• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The masked truth....

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Not really, no. I understand the part about not caring who said it. I understand that you are not saying you necessarily like him, or agree with his intent. But the rest of it, I do not understand.

Do you still think those particular points make sense, when I just quoted from the CDC why they do not, in fact, make sense?

Does the CDC guidance not make sense, in your view?

Why would you not care "what he undermines" when the thing he is undermining is CDC public health guidance during a pandemic? That's an odd thing to "not care" about. Especially when you were the one saying people ought to listen to the CDC guidance, not the President.

Again, here is what you said:

But here is what the CDC says. Please read this carefully:

So, according to the CDC, even though Trump said he couldn't spread it since he tested negative, and even though that "made sense" to you, that is not actually true. He still should have worn a mask when around other people - especially when he was around people in high risk groups (like 90 year old WWII veterans).

Right?

Let me ask you real quick.

If you don't have an virus, how can you spread it?
If you're not around people, how can you spread it?

Who/why/when, etc are irrelevant here. I'll have to come back with this tomorrow.

Edit. I'm not commenting in light of his intent or who he is but from the link you gave me. I've gone through the CDC (most people I hope did).

Last edited:

Milton Platt

They only two people I know personally (out of the hundreds of thousands who supposedly have gotten the virus) who have been quarantined for the virus wore their masks religiously, washed their hands incessantly, and even had their groceries delivered. Even though they 'felt bad' for a couple of weeks before they were tested, and they were quarantined at home for 2-3 weeks after, no one else in the household ever tested positive for the virus let alone come down with any symptoms....go figure.

The mask is not 100% effective. And your sample is to small to be statistically relevant.

Milton Platt

Isn't that a fallacy? Disregard a point cause it doesn't make under authoritive and up the majority opinion?

I got your ping but don't see a @name. Did you ping me? (And if so, how?)

If I pinged you I didn't know I did..I don't even know how or if it is possible.
No, my point was not about majority opinion. It was about the fact that if the sample is too small in an experiment, the conclusion can be skewed by the outliers. You need a broad sampling under controls to get a meaningful result statistically speaking.

"Both my friends who drove cars were killed, therefore people should not be allowed to drive cars".

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
To be honest, I don't know what actually works for some, but -

Coughs and sneezes spread diseases

And if that fails - it often works on little kids :oops: - how about looking at the nations who tend to have a big majority wearing masks and their (low) death rates, or, people of any age not being immune to this virus (even if odds are low) such that you might even die if you catch it.

Is it worth gambling over a silly issue of wearing a mask or not? :rolleyes:

I wonder why kids were not given masks while teachers tell them to wash their hands and use soap?

Why are masks seen as the Top defenders?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
YOU'RE NOT MORE VALUABLE THAN THOSE AROUND YOU -- WEAR THE DAMN MASK

Reading this on a post triggered two thoughts:

1. Yes, I am more valuable than those around me (and I will not discuss this with anyone!).

and

B. If masks work, and assuming your mask is working, what difference does it make if I wear a mask or not?

Serious, or non-serious, answers, please...
at this late date....I no longer believe in the mask

I still wear it

and nowadays it makes me feel stupid

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If I pinged you I didn't know I did..I don't even know how or if it is possible.
No, my point was not about majority opinion. It was about the fact that if the sample is too small in an experiment, the conclusion can be skewed by the outliers. You need a broad sampling under controls to get a meaningful result statistically speaking.

"Both my friends who drove cars were killed, therefore people should not be allowed to drive cars".

Found out why. I had this thread in "watch threads." It alerts every time someone makes a post if the settings are rigged for it.

If you don't have an virus, how can you spread it?
You can’t really spread it if you don’t have it, as far as I know.

But, a negative test doesn’t mean you do not have the virus. It means you probably - but not with 100% certainty - didn’t have the virus at the time you were tested. That is why the CDC says you should still wear a mask even after you had a negative test. Trump has confused many people about this - including you.

If you're not around people, how can you spread it?
If you’re not around people, you can’t really spread it. If you are around people, you can.

That is why the CDC says you should wear a mask when you are around people. That is why Trump and Pence are malevolent simpletons when they refuse to wear a masks around high-risk people, like 90-year old WWII vets and staff and patients at the Mayo Clinic.

I answered your questions, correct?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
The mask is not 100% effective. And your sample is to small to be statistically relevant.
Where I live I don't have to worry about mask efficiency or statistics etc.
I just wear a mask and I will tell you why:- In England new laws require us to wear masks in various places and there's a fine for those who don't ....... so it's easy...... I just wear the damn mask, and avoid trouble and fines. :)

You might think that's weak but think it means I can spend more money on my wife and self! :D

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I wonder why kids were not given masks while teachers tell them to wash their hands and use soap?

Ah ha! Good point. In England we are totally and completely stuffed. Schools open for the new academic year next week and the teachers don't have any clear guidance about how to proceed ..... at all! This is because our best medical minds advising government just don't know what to do nor can they agree with each other.

Our schools are still asking for clear guidance, one week away from re-opening, and within a very few weeks we will be seeing the consequences........ total chaos.

Children are not so badly affected, but they can be carriers, so they are going to pick up and transmit the sickness in every direction....... and older teachers are in serious danger.

Wow!

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

As @oldbadger has commented, and perhaps they are making a judgment as to harms - few children being affected that badly (but could spread it to adults perhaps) as opposed to how effective such measures might be. If we look around the world there appears to be differences of opinion and policies.

I'll leave you with this though. When the 1957/8 flu epidemic was at its height (when I was at school then), probably more than three quarters of pupils were off school for two weeks or more, so it's quite likely that this virus would spread as bad if measures were not taken - including wearing masks. No one wore any masks then of course.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It has nothing to do with Trump as a person. One point he mentioned was he was tested negative for the virus. So, he said he couldn't spread it since he is negative. That statement makes sense; so, I agree with that statement.
Trump also says he had the largest inauguration crowd ever, that his hands are big, theres no getting over his wall, that covid was under control, denied knowing many people and about many things that he's on record knowing, and so many other things that have been blatant lies how can you trust him that he actually tested negative? And the way he lies about trivial, petty things no one cares about, I see no reason to assume honesty on something that matters very much (he lies about those things as well). He has, however, adequately demonstrated he is not worthy of being trysted because his habit of lying makes him generally untrustable. Which reflects his business record and habit of running with the profit and sticking everyone else with the bills.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

Because we have the scienctific research and real world results to conclusively say masks are kind of like the "social condom" right now. Not 100% effective, but sufficiently effective enough that people consistently wearing them when they can't be distanced from others has been a key element and crucial piece in countries that are moving on. This is not an opinion, but hard, concrete fact. It has been demonstrated too many times to have any reasonable or rational argument against them. You might as well argue against evolution.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Because we have the scienctific research and real world results to conclusively say masks are kind of like the "social condom" right now. Not 100% effective, but sufficiently effective enough that people consistently wearing them when they can't be distanced from others has been a key element and crucial piece in countries that are moving on. This is not an opinion, but hard, concrete fact. It has been demonstrated too many times to have any reasonable or rational argument against them. You might as well argue against evolution.

Social condom? Interesting.

The point is kids can get the virus (and other viruses/and do). So, since (again, not IF) masks are effective, it would make sense to put them on kids (which we do here outside the classroom over age, I think 7) why not in the classroom where germs spread more?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Yes. My only point going by your link is Trump answered the same questions I asked, and because I felt people tested negative can't spread it (the asymptomatic thing-I was never keen to that because we can be asymptomatic to any virus) made sense and the other thing he said was since he wasn't around people (most of the time), he can't spread it.

So, pretend Trump is me. The comments were the same. As for the comments...

But, a negative test doesn’t mean you do not have the virus. It means you probably - but not with 100% certainty - didn’t have the virus at the time you were tested. That is why the CDC says you should still wear a mask even after you had a negative test. Trump has confused many people about this - including you.

I guess it's rare that one would be asymptomatic and still have it but not testing positive at the time. My thing is I don't see this as a huge deal compared to other illness-less intensity or worse-any different. I think because it's a new virus everyone is up in arms. I bet ten or twenty years down the line we'd learn to wash our hands more and be more a keen to our health as usual with or without masks etc.

Yes. Just saying the comments I made where agreements with Trump statements. So, basically, if I were Trump, you just clarified what he said in the link you gave me without focusing on who the guy is and your opinion about him.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
As @oldbadger has commented, and perhaps they are making a judgment as to harms - few children being affected that badly (but could spread it to adults perhaps) as opposed to how effective such measures might be. If we look around the world there appears to be differences of opinion and policies.

I'll leave you with this though. When the 1957/8 flu epidemic was at its height (when I was at school then), probably more than three quarters of pupils were off school for two weeks or more, so it's quite likely that this virus would spread as bad if measures were not taken - including wearing masks. No one wore any masks then of course.

Do you think they should have warn masks with this flue?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Trump also says he had the largest inauguration crowd ever, that his hands are big, theres no getting over his wall, that covid was under control, denied knowing many people and about many things that he's on record knowing, and so many other things that have been blatant lies how can you trust him that he actually tested negative? And the way he lies about trivial, petty things no one cares about, I see no reason to assume honesty on something that matters very much (he lies about those things as well). He has, however, adequately demonstrated he is not worthy of being trysted because his habit of lying makes him generally untrustable. Which reflects his business record and habit of running with the profit and sticking everyone else with the bills.

I can see why you all wouldn't trust any of his statements because majority of his statements you guys say are lies etc. That's fine. Since I don't have that opinion about him (lies or not), it's easier to just say it makes sense and that's about it.

Kind of like how they say when you're in a debate, focus on the facts not the person who says them. I have a feeling that Trump doesn't say "all" lies but since I'm not Trump (and no one else is), and I don't follow his Tweets (which is interesting way to tell anything about him politically), I'm really indifferent to it.

Should I care the same way you guys do?

Just being honest, should I be part of the club here on RF?

-
I don't really care about all that. I was just responding to the link Mr. Springkles gave me a while back.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Do you think they should have warn masks with this flue?

No idea - but probably. Apparently the 1957/58 flu was, as per this one, more likely to affect the elderly, those with pre-existing conditions, and also those pregnant, but less likely to affect children severely.

1957–1958 influenza pandemic - Wikipedia

Edit: I seemed to be quite healthy then, as I recall I was only off school for a week whereas many were off for two or three weeks.

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
You can’t really spread it if you don’t have it, as far as I know.

If you’re not around people, you can’t really spread it. If you are around people, you can.

That is why the CDC says you should wear a mask when you are around people. That is why Trump and Pence are malevolent simpletons when they refuse to wear a masks around high-risk people, like 90-year old WWII vets and staff and patients at the Mayo Clinic.

Good Grief...

Where I live I don't have to worry about mask efficiency or statistics etc.
I just wear a mask and I will tell you why:- In England new laws require us to wear masks in various places and there's a fine for those who don't ....... so it's easy...... I just wear the damn mask, and avoid trouble and fines. :)

You might think that's weak but think it means I can spend more money on my wife and self! :D

"We must comply...we must comply..." so it's not really about health then?