• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The validity of intelligent design

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
What are you flapping on about?
Should I type slower?

The first portion of my comment is sarcasm. Personally, I don't understand how anyone with an IQ over 10 could find any appeal in Creation "Science" or "Intelligent" Design. But, that's just me, I guess.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
God clearly doesn't want you to vacation at the beach. I expect you're more likely to get eaten by a shark, so he's keeping you safely away from them via risk of skin cancer. He works in mysterious and unnecessarily convoluted ways. Perhaps god need some practice constructing process flow diagrams and workflow management plans.

Sharks? Since I cannot swim...well, I don't really know if I cannot swim since I never tried, I try to stay clear from sea water. I prefer swimming pools in the children section.

Ciao

- viole

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Sharks? Since I cannot swim...well, I don't really know if I cannot swim since I never tried, I try to stay clear from sea water. I prefer swimming pools in the children section.

Ciao

- viole

You see? God has worked his magic to keep you safe from getting eaten by a shark. Praise be his ultimate and perfect plan!

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
You see? God has worked his magic to keep you safe from getting eaten by a shark. Praise be his ultimate and perfect plan!

A perfect plan that does not consider the happiness of sharks, apparently. They must be bored to death to eat always the same things.

Ciao

- viole

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
A perfect plan that does not consider the happiness of sharks, apparently. They must be bored to death to eat always the same things.

Ciao

- viole

Unbeknownst to both you and the sharks, you would cause a shark that has eaten you to suffer a horrible stomach ache. God's plan wins again!

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Unbeknownst to both you and the sharks, you would cause a shark that has eaten you to suffer a horrible stomach ache. God's plan wins again!

Alleluia. He cannot possibly lose, which should be evidence enough of His divinity.

Ciao

- viole

Altfish

Veteran Member
I think you are missing the point. WE have no evidence the universe was ever in disorder. If it was and now is not, it seems very unlikely that could happen by accident. Therefore God is the cause and order is the effect. During creation God declared what He did "good." When God finished His creation, He declared it very good.
Brilliant. You proclaim that science has no evidence - therefore god did it...without any evidence of course.
Christian apologetics at its best. Lying for Jesus.

minorwork

Destroyer of Worlds
Premium Member
The intelligent design debate has attracted a lot of attention lately. Even after the Kitzmiller v Dover trial, it`s proponents still gain a significant popularity. I`m wondering what you all think of this secular version of creationism. What do you think about the future of intelligent design? Is it valid? Will it stay valid?
Has any yet provided an example of unintelligent design so I can discern if there is a difference or not? If there is not unintelligent design, then the all-inclusive nature of intelligent design is so watered down as to be insignificant at best but likely meaningless.
Intelligence and design are two terms lacking, so far, agreement as to their working definitions. How is there to be any agreement in understanding if all are not on the same page as to working definitions?

How about intelligence for starters? Seeing a pattern in an image like the Face on Mars, how does it go from being purposed for a monument, to a shadow and perspective based jumble?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Oh I agree completely that nothing is so simple that proves there is Gods hand controlling everything. You really have to do some contemplation on it. That there is a method to the madness. Fishing is a good place to contemplate these things.
Provided those things living in the water aren't hell-bent on killing you. Depending upon where you fish. ;0)

DavidFirth

Should I type slower?

The first portion of my comment is sarcasm. Personally, I don't understand how anyone with an IQ over 10 could find any appeal in Creation "Science" or "Intelligent" Design. But, that's just me, I guess.

Well, when you get your IQ above 9 you might just have a whole new perspective on it.

;);););););););););)

Boris56

The intelligent design debate has attracted lot of attention lately. Even after the kitzmiller v dover trial, it`s proponents still gain a significant popularity. I`m wondering what you all think of this secular version of creationism. What do you think about the future of intelligent design? Is it valid? Will it stay valid?
Every Christian college and university in the world that teaches life sciences teaches evolution and has since BEFORE the Scopes trial. 95% of creationists have never set foot on a college campus so they are blissfully unaware that their own schools debunked Intelligent Design Magic a long, long time ago. Lehigh has distanced itself from Behe and Baylor fired Dempski because he is a compulsive liar and a religious fanatic. It's Intelligent Design MAGIC so let's make sure and call it what it really is: MAGIC.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Well, when you get your IQ above 9 you might just have a whole new perspective on it.

;);););););););););)
On the other hand, when and if the Intelligent Design folks actually come up with meaningful answers I might at least read them before I simply burst out laughing. Naw, scratch that. After, what is it? 50 years and the whole Creation Science thingy has produced zero scientific breakthroughs... Believers in this kind of nonsense really do need a good old fashioned reality check.

For example: Can you provide even one minor scientific claim from "Intelligent Design" that the scientific community (outside the Intelligent Design fold) has investigated and then supported. It's OK, I'll wait....

Jon_Roland

ID proponents tend to make two related mistakes: They think that the only way to get from unorganized atoms to cells is one-step, which of course, is highly improbable. So is getting from one cell to a human. They don't understand how molecules and cells can organize themselves into self-replicating, evolving intermediate forms that can make the transitions in relatively short times.

There is a place for examining evidence, not of intelligent design, but of contamination by already-organized forms, such as extraterrestrials. That is how we identify stone tools from among pies of stones, made by our ancestors.

DavidFirth

On the other hand, when and if the Intelligent Design folks actually come up with meaningful answers I might at least read them before I simply burst out laughing. Naw, scratch that. After, what is it? 50 years and the whole Creation Science thingy has produced zero scientific breakthroughs... Believers in this kind of nonsense really do need a good old fashioned reality check.

For example: Can you provide even one minor scientific claim from "Intelligent Design" that the scientific community (outside the Intelligent Design fold) has investigated and then supported. It's OK, I'll wait....

Well, when you close your eyes and ears that's what you get. Try doing some research before you blurt out something as unintelligent as this post that I quoted.

Creation Science

Evidence from Science | The Institute for Creation Research

Center for Scientific Creation | In the Beginning: Compelling Evidence for Creation and the Flood

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
complexity alone means nothing. functionality with specificity shouts intelligent cause. The God thing means nothing.

The mystery is what kind of intelligence is it, not that it exists, or existed, or moved on.

The evidence of intelligent cause has always been profoundly simple. ego blinds the naturalist mind to the very simple.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Well, when you close your eyes and ears that's what you get. Try doing some research before you blurt out something as unintelligent as this post that I quoted.

Creation Science

Evidence from Science | The Institute for Creation Research

Center for Scientific Creation | In the Beginning: Compelling Evidence for Creation and the Flood
You are hilarious. I specifically asked for non-ID sources confirming drivel that the ID crowd has spewed forth.
Granted, reading comprehension is getting rarer with each passing day... ... but still.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
complexity alone means nothing. functionality with specificity shouts intelligent cause. The God thing means nothing.

The mystery is what kind of intelligence is it, not that it exists, or existed, or moved on.

The evidence of intelligent cause has always been profoundly simple. ego blinds the naturalist mind to the very simple.
And one that simpletons tend to espouse...

omega2xx

Brilliant. You proclaim that science has no evidence - therefore god did it...without any evidence of course.
Christian apologetics at its best. Lying for Jesus.

And putting words in my mouth is worse than lying. Also you can't prove I am lying. That makes you statement even worse and is on the edge of being bigoted.