• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump threatens Cohens family?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
While that's true, it can't be ignored he did pick Pence for his VP and he did reach out to the Evangelical crowd even before the 2016 election. Selecting Pence alone screamed that Trump would have to play to Evangelical wants. Sure, he said a lot of things, but actions speak louder than words. Picking Pence screamed much louder than Trump spoke when he said transgender people would be protected under him and he invited Caitlyn to use the women's restroom at Trump Tower. Sort of like how he said he would be pro-weed, then appointed an extremely anti-weed guy to the top law enforcement position in the Union.
If anything, what will sum up Trump's presidency is the old saying "actions speak louder than words."
Do you think that Trump picked Pence because they're kindred spirits in religious fervor?
Or that Pence was useful in getting votes he'd garner?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Or that Pence was useful in getting votes he'd garner?
That has been my believe ever since he chose Pence. Trump is an outsider, didn't have an Evangelical approved record, and he had to do something to garner these safe Republican votes if he wanted to win. That crowd he needed, even though some were angered over Pence caving to economic pressure to scrap his RFRA bill, he still brought the Evangelical crowd with him. He's fought to keep gay marriage out of Indiana even after the Supreme Court legalized it in all states. He tried to disprove evolution/prove creationism before the state senate. And he is Mr. "Christian. Conservative. Republican. In that order." How nice of him to neglect mentioning that he is also an American.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Trump is an outsider, didn't have an Evangelical approved record, and he had to do something to garner these safe Republican votes if he wanted to win.
Picking Pence was a seriously cynical move on Trump's part. But it worked. His decades as High Priest of Mammon weren't popular amongst the evangelicals who the Republicans depended on. But holding up a Bible and saying something churchy and adding Pence to the ticket was enough to get Christians to forget about Christian values.
Tom

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Picking Pence was a seriously cynical move on Trump's part. But it worked. His decades as High Priest of Mammon weren't popular amongst the evangelicals who the Republicans depended on. But holding up a Bible and saying something churchy and adding Pence to the ticket was enough to get Christians to forget about Christian values.
Tom
Pretty much. I'm still stunned that he wasn't crucified on national TV for dissing a Gold Star family. I had thought Conservatives were vehemently pro-military, and such a thing would be an unforgivable slight (later they would. after all, blow up over a nobody bench warming football player kneeling during the national anthem). But they showed the world how much their values actually mean to them, and that plenty of them will sacrifice their values at a moments notice out of spite.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
If real, one would expect some evidence...something more than convenient claims.
Screenshots...letters...emails...recordings...something.
Talk of an investigation is not a threat on anyone's life.
I think that Trump’s public statements, on Twitter and Fox News, regarding Cohen’s father in law are sufficient evidence of witness tampering. The goal of these comments was clearly to make Cohen reconsider his testimony before Congress.

This kind of behaviour should not be acceptable in a President.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think that Trump’s public statements, on Twitter and Fox News, regarding Cohen’s father in law are sufficient evidence of witness tampering. The goal of these comments was clearly to make Cohen reconsider his testimony before Congress.

Claiming "witness tampering" by such public statements is quite a stretch.
Besides, we tolerate more egregious acts of it, eg, Bill Clinton's having
been not convicted of subornation of perjury. Presidents get away with
a lot in Ameristan, so prosecution for feigned claims would go nowhere.
Wait for Mueller's investigation to be finished....get something real.

Btw, I'm trying on "Ameristan" for size.
I think it's an improvement on "Americastan".
I'm sure you agree, eh.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Claiming "witness tampering" by such public statements is quite a stretch.
I say with all due respect, that is a breathtakingly stupid thing to say. You are trying to tell me that the evidence right before your eyes does not count because it is not found hidden in some computer file or secret recording. That is so absurd the word absurd is insufficient.

Trump has been obstructing justice and tampering with witnesses right out in the open since day one. And people refuse to see it because they can’t believe he would be that stupid. Well, he is that stupid, believe it.

GodInUs

Cohen permanantly postpones testimony because Trump is threatening Cohens family.

They are worried he wont be able to testify about Trump anymore.

Why isn't Trump in trouble for threats against his family?
Heres the source our president is threatening Cohen? Nice.
Cohen Postpones House Testimony Over Trump's 'Threats Against His Family'

Besides what we're told to believe on the "idiot box", personally, who is Trump!?

I'm lost and DON'T try and come and find me if it's something from some total complete stranger you heard on the TELL - LIE - VISION.

I don't know Trump personally, but Jesus does!

But answer this Please, "WHO is programming YOU today!?" <Tunnel Voice>

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Trump has been obstructing justice and tampering with witnesses right out in the open since day one.
And now we also see the Stone is being charged with much the same.

I'm still trying to figure out how Trump supporters can see much of anything with such heavy blinders on. We look at the indictments and the plea deals on felony convictions, and yet they are still clueless. Me thinks they have a rather nasty case of ostrichitis, especially since honest people wouldn't hang around so many that are felons and morally bankrupt by almost any moral standards one can think of. Remember the old saying, "You are like the company you keep".

Well, we are more and more clearly seeing the "company" that Trump has been keeping.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I can see how it could be construed as a threat if the message is, "Don't tell them anything or I'll open investigations against your father-in-law and other family members."
The "threat" of calling for investigation is certainly a common one these days.
But I sense that the article's title intended us to infer something far more nefarious,
& different from what it actually claimed.
But if such calls are to be read that way, then many media, talking heads, &
posters here have "threatened Trump & his family". But that would be silly, eh.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Uh oh....that never precedes anything respectful.

Hey, I was right!
I've been polite enuf to not offer my opinion of your intelligence, education, & TDS.
Let's just agree to disagree.
And I am also polite enough not to comment on your intelligence. I commented on the statement, not the person who made it. Some people don’t see that distinction, but I live by it. Sometimes very intelligent people say (and do) stupid things. (Even me)

( and btw, I am sure you have accused me of TDS in the past, don’t play holier than thou with me)

Shad

Veteran Member

This type of claim failed in court and the FBI. Comey being fired it failed. It failed with Stormy Daniels suit. It failed for the Travel Ban. Even left-wing organizations have argued against this as a valid case especially as he could claim it was a suggesting and request to government, which he has the power to do. The burden of proof must establish the threat directly not merely speculation thus real evidence of threats outside a tweet. Cohen's response is not evidence of a threat.

Last edited:

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
The "threat" of calling for investigation is certainly a common one these days.
But I sense that the article's title intended us to infer something far more nefarious,
& different from what it actually claimed.
But if such calls are to be read that way, then many media, talking heads, &
posters here have "threatened Trump & his family". But that would be silly, eh.
Well yeah, because none of us have anywhere near the amount of power that Trump holds.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well yeah, because none of us have anywhere near the amount of power that Trump holds.
Pelosi doesn't seem to be lacking in that department.
But aside from that, we'll have to disagree about whether
Cohen is blowing smoke by complaining about threats.

Hey, you know....given that Democrats are really feeling their
oats using the power of investigation to crush their enemies,
it could very well be that Trump is learning from them.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Pelosi doesn't seem to be lacking in that department.
But aside from that, we'll have to disagree about whether
Cohen is blowing smoke by complaining about threats.

Hey, you know....given that Democrats are really feeling their
oats using the power of investigation to crush their enemies,
it could very well be that Trump is learning from them.
I am surprised that those blinders aren't impeding your breathing.
Tom