• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theists... why the heck are you on Religious Forums?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Why I initially came here is I had a friend with me. And we wanted something new to do.

Although I may sometimes come off as a loner, I find forums most fun when you have a close friend. Otherwise when someone makes a really funny post or one that is thought-provoking, you have no one to share it with.

And I do realize it probably shouldn't be this way, focusing on another person mostly when there are like 100 people on the forum. But without a little close friendship and banter, things can get old quickly, in my opinion. Things become too much like "posting because this thread needs answers/replies" rather than just living the moment.

But that's just my comfort zone.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Inspired by this thread.

Why would someone who belongs to one religion participate in a forum about all religions?

We have a small number of members who only ever post in the DIR for their specific religion; I'm not talking about them. But what about the rest of you? What brings you here?

I'm especially interested to hear from those who think that atheists have no business here. If you think atheists shouldn't be discussing other people's religions, why are you here, discussing other people's religions?

Are you proselytizing for your religion? Shopping around for a new religion to convert to? Is there something else that brings you here?
I came here a theist. I thought I had some really great ideas and it was unfair to the world that I keep them all to myself. I also wanted those ideas to go under scrutiny. So I came here. Scrutinized they are, and I have abandoned most of my theistic beliefs (my Christianity).
So I guess I came to teach and learn. I’ve learnt a bit of humility though and realize I can’t teach a bunch of people who are generally wiser than me :)

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Why would someone who belongs to one religion participate in a forum about all religions?
I have a strong suspicion it is because of this...

Are you proselytizing for your religion?
Because they can't blatantly proselytize, the threads have to put something out there that will entice people to post. If an atheist posts and challenges the point the proselytizer is trying to make, the proselytizer tells them how they are wrong. Then the atheist tells them how they are wrong. For me, it's all good stuff. I learn about what and why people believe the religious things they do. And I learn why, to an atheist, those beliefs are wrong. Where would the debate sections in the forum be without both of them?

Five Solas

Inspired by this thread.

We have a small number of members who only ever post in the DIR for their specific religion; I'm not talking about them. But what about the rest of you? What brings you here?

I'm especially interested to hear from those who think that atheists have no business here. If you think atheists shouldn't be discussing other people's religions, why are you here, discussing other people's religions?

Are you proselytizing for your religion? Shopping around for a new religion to convert to? Is there something else that brings you here?
I am intrigued by the obsession many atheists have with the God they claim not to exist.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, it is not really about that. It is about that some Christians claim authority over our lives.

Sometimes this puts non-Christian theists in an awkward place... You get the Atheist saying "but God said.." and you reply "no God of mine said that" and you either get ignored, or a pinch on the cheek...

I know many of the debates on here are between Christians and Atheists, and come mostly from either of those frames of references... a person can really feel like the odd man out at times, if one doesn't hold one of those views(or doesn't feel like temporarily adopting one for arguments' sake).

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Sometimes this puts non-Christian theists in an awkward place... You get the Atheist saying "but God said.." and you reply "no God of mine said that" and you either get ignored, or a pinch on the cheek...

I know many of the debates on here are between Christians and Atheists, and come mostly from either of those frames of references... a person can really feel like the odd man out at times, if one doesn't hold one of those views(or doesn't feel like temporarily adopting one for arguments' sake).

Well, yes. I do it from time to time. But I also try to forget my Western culture if relevant and go Zen or something like that:
There is no way to God, there are many ways to many Gods and there is only one way to God.

And by Gods I mean all traditions including the non-Western ones and even include the philosophical ones. But I can't shed my Western culture, I can acknowledge it though and take it into account on a good day. :)

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

I know what you mean, I think. And say I talked about wicca, there isn't the readily available knowledge on the subject to carry out say, a 20+ reply conversation unless you have the same 2-3 people replying over and over. It'd take a lot more work because first I'd have to establish the difference between wicca and witchcraft (similar but not exactly the same, in my opinion - two different definitions), or I'd have people just responding to the magic portion even when I don't mention it, then I'd have to start from the beginning as to what I believe as a reference for the readers. I don't feel there is some convenient wicca form of saying "So when X happened to Y in the texts, what did you think?"

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I have a few thoughts on that:

First, monotheistic religion represents most religion. I mean, Christianity and Islam account for about two thirds of the world's religious adherents, so any statement about religion as a whole that's only true for Christianity and Islam is still mostly correct for religion overall.

Second, I think a lot of the criticisms here of Christianity apply to any religion that dominates a society; it's just that English isn't as common in countries with non-Christian dominant religions, and this is an English-language forum.

It seems to me that the big factor that determines how nicely a religion plays with others is whether it's dominant religion or a minority religion; it doesn't really seem to be about the religion's underlying theology.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I have a few thoughts on that:

First, monotheistic religion represents most religion. I mean, Christianity and Islam account for about two thirds of the world's religious adherents, so any statement about religion as a whole that's only true for Christianity and Islam is still mostly correct for religion overall.

Second, I think a lot of the criticisms here of Christianity apply to any religion that dominates a society; it's just that English isn't as common in countries with non-Christian dominant religions, and this is an English-language forum.

It seems to me that the big factor that determines how nicely a religion plays with others is whether it's dominant religion or a minority religion; it doesn't really seem to be about the religion's underlying theology.

I understand that, and I understand that its from this point that most of the debates take place.

Just saying its dull to be on the outside of that.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Inspired by this thread.

I'm mainly here to make the case that religion and science don't need to be in conflict.

But also more generally to learn - and teach a bit. Seems to be a good place to learn about N American politics - or rather, political attitudes! :D

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
I am intrigued by the obsession many atheists have with the God they claim not to exist.
Are you similarly intrigued by teachers' obsession with lack of education, or doctors' obsession with illness?

Last edited:

KWED

I cover that by referring to "the Abrahamic god", when referring to the Abrahamic god, or "your god" when responding to an individual. Confusion avoided.

KWED

That is not even remotely true... unless you take pains to start from a carefully curated understanding of what counts as a "proper and true" religion.
Well, kinda is, in the same way as saying "all diseases are the same". Yes, there may be differences but they all have a negative effect on quality of life, and we would be better off without them.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I'm here to learn and to express my ideas. I am not currently in dasein so I feel comfortable sharing my thoughts without constantly changing directions. I have actually found it easier to understand myself when I understand other people as well. There may be a topic in religion that I didn't consider before but then realize my position, even if that position is at odds with whomever I'm talking to.