• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theists... why the heck are you on Religious Forums?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I'm here to learn and to express my ideas. I am not currently in dasein so I feel comfortable sharing my thoughts without constantly changing directions. I have actually found it easier to understand myself when I understand other people as well. There may be a topic in religion that I didn't consider before but then realize my position, even if that position is at odds with whomever I'm talking to.
22 posts in 10 years? You're like the yang to the yin of @Revoltingest.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Why would someone who belongs to one religion participate in a forum about all religions?
Because I enjoy learning about religions, and how those religions become shining gems with unending facets of each individual's expression of their religion.

I've also learned a lot from people who don't share my religious views; and I even credit learned folks, that mostly don't post here any more, for being a large help in the transition of my faith to the Catholic Church.

Colt

Inspired by this thread.

Why would someone who belongs to one religion participate in a forum about all religions?

We have a small number of members who only ever post in the DIR for their specific religion; I'm not talking about them. But what about the rest of you? What brings you here?

I'm especially interested to hear from those who think that atheists have no business here. If you think atheists shouldn't be discussing other people's religions, why are you here, discussing other people's religions?

Are you proselytizing for your religion? Shopping around for a new religion to convert to? Is there something else that brings you here?
To share beliefs, debate, learn, research etc. Its a forum for religious people.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Why would I want to participate in a forum that was only about MY religion? I know some Christians and even some Baha'is who only participate on Christian and Baha'i forums, but it would be boring to me to only talk to Baha'is.
We have a small number of members who only ever post in the DIR for their specific religion; I'm not talking about them. But what about the rest of you? What brings you here?
One reason I am here is because I cannot get out much because I have to be home to take care of my husband and cats, so I need some social and intellectual stimulation. I used to be here to talk about my religion, but not so much anymore as I have said pretty much all that there is to say, unless there is a new member who does not know about my religion. There is always more I can say about God and I do from time to time. But mostly I am here because I like the people.
I'm especially interested to hear from those who think that atheists have no business here. If you think atheists shouldn't be discussing other people's religions, why are you here, discussing other people's religions?
I am not one to say that atheists have no business on a religious forum. If atheists are interested in religion they have just as much of a right to post on a religious forum as anyone else. The forum I posted on before I came here in 2017 was a religious forum owned by an atheist. I still post on there occasionally.

The only thing I object to are atheists who come here just to poke fun of believers and insult them, and I would say the same thing about a believer who pokes fun of atheists and insults them.

I have no preference towards Baha'is just because I am a Baha'i, as I like all people no matter what they believe or disbelieve. Some of my favorite people on this forum are atheists and admittedly I have an atheist bent, as I believe many atheist arguments are valid.

I believe that the diversity in the human family should be the cause of love and harmony, not a cause for hate and discord.

BEAUTY AND HARMONY IN DIVERSITY

Suave

Simulated character
Inspired by this thread.

Are you proselytizing for your religion? Shopping around for a new religion to convert to? Is there something else that brings you here?
I like the political or current event sections of RF. I also like discussing simulation theory.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Well if you do we could take it in turns. I'll start by quoting Ezekiel and you can counter with something about unicorns. :D

Who the heck is Ezekiel, and why does he keep unicorns?

I cover that by referring to "the Abrahamic god", when referring to the Abrahamic god, or "your god" when responding to an individual. Confusion avoided.

I appreciate that. Many don't.

It's even duller to be on the inside of that, believe me ;)

I will take your word for it!

GardenLady

I have an interest in theology and religious ideas; in some cases, this involves debate about religious ideas. I am disturbed by the YEC perspective and attempts to impose it on others and that is why I participate in the evolution/creationism forum (which I used to participate in on beliefnet back in the day).

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I have an interest in theology and religious ideas; in some cases, this involves debate about religious ideas. I am disturbed by the YEC perspective and attempts to impose it on others and that is why I participate in the evolution/creationism forum (which I used to participate in on beliefnet back in the day).
Wow there's a memory....beliefnet. Wonder what my username was! :p

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Inspired by this thread.

It seems to me you are painting all theists with the same broad brush. I would say that most theists here simply enjoy discussing religion. Like most, they argue for their own point of view. Nothing wrong with that.

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
Inspired by this thread.

I came here looking for members of my faith for fellowship with, as it's too small and niche
to find a dedicated forum for this faith. However, despite there being enough members in the
past to have it's own DIR, there are zero members here currently. So I'm not even declared now.

I have no desire to debate religions nor politics so I do neither. There's enough other content
on here to keep me amused. Sometimes I even contribute, but not that much anymore.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I am intrigued by the obsession many atheists have with the God they claim not to exist.
Not for this one, since I'll leave that possibility in the in-tray, but since religions and religious beliefs do seem to affect the majority of people (but varying as to what they actually believe), it would be rather remiss not to investigate such, especially if one saw the negatives as well as any positives of having any such beliefs. :oops:

Clara Tea

Inspired by this thread.

Some assume that they have the only right religion (otherwise, they'd change religions), and the assume that everyone else is wrong. For them, it is a matter of convincing others. Christians are required by God (according to the Christian bible) to spread the word of God (that is, proselytize).

I think that a very few would like to share information of other religions (along with information about other cultures).

Doesn't it seem strange that God would make his presence known only to a select few in the middle east? Why did God not visit the Americas (as Mormon's believe)? If other cultures contain the true messages of God, perhaps combining all of the messages would give us a clearer view of what God wants?

Clara Tea

I came here looking for members of my faith for fellowship with, as it's too small and niche
to find a dedicated forum for this faith. However, despite there being enough members in the
past to have it's own DIR, there are zero members here currently. So I'm not even declared now.

I have no desire to debate religions nor politics so I do neither. There's enough other content
on here to keep me amused. Sometimes I even contribute, but not that much anymore.

Those who see the next plane, have little need to see the one that we are on? However, shouldn't we obey God while on this plane? Fix the problems (Global Warming....that many deny), homelessness (which could spread diseases to all, since they **** and poop in public and in stream beds that go to sea), unemployment, debt, etc. It was the mixing of religion and politics that got us in this sorry state in the first place.

Clara Tea

Why I initially came here is I had a friend with me. And we wanted something new to do.

Although I may sometimes come off as a loner, I find forums most fun when you have a close friend. Otherwise when someone makes a really funny post or one that is thought-provoking, you have no one to share it with.

And I do realize it probably shouldn't be this way, focusing on another person mostly when there are like 100 people on the forum. But without a little close friendship and banter, things can get old quickly, in my opinion. Things become too much like "posting because this thread needs answers/replies" rather than just living the moment.

But that's just my comfort zone.

The search for warmth begins in one's own heart. If you seek internal tranquility, look within yourself.