My response on the other thread....

If there is one God who created all things, then there is only one truth. But because it's like finding a needle in a haystack, it isn't obvious just what that truth is...or who has it. Yet there is something in us that drives that search, and I believe that it can be either a frustrating, or a fruitful exercise, depending on what kind of effort we put into it....and what our expectations are. Rather than us choosing God, he is actually choosing us. (John 6:44, 65)

Could it be that the path to life is what Jesus said it was...."cramped and narrow" and that human selfishness would deter most people from entering the gate that leads to life because it's a difficult road to travel? (Matthew 7:13-14) It isn't God who makes it difficult.....we have a common enemy who is bent on keeping the truth from us, confusing us with alternate routes and detours to nowhere.

If Jesus said that the majority would choose the only other path there is, a wide easy 'superhighway' (meaning that those who take the easy road in their search, are actually all heading in the same direction, in different lanes, but in the opposite direction) so if that is the case then, we have to stop and think about what direction we want to take because it's all about the destination. If only the difficult road leads to life and the other easy road leads to death, what are we choosing to believe....and why? Where are our decisions leading us?

It occurs to me that most people are looking to put God and religion into a box that fits in with what they require....rather than us fitting ourselves into what God requires. We often want to make God and religion into something that suits what we want to believe, rather than finding out who God is and asking for directions on how to bring our thoughts and actions into harmony with what he wants us to be.

I see this life as the qualifying test for the real one to come. Humans were given the real one in the beginning, but they lost it. Why? Because someone suggested that they would be better off making their own choices in life, independently.
Selfishness prompted that choice and we have been selfishly using our free will ever since. Has it ever worked for our benefit? Never! So here we are, showing God who we are, and what we want....but is it what God wants?

This life then becomes like a citizenship test. What God is offering, is exactly what humans lost in the beginning, (paradise on earth, not heaven) but rather than have them misuse their free will indefinitely, he allowed them to see where it would take them. We are living in an object lesson of mammoth proportions....each of us is showing God whether we belong in his new world or not. (2 Peter 3:13) We are either qualifying or disqualifying ourselves just by the choices we make regarding God, his word and whether we exercise our free will with the welfare of others in mind....something the first humans failed to do. It was a seemingly insignificant act, but it led to the downfall of all humanity. It teaches us not to devalue what God values. Yet the majority of humans alive today have no idea that what they choose has eternal consequences.

May we all choose wisely.

arthra

Baha'i

"What is the truth?" This question is asked today as eagerly as in the days of Imperial Rome. Again there is a vital shifting of values; a running to and fro; a falling away from the old and an earnest search for the new. What must one believe? Where pin one's faith?
Is truth to be found in the old denominationalism? If so, it is a very divided truth, a truth in rebellion against itself; and that cannot be, for truth is harmonious, catholic, whole. Is it to be found in any one of the existing world religions to the exclusion of all others? So once thought the adherents of each great world religion. But truth as the exclusive possession of one race, of one religion, is as illogical as that truth should be confined to one sect.
Is truth then relative? God forbid. It is neither fractional, nor formless. Truth is one for the whole world; one and indivisible, for the whole universe."

(SOW - Star of the West, Star of the West - 6)

In another citation on truth Abdul-Baha declares:

'Abdu'l-Bahá thus reveals to us the beauty of truth and the ultimate goal of man's attainment:
"What is truth? Truth is the word of God, which gives life to humanity. It restores sight to the blind and hearing to the deaf; it makes eloquent those who are dumb, and living beings out of dead beings; it illumines the world of heart and soul; it reduces into nothingness the iniquities of the neglectful and erring ones. Beauty, perfection, brilliancy and spirituality in this existence come from or through the word of God. For all it is the supreme goal, the greatest desire, the cause of life, light, instruction. The road to attain to this Truth is the love of God. When the light of the love of God is burning in the mirror of the heart, that flame shows the way and guides to the Kingdom of the Word of God.
"As to what causes the growth of the love of God, know that it is to turn one's self toward God."

(SOW - Star of the West, Star of the West - 8)

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Dukkha. And it isn't life is dukkha, existence is dukkha
Is dukkha meaningless?

I propose that in Buddhism dukkha is meaningful. And because of that Buddhism is not nihilism.

There are other examples that support this proposition.