• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The purpose of life

Howard Is

Lucky Mud

Any distinction between ‘my body’ and ‘the universe’ is a false dichotomy.
Where exactly does ‘your body’ end, and ‘the universe’ begin ?

Anything which ‘you’ experience is something the universe is experiencing.

Anything you want is something the universe wants.

Because the idea that ‘you’ and ‘the universe’ are separate entities is a perceptual error.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I disagree. It is pretentious for a finite being that is a speck of dust in relation to existence itself to presume anything. We don't know what the universe wants. We have ideas but certainty of knowledge in that regard is not among them.

The universe is not sentient so does not want anything.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Gods in a sense of sharing in God's character and becoming like him in his communicable attributes but not in his incommunicable attributes I think is the meaning

Alternative uses of gods in the Bible are interesting. 3 times in psalms there is a similar calling of corrupt leaders or false world views gods, best shown in English with a lower case g

Ps 82 58 140 I think...

Of course there can be nothing deceitful or evil when partaking in divinity. The application of immoral notions, in and of themselves, would essentially be to reject Him and His divinity. So that would be counter productive in regards to our purpose. A fools errand.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud

Then how are you sentient, unless you are something fundamentally different to ‘the universe’ ?
Atoms and molecules ...your body.
Quantum events...your body.
Abiogenesis and Evolution...your body.

What else could you be ?

The Universe is not a stage set for ‘us’ to live in. It is us, living.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Then how are you sentient, unless you are something fundamentally different to ‘the universe’ ?
Atoms and molecules ...your body.
Quantum events...your body.
Abiogenesis and Evolution...your body.

What else could you be ?

The Universe is not a stage set for ‘us’ to live in. It is us, living.

You are making some wild leaps here, we are of the universe,the universe is not of us, it existed for 13.8 billion years before humans came along.

The universe is one huge stage if thats the way you want to think of it, roughly 93 billion ligh years across that we know of (may be infinitely bigger) we are a tiny mote in its vastness.

Taken from Voyager as it left the influence of our own sun. Essentially just outside the front door

download (3).jpeg

We are insignificant compared to even our own tiny volume of space

Cooky

Veteran Member

How can you be so sure of that, considering how limited our interaction is with the entirety of the universe?

To throw the idea away that we are concious beings stemming from a root, universal consciousness seems quick to react.

The empirical sciences are very limiting. In fact, that's the purpose. But to ignore possibilities means we lose out on progress.

Last edited by a moderator:

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
You are making some wild leaps here, we are of the universe,the universe is not of us, it existed for 13.8 billion years before humans came along.

The universe is one huge stage if thats the way you want to think of it, roughly 93 billion ligh years across that we know of (may be infinitely bigger) we are a tiny mote in its vastness.

Taken from Voyager as it left the influence of our own sun. Essentially just outside the front door

View attachment 32317

We are insignificant compared to even our own tiny volume of space

The size of the universe has no bearing on the fact that we are it.

If I could ask a cell of your body whether or not it is you, what would it say ?

ChristineM

Premium Member
How can you be so sure of that, considering how limited our interaction is with the entirety of the universe?

To throw the idea away that we are concious beings stemming from a root, universal consciousness seems quick to react.

The empirical sciences are very limiting. In fact, that's the purpose. But to ignore possibilities means we lose out on progress.

We can observe. Show me a sentient rock, show me sentient hydrogen, and i will change my mind

ChristineM

Premium Member
The size of the universe has no bearing on the fact that we are it.

If I could ask a cell of your body whether or not it is you, what would it say ?

Explain the wasted 13.8 billion years.

Aak by examining DNA and yes it would say it was me