• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Three Days and Three Nights

Trichakra

I apologise for the large size of the image, Not sure how to make it smaller; Hope This helps to clear up the issue a bit. There is a whole study on this issue found at this link: http://thedeathandresurection.com/pdf/the death and resurrection.pdf If anyone know's how to resize an image when imbedding it to the forum, I would love a tutorial.

Friday-to-Sunday-does-not-fulfill-prophecy1.png
PDF link keep buffering. I have refresh this link so many time. But not working.

rstrats

Tumah,

re: "Its been 4 years and that new person's arrival would have to coincide with your bumping of your thread."

Are you suggesting that that would be impossible?

lostwanderingsoul

I only know if I paid a travel company for a vacation that was three days and three nights and they then told me I would leave Friday evening and return Sunday morning, I would be pretty upset.

I only know if I paid a travel company for a vacation that was three days and three nights and they then told me I would leave Friday evening and return Sunday morning, I would be pretty upset.

You'd have the right to be upset. It's pretty numbskullery to declare (late) Friday evening to early Sunday morning (even before sunrise) three days, let alone three days and nights. Looking over this thread, the riddle of three days and three nights has already been answered (not Friday, hint hint).

lostwanderingsoul

Yes, I am well aware there were two sabbaths that week. Jesus died before the Passover sabbath on Thursday. Women bought spices AFTER this Thursday sabbath and then rested on the weekly sabath (Saturday ). From Wednesday sunset to Saturday sunset is exactly three days and three nights. There is no proof that Jesus rose on Sunday morning. When the people got there before sunrise, the tomb was already empty. Was it empty for five minutes or five hours or what? Why people do not accept this plain fact is unknown. They look for any excuse not to accept it including sayin that one day and two nights is the same as three days and three nights. think their minds are blinded by Satan and the great false religion Satan controls.

rstrats

Shiranui117,

re: "Friday was day 1, Saturday was day 2, Sunday morning counted as day 3."

How do you account for the missing 3rd night time?

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Shiranui117,

re: "Friday was day 1, Saturday was day 2, Sunday morning counted as day 3."

How do you account for the missing 3rd night time?
Jesus was just making a parallel between His being in the tomb and Jonah being in the whale.

Also note that only once in one Gospel does Jesus ever say "3 days and 3 nights". Every other incident in all the Gospels just specify "three days".

pearl

The Jewish scholar, Pinchas Lapide, who insists the Resurrection was an historical event, has this to say concerning the 'third day'.
"on the third day, although the interval between the crucifixion of Good Friday afternoon until the dawn of Easter Sunday was hardly longer than one and a half days, has also an evidently biblical-Jewish reason. Only in the context of the Hebrew Bible does this expression of the apostles, which certainly is not meant literally, have its underlying significance for the history of salvation; 'On the third day Abraham lifted up his eyes...', on the morning of the third day there were thunders and lightnings, and a thick cloud upon the mountain..', 'on the third day Joseph said to them....' etc.

lostwanderingsoul

No one wants to comment on the two sabbaths that week. There is a Passover holy day sabbath which fell on Thursday and the weekly sabbath which is always on Saturday. Why does everyone have to look for excuses why the Bible does not mean what it says? There is a verse that says the women bought spices AFTER the sabbath and another verse that says the women prepared the spices and then rested on the sabbath. Obviously two sabbaths. And nothing says Jesus rose on Sunday morning. When people went to the tomb Sunday morning it was already empty. Jesus could have been buried Wednesday at sunset and rose Saturday after sunst. Three days and three nights. But everyone wants to prove otherwise.

lostwanderingsoul

If a day can mean any part of a day then a night must mean any part of a night. But there is not any part of three nights. Only Friday night and Saturday night. And the daylight part of Sunday cannot count because Jesus was gone from the tomb before daylight. Still comes back to the two different sabbaths that week. Any comments? Or everyone prefers to look for excuses?

rstrats

With another new year, maybe someone new looking in will know of examples as requested in the OP and clarified in further posts. And again, remember that the purpose of this topic is not to discuss how long the Messiah was in the heart of the earth. As stated, there are other topics that do that. However, there are some who say that Matthew 12:40 is using common Jewish idiomatic language to try to explain the missing 3rd night, which would have to be the case with a 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection. But in order to legitimately say that it was employing common, idiomatic/figure of speech/colloquial language, one would have to know of other instances where a daytime or a night time was predicted to be involved with an event when no part of the daytime or no part of the night time could occur. I am simply looking for some of those instances, scriptural or otherwise.

Furball

Then again, friday to sunday is only 2 days so...

Also you have jesus being crucified on two different days in the new testament, as well as two different times, so it is hard to reconstruct what the actual time frame was. Jesus stated that there are 12 hours in a day, leaving 12 hours for night, so you have 24 hours being a whole day just as we count it today. If you go by one gospel account jesus died for only 2 days (48 hours), if you go by another, he was only dead for around 36 hours which is only a day and a half.

lostwanderingsoul

Two different Sabbaths. Passover sabbath on Thursday and weekly sabbath on Saturday. Thursday, Friday, Saturday, three full days and nights. Everyone overlooks the fact that it was at the Passover that Jesus was crucified. And there is a sabbath for the Passover. Instead people would rather look for all kinds of excuses why it was not really three full days and nights. The great false church that controls much of what people hear and believe does not want people to believe the Bible. There are too many other false teachings that might be discovered.

rstrats

Furball,

re: "Then again, friday to sunday is only 2 days so..."

Actually, three calendar days would be involved.

re: "Also you have jesus being crucified on two different days in the new testament..."

To whom are you referring?

re: "... [in] one gospel account jesus died for only 2 days (48 hours)... [in] another, he was only dead for around 36 hours which is only a day and a half."

To which 2 accounts are you referring?

rosends

Two different Sabbaths. Passover sabbath on Thursday and weekly sabbath on Saturday. Thursday, Friday, Saturday, three full days and nights. Everyone overlooks the fact that it was at the Passover that Jesus was crucified. And there is a sabbath for the Passover. Instead people would rather look for all kinds of excuses why it was not really three full days and nights. The great false church that controls much of what people hear and believe does not want people to believe the Bible. There are too many other false teachings that might be discovered.
Please, what is this "Passover sabbath"? I have done some research on the biblical text and see no reference to it. TIA.

rstrats

lostwanderingsoul,

re: " There is a verse that says the women bought spices AFTER the sabbath and another verse that says the women prepared the spices and then rested on the sabbath. Obviously two sabbaths."

Not necessarily. They may have been able to buy more spices again after the seventh day Sabbath ended.

re: " And nothing says Jesus rose on Sunday morning."

Mark 16:9 in the KJV says that "...He rose early on the first day of the week..."

re: "Jesus could have been buried Wednesday at sunset and rose Saturday after sunst.

That would mean that 5 calendar days would have been involved as well as at least a part of each one of 4 daytimes and at least a part of each one of 4 night times.