• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The purpose of life

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Any distinction between ‘my body’ and ‘the universe’ is a false dichotomy.
Where exactly does ‘your body’ end, and ‘the universe’ begin ?

Anything which ‘you’ experience is something the universe is experiencing.

Anything you want is something the universe wants.

Because the idea that ‘you’ and ‘the universe’ are separate entities is a perceptual error.

Like I said, ok...

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
The universe is not sentient so does not want anything.

That is my point therefore we cannot presume to know whether the universe is sentient or not. We ultimately don't know why we exist, or why we are bipedal beings or why we eat food and why we are finite beings instead of infinite beings. With that being said the universe whether we listen to space or gaze at it through our telescopes I don't think we'll have the slightest clue. Our existence and the answers we find are individually defined by our own experiences. So although I do believe individual humans have their own purpose on a grand scale ultimately, we don't know the purpose of humanity nor the purpose of humanity's existence on a general scale nor can we accurately infer generally the purpose of human beings.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Why would we presume there is some purpose to our lives other than the one(s) we assign to them?

Because often times when we engage in something that provides meaning to us to which we excel we often times believe that we are intended for such a duty or meant to do such and such things.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Arrogant *****

It is not arrogant it really didn't. Let's dissect this for a moment

‘Life’ is not an entity, and thus purpose does not apply.

For individual entities there isn’t ‘a purpose’. There are many ephemeral conditional purposes.

We swing from tree to tree.

The OP never insinuated that life had sentience, you imparted the idea of sentience by misunderstanding the OP.

I said:

"we don't know what the universe wants" in response to @ChristineM saying that we need to "listen to the universe"

You therefore respond:

"We are the living universe"

I respond in kind:

"We are made up of dead star dust." If you mean we are the living universe then yes we are made up in composition to things that exist in the universe and yes we are living but that is besides the point. You failed to clarify your position clearly and therefore remained ambiguous and unclear hence is why I said it really made no sense.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Dissect it yourself buddy. After making a genuine attempt to communicate my view to you, you made a blanket statement that I simply had no point, so was not worth answering. I have no time for rude arrogance. We’re done.
Anyway, it’s bedtime downunder. Goodnight.

Cooky

Veteran Member

The OP never insinuated that life had sentience, you imparted the idea of sentience by misunderstanding the OP

Sometimes it's a good idea to let people pour through their ideas, and lay them out. Lest we succumb to the reductionist paradigm.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Dissect it yourself buddy. After making a genuine attempt to communicate my view to you, you made a blanket statement that I simply had no point, so was not worth answering. I have no time for rude arrogance. We’re done.

Because you didn't and if you did it was unclear. My position is humility in the sense that we cannot define things universally because individual experiences will define what they view existence as to that individual. What sense does it make to say the purpose of life is this when someone else in a starving country may think their existence is hell? I can't define things for people if I'm not in their mind that is ultimately my point.

Milton Platt

Because often times when we engage in something that provides meaning to us to which we excel we often times believe that we are intended for such a duty or meant to do such and such things.

Yes, those are the self assigned purposes to which I was alluding. Beyond that, there is no reason to suppose an over-arching purpose which lies outside of ourselves.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
You lost me there... Not sure what you're talking about.

Do you want to have a serious conversation? I mean, I'm genuinely curious where you're coming from. I don't want to change your mind.

The question was:

...I mean that in regards to actively objecting to all that is not known empirical knowledge. You didn't get it from science, I know that.

And i told you, chemistry 101, you may not like it but that is not my problem.

Rock is not sentient, some rocks my produce a piezo effect, as good shovking that, i know but thats as good as it gets.

Rock anywhere in the universe is made of the same basic elements, simple spectrographic analysis.

ChristineM

Premium Member
OK Ms scientific genius. What exactly is sentience, and how is it not the activity of your body ?

How are your neurones not hydrogen, carbon etc ?

If sentience is neurones, and neurones are arrangements of molecules, and the material universe is also molecules (well, about 0.01% is molecules, most of it is plasma), then how is sentience different from the activity of the very stuff which is the universe ?
And I want real science, not bafflegab and speculation.
If you know I’m wrong, then answer that simple question.

Who said sentience is not active in your body? The brain is part of the body. Is that your tactic, make up nonsence and pin it on your opponent? From now on i would be obliged if you stick to what i actually said.

Neurones are a cell made of dna. Dna is made from a phosphate and a sugar base and 4 nitrogen bases, no hydrogen required.

Learn some basic chemistry then you will understand there are 94 natural elements, they can make millions of different molecules. So now show me which molecules can combine to firm sentience.

ChristineM

Premium Member
That is my point therefore we cannot presume to know whether the universe is sentient or not. We ultimately don't know why we exist, or why we are bipedal beings or why we eat food and why we are finite beings instead of infinite beings. With that being said the universe whether we listen to space or gaze at it through our telescopes I don't think we'll have the slightest clue. Our existence and the answers we find are individually defined by our own experiences. So although I do believe individual humans have their own purpose on a grand scale ultimately, we don't know the purpose of humanity nor the purpose of humanity's existence on a general scale nor can we accurately infer generally the purpose of human beings.

There may be sentience elsewhere in the universe, it is almost sure there is. But the universe itself does not have the structure for sentence. It is too big, the limitation is the speed of light.

As for purposes, we are insignificant in our own solar system, on a universal scale we are not even a single H2O molecule in all the oceans. It does massage the ego to believe (for whatever reason) that we are here for a reason,. The history of the universe simply does not bare that idea up