• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Man Who Slapped a Female Reporter’s Butt on TV is a Christian Youth Leader"

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Women are not viewed as equal to men in conservative religions. Ugh.

In ancient nomadic tribal societies, women were treated like a man's property; in our modern age, women have the tools and power to do pretty much anything a man can do, so women are nowadays pretty much treated as being equal to men.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
In ancient nomadic tribal societies, women were treated like a man's property; in our modern age, women have the tools and power to do pretty much anything a man can do, so women are nowadays pretty much treated as being equal to men.

Overall, but not in every way - there are nuances in specific categories, some leaning in favor of men by far, some leaning in favor of women by far.

Rational Agnostic

A lot of people should be targeting the straight, white, Christian male for being an *** when they intentionally or not put their hand without empathy or permission one someone's ***.

Why do you emphasize race and religion? I suspect that black, atheist men harass women just as much as white, Christian men.

sealchan

Why do you emphasize race and religion? I suspect that black, atheist men harass women just as much as white, Christian men.

Because it takes one to know one. As a white, male, Christian I feel qualified to judge.

I feel less confident judging a black person but if they are male and Christian, I'm there.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Because it takes one to know one. As a white, male, Christian I feel qualified to judge.

I feel less confident judging a black person but if they are male and Christian, I'm there.
How about judging individual people, based on actual facts? Not their characteristics and a tiny video on the internet?

I remember when a teenager was convicted on the internet of assaulting a Native American elder, who was also a veteran. It was based on a tiny video and facial expressions.

I see this as the same thing.
And I remember when a guy got fired for using the word "niggardly" around some badly educated black people. Somehow, the ignorance of black people became a job killing problem for him.

That's what I'm seeing here.

SJWs creating a problem where there wasn't one, because otherwise their worldview would be seen for the obsolete crap it is. They've got to create oppressors if they're going to keep selling "victimhood and entitlement".
Tom

Rational Agnostic

Not true at all. Not all white Christian men are the same, neither are all non-white, non Christian men. Your logic is fallacious. The point is that abuse and harassment are not unique to Christian, white men. Other races and religions also sexually harass women.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

In society, yes, but in conservative religion, not so much. We are still seen as below males and deity.

sealchan

Not true at all. Not all white Christian men are the same, neither are all non-white, non Christian men. Your logic is fallacious. The point is that abuse and harassment are not unique to Christian, white men. Other races and religions also sexually harass women.

Sure, but I feel best qualified to point out bias, abuse and harassment with those who are most like me. Being white, male and Christian simultaneously means that historically and culturally if I make a public statement about behaviour it will be much less likely to exhibit ignorance in terms of cultural differences.

Shad

Veteran Member
Because it's a woman complaining.

If Callahan had smacked another dude, under the same circumstances, would there be an internet lynch mob howling? Or a lawsuit pending?

Probably not. Beside the lynch mob is that of twitter. Twitter enable the outrage mob to say whatever they want to virtue signal and get praise for it. The same people will shout down issues men face in the same breath. This is because the core is about ideology not actual concern

No. Nobody would have even noticed.

That is because men have been taught to deal with physical contact from a young age thus do not care about momentary contact nor does it shatter their world. I say this as a man that has had women slap my ***

To me, this is another episode of the #MeToo feminazis talking out of both sides of their mouths.

The rhetoric seems like it as per patriarchy babble.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
How about judging individual people, based on actual facts? Not their characteristics and a tiny video on the internet?

I remember when a teenager was convicted on the internet of assaulting a Native American elder, who was also a veteran. It was based on a tiny video and facial expressions.

I see this as the same thing.
And I remember when a guy got fired for using the word "niggardly" around some badly educated black people. Somehow, the ignorance of black people became a job killing problem for him.

That's what I'm seeing here.

SJWs creating a problem where there wasn't one, because otherwise their worldview would be seen for the obsolete crap it is. They've got to create oppressors if they're going to keep selling "victimhood and entitlement".
Tom
Physically assaulting women, on tape, in public, is a mere SJW entitlement issue to you?

Shad

Veteran Member
I am pretty sure if she's OK with it and does not press charges then, its NOT a criminal offense.

She is pursuing charges from what I have read which she has a right to do. She is also using it to get herself noticed beyond her career scope

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Yes...when I was at high school...my female classmates, knowing I was not into females they used to harass me, to tickle me, and to slap my bottom just to annoy me.
And it was really bothersome. I had to inform the headmistress.

When I was a teenager at school, passing on the stairs, I playfully slapped (or so I thought) the bottom of a girl I was attracted to (I didn't know her name even) - being someone not that au fait with approach behaviour. Calamity. Her older boyfriend (older than me and she was younger than me) had a word with me shortly after this. He was asking about some fair-headed youth who might have done such - being given approximate directions from the girl apparently. I pointed to another boy who could fit the description (as I did of course) and he then went and confronted the boy - who was also in my class - whereupon this boy protested his innocence and fortunately didn't get thumped. Ooh, I did feel guilty. :D Can't think why he didn't actually accuse me. Must have looked too angelic. :D

The boy did beat me to tops in a recent maths exam though so I didn't feel that guilty. :D

Of course I don't condone such behaviour - even in schoolkids. :oops:

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"The youth pastor and Boy Scout leader who smacked a young reporter's backside on live TV has been arrested and charged with sexual battery, a misdemeanor in Georgia punishable by up to a year in jail."

For those who think smacks on a complete stranger's butt is considered "good fun". According to Georgia Law, which is hardly a state of "liberals", "Georgia law defines sexual battery as making "physical contact with the intimate parts of the body of another person without the consent of that person." So there it is then. Butt slapping is considered sexual battery according to Georgia law.

Source: Youth pastor who slapped reporter's butt on live TV arrested, charged with sexual battery

Rational Agnostic

Sure, but I feel best qualified to point out bias, abuse and harassment with those who are most like me. Being white, male and Christian simultaneously means that historically and culturally if I make a public statement about behaviour it will be much less likely to exhibit ignorance in terms of cultural differences.

I don't follow what you're saying. Are you saying that you're more likely to call out the inappropriate behavior of white Christians than you are to call out the inappropriate behavior of black Muslims or atheists for fear of being "culturally ignorant?" If so, then it seems to me that you are prejudiced against your own culture.

JesusKnowsYou

Considering the abundance of sexually abusive religious leaders is anyone surprised? Of course not.

"Over the weekend, during the Savannah Bridge Run 10K in Georgia, a local TV anchor was discussing the race when the live camera caught one of the joggers slapping her [butt] as he ran by. The footage went viral both because of the shocked reaction on her face and the disturbing fact that the culprit, whoever it was, seemed to touch her so casually. Like it was a normal thing to do.

It didn’t take long for the internet to figure out who the man was. Through the images available and his racing number, the man’s identity was quickly discovered. And wouldn’t you know it, he’s a Christian youth leader.

Tommy Callaway of Pittman Park United Methodist Church has since been banned from all future Savannah Sports Council races. He fessed up to the actions, though his lawyer’s statement needs a lot of work.

While we regret the situation, Mr. Callaway did not act with any criminal intentions. Tommy is a loving husband and father who is very active in his community. We have been in touch with WSAV and representatives for Ms. Alex Bozarjian, as well as members of Savannah law enforcement. We do not expect any criminal charges to arise from this incident, and we are working with those involved to correct the situation.
Sure. Loving husband. Devoted father. Christian leader. And the sort of ******* who slaps random women on the butt because it’s just hilarious."
source

It's almost as if such deviants are part and parcel of religion. The Christian religion anyway.

Sounds like you are really forcing those dots to connect here.

Skwim

Veteran Member
You are trying to imply causation between Christianity and sexual scandals and promiscuity.

Isn't there?

If you're a rational human being you have to admit that there's been an awful lot of exposure of sexual abuse going on with church leaders, both in official and non-official capacities, coupled with a plethora of ongoing cover ups. Or maybe you can't admit as much at all. In any case, this is just one more example among thousands of such instances. So why should anyone be surprised at it?

FYI, in October of this year NBC News noted
"Nearly 1,700 priests and other clergy members that the Roman Catholic Church considers credibly accused of child sexual abuse are living under the radar with little to no oversight from religious authorities or law enforcement, decades after the first wave of the church abuse scandal roiled U.S. dioceses, an Associated Press investigation has found."
source
If there is no causal relationship between Christianity (an organization that goes out of its way to promote moral rectitude and prides itself in its moral demeanor) and all its sexual scandals then why is it so rampant within the religion?

Last edited:

JesusKnowsYou

Isn't there?

If you're a rational human being you have to admit that there's been an awful lot of exposure of sexual abuse going on with church leaders, both in official and non-official capacities, coupled with a plethora of ongoing cover ups. Or maybe you can't admit as much at all. In any case, this is just one more example among thousands of such instances. So why should anyone be surprised with it?

FYI, in October of this year NBC News noted
"Nearly 1,700 priests and other clergy members that the Roman Catholic Church considers credibly accused of child sexual abuse are living under the radar with little to no oversight from religious authorities or law enforcement, decades after the first wave of the church abuse scandal roiled U.S. dioceses, an Associated Press investigation has found."
source
If there is no causal relationship between Christianity (an organization that goes out of its way to promote moral rectitude and prides itself in its moral demeanor) and all its sexual scandals then why is it so rampant within the religion?

Well, since you brought up numbers let's talk numbers.

There were a total of 414,582 priests recorded in the Catholic Church as of 2017. I couldn't find a total number of "clergy", but let's stick with just priests for this argument.

That would mean: 1,700/414,582 = .41% of the clergy are suspected of being sexual predators.

Not statistically significant, in my opinion.

On the other hand, according to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, as of 2016 there were 859,500 registered sex offenders in United States.

The most recent US census data claims that there were 151.8 million men in the US.

That would mean: 859,500/151,800,000 = .57% of men in the US have been convicted of sexual offenses.

Also not statistically significant, in my opinion.

So, according to numbers, Catholic priests worldwide are less likely to be sexual predators than any man in the U.S.

I don't see any evidence of causation.