• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump Acquitted

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Today I listened to coverage by 2 foes....OAN & NPR
specifically for differences in coverage. It was interesting
to see each fervently sell acquittal & conviction respectively.
They even used some of the same audio clips (of Dems'
fighting words) to different purpose.
It illuminates how easy it is to be firmly 1 way or the other.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I doubt any of the victims of Trump's mobs incited by him at the Capitol will be quite so fond of it.

It's curious how little attention is paid in the larger media outlets to the dozens of injuries suffered by the Capitol Police. They aren't scratches by any means. Yet, almost no mention at all that I've seen. What about you?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I don't watch Fox News, but I've been hearing they did a whitewash of the trial. Stuff like cut away from showing any of the new video presented during the trial, and air Fox and Friends pretending to discuss the ongoing proceedings while apparently not even bothering to watch the trial they were moment to moment commenting on. Anyone know anything about that?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Today I listened to coverage by 2 foes....OAN & NPR
specifically for differences in coverage. It was interesting
to see each fervently sell acquittal & conviction respectively.
They even used some of the same audio clips (of Dems'
fighting words) to different purpose.
It illuminates how easy it is to be firmly 1 way or the other.
That's good... it also shows how one can manipulate interpretations.

Will Trump run again in 2024? He's the leader as of now.
I hope that if he does run he does not use the verbal tactics he has used in the past. I do not agree with that, not because he's wrong, but because it's wrong and I want people at that level to use gentle diplomacy, and that goes for EVERYONE in Washington.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I hope that if he does run he does not use the verbal tactics he has used in the past. I do not agree with that, not because he's wrong, but because it's wrong and I want people at that level to use gentle diplomacy, and that goes for EVERYONE in Washington.

Attack politics accompanied by rudeness is here to stay I'm afraid. I don't like it either, but the essential problem is that it works. He did bring it to a new level of low.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The most astonishing thing of all is Mitch McConnell, in a speech following acquital, gave a speech which 99.2% of could have been given by the prosecution, going so far as to actually call Trump morally and actually responsible.

After he voted to acquit, of course.

He says that the jurisdictional question is up for debate, and that the text in the Constitution is ambiguous. But the Constitution GIVES the Senate the right and responsibility to make the rules, and the Senate did exactly that.

Is there a slippier eel in all of the American government?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Is anyone surprised by this?

It's the radical politics of America that is doing this

It reminds me of a family where they support their kid in a divorce NO MATTER what. It's sad that so much of humanity is operating on such a low level of thought.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Hear! Hear!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
So your guess is a 'no'. He's been full of surprises to date. If GOP can't find somebody somewhat dynamic, he might.

Trump is anything but out of options. Me, I trying to be wise by taking unusual care speculating. To me, the only thing I suspect is likely to happen is he's likely to have multiple suits and even perhaps some criminal charges filed against him over the next few months, but I am not about to claim any or all of that is sure to land a knock out blow.

So far as I can see, people in his class are hugely attractive to lenders, and find them in numbers even when the more usual sources cut them off. I wonder how many Saudi's would lend him money in gratitude for all that he's done preventing a man's murder from having any repercussions in Saudi Arabia. And who can't figure out that Trump's hand in delaying any blow black against Putin for placing a bounty on American corpses might earn him a 'loan' or two?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I hope that if he does run he does not use the verbal tactics he has used in the past.

He won't change in this lifetime. To hope for anything else is to be at best disappointed.

I want people at that level to use gentle diplomacy, and that goes for EVERYONE in Washington.

I want that as well. But given those that are aiding, abetting, inciting and joining insurrection and treason, it's hardly possible. Those on the right who had the opportunity to reach for that goal have for the most part gone the opposite way and embraced the evil negativity of Trump. There are a few conservatives of honor and integrity in Congress, but they are very much in the minority.

"Every disease that submits to a cure shall be cured: but we will not call blue yellow to please those who insist on still having jaundice, nor make a midden of the world’s garden for the sake of some who cannot abide the smell of roses.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Great Divorce

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's curious how little attention is paid in the larger media outlets to the dozens of injuries suffered by the Capitol Police. They aren't scratches by any means. Yet, almost no mention at all that I've seen. What about you?
I would agree with that. I watched the entire prosecution's case over the first two days, glued to the whole thing both days. They really brought the spotlight on the cops and how they were brutalized and traumatized by Trump's dangerous cult followers, following his orders to fight like hell. The cops were horribly attacked, called traitors, racial slurs, beatings, etc. All this from a religious faction that calls themselves patriots and supporters of the police.

Yeah, it's all pretty disgusting. But I think the trial was more about letting all of us know what this former President with blood on his hands did to America. He deserves prison.