• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The purpose of life

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Humans are part of the universe that came into existence.

Every part of the universe is the universe.

Part of, a very small part of it

Refer to your first post to me then look at the quoted text above...

ChristineM

Premium Member
What are the neurones made of ?

Are you aware that it is posited that quantum computing is happening in the tubules of your neurones ?

That’s the universe at work.

That’s you.

DNA

Nope,thats your nurones at work

ChristineM

Premium Member
Yes.
It means that sometimes we use poetry, metaphor etc to communicate an idea.
Unless we are straightjacketed by a scientific paradigm.

Ah so you think making stuff up makes it easy when you don't understand something.

Cooky

Veteran Member
We can observe. Show me a sentient rock, show me sentient hydrogen, and i will change my mind

You lost me there... Not sure what you're talking about.

Do you want to have a serious conversation? I mean, I'm genuinely curious where you're coming from. I don't want to change your mind.

The question was:
Where did you learn this methodological idea from? Is it some kind of wisdom you can share?

...I mean that in regards to actively objecting to all that is not known empirical knowledge. You didn't get it from science, I know that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cooky

Veteran Member
That is just an outright rude and ignorant remark.

I think she truly doesn't understand that all theories begin with humans consciously imagining ideas.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand." ~ Albert Einstein

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
DNA

Nope,thats your nurones at work

Learn it? Just basic chemist 101, sentient rocks? No... Sentient hydrogen? No.

Ah so you think making stuff up makes it easy when you don't understand something.

OK Ms scientific genius. What exactly is sentience, and how is it not the activity of your body ?

How are your neurones not hydrogen, carbon etc ?

If sentience is neurones, and neurones are arrangements of molecules, and the material universe is also molecules (well, about 0.01% is molecules, most of it is plasma), then how is sentience different from the activity of the very stuff which is the universe ?
And I want real science, not bafflegab and speculation.
If you know I’m wrong, then answer that simple question.

Milton Platt

No. We are composed of dead star dust. We know our individual goals and dreams, well some of us do, but ultimately we don't know what our purpose is until it's revealed. Nobody goes through life knowing anything until it happens. When we see the universe or space we don't look and say we know why we exist unless we take some metaphysical/philosophical/religious position.

Why would we presume there is some purpose to our lives other than the one(s) we assign to them?

Cooky

Veteran Member
Why would we presume there is some purpose to our lives other than the one(s) we assign to them?

Because life "strives" in and of itself all the time.

...What is the notion of "striving" from? Is "striving" possibly a universal or natural law? Because we see it in nature. What else strives I wonder.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud

FYI, that striving is called paraprakriti in the Bhagavad Gita. Krishna tells Arjuna that his His body (the universe) has inferior energy (prakriti - matter in motion) and superior energy, paraprkriti, which consists of those beings striving with prakriti, the material nature.

To me that is poetic and observably meaningful.

Milton Platt

...What is the notion of "striving" from? Is "striving" possibly a universal or natural law? Because we see it in nature. What else strives I wonder.

But is that a purpose or a function? I think the OP was leaning towards something more philosophical or esoteric?

Cooky

Veteran Member
FYI, that striving is called paraprakriti in the Bhagavad Gita. Krishna tells Arjuna that his His body (the universe) has inferior energy (prakriti - matter in motion) and superior energy, paraprkriti, which consists of those beings striving with prakriti, the material nature.

To me that is poetic and observably meaningful.

If we see it in nature, then it's a Natural Law. If something is a Natural Law, it can only follow that it be a Universal Law too.

...We just haven't spotted it out there yet.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
If we see it in nature, then it's a Natural Law. If something is a Natural Law, it can only follow that it be a Universal Law too.

...We just haven't spotted it out there yet.

The territory is not constrained by the map. Although our perception of it may be.