• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Thin Privilege"

Apparently, there's a concept (probably invented by feminists) of "thin privilege". (Do have a look - it's hilarious!)
Do you think the concept outlined in the article has any truth or substance to it?
Is there such a thing? Or are fat feminists trying to get societal acceptance of unhealthy lifestyles?
I definitely think it's an ideological project not based in fact.
Acknowledge Your THIN PRIVILEGE! AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! | Extra Quirky

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

Rational Agnostic

Apparently, there's a concept (probably invented by feminists) of "thin privilege". (Do have a look - it's hilarious!)
Do you think the concept outlined in the article has any truth or substance to it?
Is there such a thing? Or are fat feminists trying to get societal acceptance of unhealthy lifestyles?

Being fat is a first world privilege.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Im thin and certainly dont feel privileged. Taxes, fuel costs, food bills etc... We all have to pay them and us skinny beanpoles apparently will still have to pay them for an extra 9 years.

PureX

Veteran Member
It has long been established that we humans tend to be biased in favor of those with an athletic, youthful appearance. And that they are more likely to be hired first, paid more, forgiven quicker, and generally catered to in every aspect of life over those who do not exhibit these same traits. And there are several reasons this is a problem. One is that it's unfair, and that it discourages the maximization of people's skills in favor of their appearance, which is irrelevant. The other is that it promotes the dishonest justification of such irrational and counter-productive bias by blaming those it victimizes.

PureX

Veteran Member
Prejudice has many forms: religion, race, nationality and body composition.

We're seeing more and more evidence that weight for many is biologically based and has nothing to do with self-control. The research is ongoing but there is some evidence that fecal transplants can affect weight. Focus: Microbiome: Treating Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome with Fecal Microbiota Transplantation for example
It's also becoming more and more an economic issue, in that healthy foods are more expensive to buy than fattening, processed foods.

GoodbyeDave

There may be some people obese for clinical reasons but for most it's because they're lazy and greedy. Oh yes, and stupid too.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
There may be some people obese for clinical reasons but for most it's because they're lazy and greedy. Oh yes, and stupid too.
Then it's time for tapeworm privilege.

Let them do the eating for you while you gorge on Pizza , Swedish meatballs, and European chocolates to your heart's Delight! Lose weight at the same time to that magical point of thin that will make Calvin Klein proud .

CruzNichaphor

That website is an absolute disgrace.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

OMG!!!!
That's not funny........ it's seriously dreadfully ignorant and moronic, whoever wrote that junk.

This is an extract from that doc:-
Obese people should NOT be subject to anti-discrimination laws and protections similar to disabled people who were BORN with their disability!

While I can't see that this is a feminist driven thing (maybe it is) it is probably unlawful for any mag in Britain to print such stuff.

Nature certainly prepares some humans to survive famines, and these people have very low metabolism, which means that for them, staying thin is nearly an impossibility............ in other words in a condition of plenty they are disabled in this particular way.

If feminists believe in such bigotry then they are a disgrace to Equality-for-all.