• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The masked truth....

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You can’t really spread it if you don’t have it, as far as I know.

But, a negative test doesn’t mean you do not have the virus. It means you probably - but not with 100% certainty - didn’t have the virus at the time you were tested. That is why the CDC says you should still wear a mask even after you had a negative test. Trump has confused many people about this - including you.

If you’re not around people, you can’t really spread it. If you are around people, you can.

That is why the CDC says you should wear a mask when you are around people. That is why Trump and Pence are malevolent simpletons when they refuse to wear a masks around high-risk people, like 90-year old WWII vets and staff and patients at the Mayo Clinic.

I answered your questions, correct?

Was reading this again.

How can I be confused about someone I never follow?

I would have never commented if it weren't for that link. Most of the info I got was from WHO, CDC, and so forth and just watching our governor's statements and edicts because he tells us the update for our state. Opinions are just that.

I was trying to find that link you gave me?

It was a conversation or something, of course against Trump, about what he said and didn't say. I mentioned I agreed with some of his statements, and the discussion went on from there.

Yes. My only point going by your link is Trump answered the same questions I asked, and because I felt people tested negative can't spread it (the asymptomatic thing-I was never keen to that because we can be asymptomatic to any virus) made sense and the other thing he said was since he wasn't around people (most of the time), he can't spread it.

So, pretend Trump is me. The comments were the same. As for the comments...

I guess it's rare that one would be asymptomatic and still have it but not testing positive at the time. My thing is I don't see this as a huge deal compared to other illness-less intensity or worse-any different. I think because it's a new virus everyone is up in arms. I bet ten or twenty years down the line we'd learn to wash our hands more and be more a keen to our health as usual with or without masks etc.

Yes. Just saying the comments I made where agreements with Trump statements. So, basically, if I were Trump, you just clarified what he said in the link you gave me without focusing on who the guy is and your opinion about him.
Ok. So you agree that according to CDC guidance, if someone gets a negative test result, they should still wear a mask when around others. Correct?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I can see why you all wouldn't trust any of his statements because majority of his statements you guys say are lies etc. That's fine. Since I don't have that opinion about him (lies or not), it's easier to just say it makes sense and that's about it.
Its not an opinion. He lies excessively, to the point of being a compulsive liar. That's not an opinion, but verifiable fact he frequently and often lies.
Should I care the same way you guys do?
If you don't want to be indifferent towards frequent lying from a president and not look like you have your head in the sand, especially after many of his lies have been brought up as an example.
(the asymptomatic thing-I was never keen to that because we can be asymptomatic to any virus)
Science is adamant it happens. It doesn't matter if you're keen on it or not.
"We must comply...we must comply..." so it's not really about health then?
:facepalm: Only if you want to willingly deny it is amd keep making excuses and false doubts about them.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Ok. So you agree that according to CDC guidance, if someone gets a negative test result, they should still wear a mask when around others. Correct?

Yes. Safe than sorry. They don't "need" to.

Maybe adhering to authority needs to be balanced with (in my opinion) common sense.

People wear masks 'cause they feel they may be asymptomatic (I'm not saying they are wrong). But if they have no symptoms, then no virus will spread.

Something else it mentioned. I'll get it later if you like. One CDC doctor commented masks shouldn't replace (as the only) means of protection but in conjunction with.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Its not an opinion. He lies excessively, to the point of being a compulsive liar. That's not an opinion, but verifiable fact he frequently and often lies.

If you don't want to be indifferent towards frequent lying from a president and not look like you have your head in the sand, especially after many of his lies have been brought up as an example.

:facepalm: Only if you want to willingly deny it is amd keep making excuses and false doubts about them.

Wow. I gave never said you were ignorant, wrong, whatever (I'm saying this not putting words in your mouth). But you are.

Why?

It messes up the tone of the convo when it's mixed with accusations and sarcasm.

I'll reply but trying to ignore the insults in your points.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Wow. I gave never said you were ignorant, wrong, whatever (I'm saying this not putting words in your mouth). But you are.

Why?

It messes up the tone of the convo when it's mixed with accusations and sarcasm.

I'll reply but trying to ignore the insults in your points.
Its an established fact Trump regularly and frequently lies. Thats not an opinion. Hes not even crafty with hapf truths and carefully selected numbers like most politicians (Obama excelled in doing those). Trump just outright fabricates things (Birther claims and claims of rampant voter fraud) and outright lies (threats of Iran greatly exaggerated, claimed covid is a democrat hoax, denies knowing about Steve Bannon's wall funding plan and scam although it has been widely acknowledged-even by Trump himself--that he does know about it). It is so well established he lies so often it's about on par with denying germ theory in favir of bad humors.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
"We must comply...we must comply..." so it's not really about health then?

Look, I comply with laws and by-laws. And in the past that has saved my life.
1987. M25. I was car 23 in a 35 car pile up. The cars all looked like concertinas rather than Cortinas.
Nobody was hurt. Everybody had worn seat belts.
So I wear the damn belts and put on the damn masks.
Easy. And I don't get fined. Double bubble. !!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I never said he doesn't lie. I just don't share the "tone/attitude." I never said I didn't share some of your opinions about him. If I'm making a fact or opinion about what someone says it usually doesn't apply to how "I feel" about the person unless my feelings somehow are warranted. In this case, I don't know Trump, so I can only go by what he says-lie or not.

Well. If you're following what I've been talking to Springles about, I don't follow him enough to share you guys nasty feelings about him. That's just not my character about anyone. When I fall into that, I feel sick in the stomach. So, I either try to find ways to be indifferent or make sound opinions based on facts not the person him or herself. It's a work in process and I assumed all people would do this to an extent (and I do mean all).

So. It's just what I feel. Nothing bad about that.

:facepalm: Only if you want to willingly deny it is and keep making excuses and false doubts about them.

I never said I believed his lies. (Never looked into it, cross referenced, studied his tweets, and throw spit balls at him on a t.v. screen)

I said I was indifferent about it.

Hate me all you want, but I don't hate the guy for his statements.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Its an established fact Trump regularly and frequently lies. Thats not an opinion. Hes not even crafty with hapf truths and carefully selected numbers like most politicians (Obama excelled in doing those). Trump just outright fabricates things (Birther claims and claims of rampant voter fraud) and outright lies (threats of Iran greatly exaggerated, claimed covid is a democrat hoax, denies knowing about Steve Bannon's wall funding plan and scam although it has been widely acknowledged-even by Trump himself--that he does know about it). It is so well established he lies so often it's about on par with denying germ theory in favir of bad humors.

I don't follow his tweets, study him on television, obsess about his statements, and fall in love with his sarcasm and anger outbursts (so looked up recently due to some of these RF conversations).

If I did worshiped him insomuch to find him a bad guy, for lack of more strong words, I'd probably be favored here on RF just as the rest of the trump-haters. Since I'm not, I'm supposed to be "for" Trump?

That doesn't make sense.

Yes. Not sure how this related to the statements he made that made sense. I didn't say I agree to all his statements. That's anyone; Trump isn't special.
It's related because you said this:

One point he mentioned was he was tested negative for the virus. So, he said he couldn't spread it since he is negative.
But, it is not true that he couldn't spread it because he tested negative. Correct?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

But, it is not true that he couldn't spread it because he tested negative. Correct?

If someone is negative of a virus they cannot spread it.

Trump, John, me, you, doesn't matter.

I'm trying to figure where you going. Other than this statement which I think you got, what else are you asking me?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I forget easily.
Not really, no. I understand the part about not caring who said it. I understand that you are not saying you necessarily like him, or agree with his intent. But the rest of it, I do not understand.

You can’t really spread it if you don’t have it, as far as I know.

But, a negative test doesn’t mean you do not have the virus. It means you probably - but not with 100% certainty - didn’t have the virus at the time you were tested. That is why the CDC says you should still wear a mask even after you had a negative test. Trump has confused many people about this - including you.

Outside the confusion "including you" statement since I'm not obsessed over his statements to be confused (he's not my first line of information when I look for things about the virus)... it's fine that you probably don't know you have the virus when you were tested. I think that's the same with HIV if I'm not mistaken.

But I agree with your first statement, though: You can’t really spread it if you don’t have it, as far as I know.

That's all I'm saying.

Trump is irrelevant in this.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Do you have the link you gave me (or someone gave me) about Trump's conversation with, I think, the news reporter or something. That's what I went off of. Nothing else.

If someone is negative of a virus they cannot spread it.

Trump, John, me, you, doesn't matter.

I'm trying to figure where you going. Other than this statement which I think you got, what else are you asking me?
Well, let's be precise: yes, if you do not have the virus you cannot spread it. But there is a difference between not having the virus, and testing negative.

As you already agreed, a negative test does not mean you do not have the virus. It does not mean you cannot spread the virus. Correct? That's what the CDC says right?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Well, let's be precise: yes, if you do not have the virus you cannot spread it. But there is a difference between not having the virus, and testing negative.

As you already agreed, a negative test does not mean you do not have the virus. It does not mean you cannot spread the virus. Correct? That's what the CDC says right?

I mixed the two. I meant if you don't have it, you can't spread it. That link, that's what trump said. He tested negative so, of course, you could "still have it" technically, but why consider it. He probably mixed it too. The context of what he said was I tested negative, I don't have it, thus I can't spread it. (Doesn't matter who)

We don't say, she tested for HIV, she's negative, but she still could have it. Of course safe sex is the key, but we generally say she doesn't have HIV after tested not hang on that she might.

The latter sounds more pestimistic. We can panic cause we think can be asymptomatic (or symptoms don't show up till later), but I see no use in that over concern or panic. Justified but not something that makes sense to me.

It's like my waking up tomorrow and saying, "oh my gosh. I may have the virus. Let me check." What reason one would think they caught such a thing overnight? I never read in CDC you can catch the virus overnight without any risk factors.

We're not all running to get tested for a lot of diseases and viruses. Maybe we are taking our health for granted? Should we?

Nothing wrong with wearing masks just in case "and" I don't see it necessary for That particular reason.

That link, that's what trump said. He tested negative so, of course, you could "still have it" technically, but why consider it.
Unveiled, I must say, you are very confused.

COVID tests are primarily useful in identifying and treating people who have it. Not to identify people who don't have it. Why? Because the test results take at least 24 hours if not days to come back, but the result is only indicative of your status at the time you were tested. Also, it is a highly transmissible respiratory disease that can spread by simply being in proximity to people who are talking. Also, it is currently widespread in the US. Also, it is a new virus where we have no existing immunity - and therefore, now is a critical time to slow the spread. Also, we have already had months of "community spread" which means people are catching it without knowing how / from whom they got it. Also, many people are asymptomatic carriers of the virus who can transmit it - so you can catch it from someone who isn't sick, and you can also spread it even if you aren't sick.

What does all this add up to? It adds up to what the CDC says: a negative test does not mean you do not have the virus. If you test negative, you could still have it, and you should still wear a mask around others.

That's what the CDC says. You already acknowledged this. Right?

We don't say, she tested for HIV, she's negative, but she still could have it. Of course safe sex is the key, but we generally say she doesn't have HIV after tested not hang on that she might.
Actually, we do say that. The CDC says that. If you test negative for HIV, you could still have it. We can only say a person does not have HIV if they test negative twice: once before, and once after the "window period". And, during the "window period" the person must not have had any possible exposure to HIV: namely close sexual contact, or IV drug needle use.

Here is a link so you can verify what the CDC says about a negative HIV test: Understanding a Negative Result | Testing | HIV Basics | HIV/AIDS | CDC

COVID is a much more transmissible disease than HIV. It is not a sexually transmitted / blood borne disease. It is a contagious respiratory disease that can spread by people talking near each other - in fact, it may be airborne. So, because COVID is different from HIV, the implications of a negative test result are different.

Again: a negative COVID test does not mean you don't have it. A negative HIV test does not mean you don't have it.

You are confused on this issue. I suggest you listen to the CDC more, and Trump less.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't think you heard me. I said I don't listen to trump. I was going off the link you gave me and that was it. Outside of that, I keep up with the CDC, WHO, and my Governor to see what's going on in our state.

What does all this add up to? It adds up to what the CDC says: a negative test does not mean you do not have the virus. If you test negative, you could still have it, and you should still wear a mask around others.

That's what the CDC says. You already acknowledged this. Right?

I've already acknowledged it posts ago. Think it was the post before last or the last one if I'm not mistaken.

You keep putting me inline with Trump for some odd reason.