• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The masked truth....

BSM1

What? Me worry?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
YOU'RE NOT MORE VALUABLE THAN THOSE AROUND YOU -- WEAR THE DAMN MASK

Reading this on a post triggered two thoughts:

1. Yes, I am more valuable than those around me (and I will not discuss this with anyone!).

and

B. If masks work, and assuming your mask is working, what difference does it make if I wear a mask or not?

Serious, or non-serious, answers, please...

Koldo

Outstanding Member
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Yes, I am more valuable than those around me (and I will not discuss this with anyone!).

and

B. If masks work, and assuming your mask is working, what difference does it make if I wear a mask or not?

I can't believe you still don't understand by now that masks don't offer absolute protection, and that the more people wearing masks the lesser the risk to everyone...

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member

and

Sure, I can help with both. I will start with non-serious first.

I was disappointed that this post was not about a new superhero. 3/10, would not visit again.

Okay, so a bit more serious. You are correct in that if I am wearing a mask and you are not, it can help protect me. However, the danger is that if everyone adopts this perspective, no one would wear them at all. That is what we are starting to see and that is the dangerous part. Additionally, if we both wear masks, we are making the possibility of infection less likely.

To put it another way, if the experts are correct and we both wear a mask, we have a greater probability of reducing the risk of infection. The consequence of failure could be death (while it is rare, it is possible and because it is possible it needs to be considered.) If the experts are wrong, we are slightly inconvenienced with a cloth mask for the duration of our social experiences. So the question I ask those opposed is this: is potentially saving the life of a stranger worth the inconvenience of wearing a mask?

If everyone bought in (they won't but let's say they do for the sake of argument), I believe we could be on the other side of this thing by Thanksgiving and we could move on. As it stands now, however, we are pro-longing a disease that has already been defeated in many other parts of the world. They did so by wearing a mask and social distancing. We know it is effective, we know it can work. We just need people to buy-in.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I was disappointed that this post was not about a new superhero. 3/10, would not visit again.

That's was my second choice, so thanks for the input.

So far all I heard is just the company line repeated...but thanks, everyone, for playing.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Masks are not guaranteed to be 100% effective. Nobody has really said that, but it reduces the risk. It's just like having speed limits and other safety rules.

They only two people I know personally (out of the hundreds of thousands who supposedly have gotten the virus) who have been quarantined for the virus wore their masks religiously, washed their hands incessantly, and even had their groceries delivered. Even though they 'felt bad' for a couple of weeks before they were tested, and they were quarantined at home for 2-3 weeks after, no one else in the household ever tested positive for the virus let alone come down with any symptoms....go figure.

Quetzal

Premium Member

That's was my second choice, so thanks for the input.

So far all I heard is just the company line repeated...but thanks, everyone, for playing.
I am curious, though, what responses did you expect? The current consensus disagrees with your position. Are you interested in changing your perspective? I would be happy to present some more info from people who know more than I do, but I want to make sure you are willing to participate in good faith.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
non-serious, answers,

.. ahem ..

Yes, I am more valuable than those around me (and I will not discuss this with anyone!).
I can vouch for it; @BSM1 is one of a kind... humanity depends on his seed. His genetics are desperately sought by fiertilaztion clinics all across the US of A.

If masks work, and assuming your mask is working, what difference does it make if I wear a mask or not?

Asking the question means you wouldn't understand the answer.

Here let me help you out. It's called "Common C o u r t e s y" That's right say it with me... "C o u r t e s y". It;s kind like " no shoes no short no service ". Or " A gentleman never puts his boots on the coffee table".

Besides that?

Come on man.... wear the mask,,, it makes ventriloquism a breeze. :D

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Come on man.... wear the mask,,, it makes ventriloquism a breeze

Now here's something I can respect...hmmm

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

and

It makes a difference if someone is sick and don't want to make others sick. If people are close to each for risk of inhaling droplets. It's useful for first responders, doctors, etc. It's useful to help people gain control over uncertainity whether they realize this human instinct or not (relieves panic better than toilet paper). People are concerned with being asymptomatic all of the sudden so the masks helps. Safe than sorry.

It becomes interesting when seeing people (now) wear it cross the street with no one around not even me. Kind of interesting wearing it as if this is the only virus that droplets and sprays last longer in the air as opposed to other coonaviruses. It's interesting to see people debate about mask use when they Do Not Know why people don't wear then and vis versa. It's interesting that not all who wear masks if most are not wearing for others but first themselves; nothing wrong with that. It protects both people rather than one over another.

It's interesting people call non mask wearers idiots, stupid, uncaring, etc. If I see someone anzy about to come near me, I move. Out. The way. It's faster and they are more comfortable my not being around them than try to fumble with my mask and bout time we have it on, I'm a block away.

Maybe it's more just people have different reasons why they do and don't wear a mask. I'm not up for generalizing. If it's politics I understand the sentiment. But people in general? We have better things to do than worry why someone doesn't have a mask when there could be many reasons.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
They only two people I know personally (out of the hundreds of thousands who supposedly have gotten the virus) who have been quarantined for the virus wore their masks religiously, washed their hands incessantly, and even had their groceries delivered. Even though they 'felt bad' for a couple of weeks before they were tested, and they were quarantined at home for 2-3 weeks after, no one else in the household ever tested positive for the virus let alone come down with any symptoms....go figure.

Yes, I've heard stories like this, along with those who get the virus and show no symptoms whatsoever. So, it's hard to say. I remember the story of Jim Fixx, who was an avid health freak and jogger, and he died at age 42 while jogging. I've known people who are really into healthy foods and all kinds of health and fitness fads, and yet they're constantly sick. I eat junk food and smoke like a chimney, and I'm hardly ever sick.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Come on man.... wear the mask,,, it makes ventriloquism a breeze

Now here's something I can respect...hmmm

What about this?

FWmqy5P6dOR7PJXmlxB2Y0NPh1Hh1RGCjGlXMO8UFDKwjcklDREPf-HPZjZXtDTP3P_Bxz7Dxtsix1cdFOvk1yMm4qTzEuUhbDc6_PjU1_vYGzMBLzY

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

What would you say to someone who doesn't think smoking causes cancer because they know someone who got cancer but never smoked?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
To be honest, I don't know what actually works for some, but -

Coughs and sneezes spread diseases

And if that fails - it often works on little kids :oops: - how about looking at the nations who tend to have a big majority wearing masks and their (low) death rates, or, people of any age not being immune to this virus (even if odds are low) such that you might even die if you catch it.

Is it worth gambling over a silly issue of wearing a mask or not? :rolleyes:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I can't believe you still don't understand by now that masks don't offer absolute protection, and that the more people wearing masks the lesser the risk to everyone...
You are indeed less valuable than I am.
(It's nothing personal. You're just not me.)
But even lower value are those who lecture us in all caps.

Quetzal

Premium Member
It is still unclear to me if the question of the OP was asked in good faith or not...