• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The gulf between us

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

This?

atheist-chart-tn.gif

No, that is not what I asked about. I am fairly aware of the concept of Gnostic Atheism.

But in post #157 of this thread you replied to post #147 from @Corvus by stating the opposite of what he had just said. He actually told you, in effect, that he is an agnostic atheist. Yet you read that as "I am a gnostic atheist".

Why?

Corvus

Feathered eyeball connoisseur
No one can know with absolute certainty if God exists or not. I assign an extremely low probability that a cosmic creator exists. Logically founded on the apparent fact that there is no scientific evidence of any kind to support the God hypothesis. What evidence there is, is unverifiable. Therefore a probability of near zero would be a reasonable estimation. I apply that same formula of reasoning to invisible Elephants, honest politicians and planets made out of Coffee flavoured Ice cream. Whatever label suits this viewpoint best I don't know. I grokk therefore I am.

Corvus

except in science it is separation of humans from Nature and the world -- which, in our use of science in the service of capitalism to objectify, exploit, dismantle, poison, pollute, and destroy nature, is having more widespread, deeper, more profound and more devastating effect on the planet and the future of all life on it than any religion ever had
True. A serious problem. That needs to be addressed urgently. I am not going to argue with you there. I concur unreservedly.

PureX

Veteran Member
Theism is problematic, in a nutshell, because it is rooted in a very vague concept and insists on pretending otherwise.
"Vagueness" is not necessarily a problem. Sometimes it's an advantage, as when it allows multiple and varied interpretations to suit a given ideal. And what you are calling pretense is often simply artifice. It's the conceptual imagery people use to represent those "vague" theological ideals in their minds.This is only problematic for those who want hard, universally observed answers, and can't get them from theism.

Indeed. It is about as customizable a belief as they come.
That is exactly why it works for so many people in so many different situations. It's why so many people are and have always been theists.

The odd thing is that those who most value it are also those who make a point of pretending it to be a well-delimited, homogeneous belief - when it is anything but!
It is what they need it to be. I am puzzled that you don't understand this, and don't recognize the value in it for them.

Too bad that so many people get carried away with it and attempt to justify their actions with their theistic beliefs.
Everyone justifies their actions with their beliefs, theist and atheists and everyone else. How could we do otherwise? Do you really expect people to act on what they DON'T believe?

There are legitimate arguments to be made against theism, but these aren't them.

PureX

Veteran Member
No one can know with absolute certainty if God exists or not. I assign an extremely low probability that a cosmic creator exists. Logically founded on the apparent fact that there is no scientific evidence of any kind to support the God hypothesis. What evidence there is, is unverifiable. Therefore a probability of near zero would be a reasonable estimation.
All you're saying here is that you blindly assume that scientists would have found evidence of the existence of God if that evidence existed. But that assumption is patently invalid, as there are no scientists looking for evidence of the existence of God. Science doesn't even provide that capability.

Corvus

. I also wouldn't say that someone who disagrees with me has built a "tower of cards" or something. They just see things differently than I do.
I do not understand. If you are mistaken, you are mistaken. A tower of cards is the best description for irrational belief systems. Faulty premises, stacked on top of each other. It's not about me seeing things differently, I can demonstrate, FULLY, that science and reason is without equal in terms of success at explaining the true nature of reality.

Last edited:

Corvus

All you're saying here is that you blindly assume that scientists would have found evidence of the existence of God if that evidence existed. But that assumption is patently invalid, as there are no scientists looking for evidence of the existence of God. Science doesn't even provide that capability.

If God existed and is responsible for example for creating all living things on Earth, then you might expect some signature of design in DNA, nothing like that is apparent.
The fact is if anything is real in any physical sense whatsoever, then it can be experimentally or directly observed or even inferred. If it is beyond real and physical and in the realm of pure speculation then yes you are right science has no capability to analyze it.

EDIT If no atheist/agnostic scientists search for evidence of God, why don't the Christian and Muslim scientists do so to shut us annoying atheists up?

Last edited:

Corvus

Consider things such as Love, Energy, light. If you belive these transcend the Human Condition, then you also beleive in what we call God.
Love is attachment, a manifestation of neurological and hormonal interaction. Evolved in humans to permit socialization and extended parental care. Energy = MC2 and light is electromagnetic radiation in the visible spectrum. :p

Corvus

That is not logical. How can you be so confident?
There is no verifiable evidence of a God creator. So it is entirely logical to assign a low probability if not zero probability of a God creator. Given the existence of alternative explanations for the universe and living things which do have some evidences that are least more descriptive and logically consistent.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
If God existed and is responsible for example for creating all living things on Earth, then you might expect some signature of design in DNA, nothing like that is apparent.
I can think of no logical reason why you would expect this. Why do you assume that nature is not the expression of divine will, as it is?
The fact is if anything is real in any physical sense whatsoever, then it can be experimentally or directly observed or even inferred. If it is beyond real and physical and in the realm of pure speculation then yes you are right science has no capability to analyze it.
But physicality is not truth. Nor is it all there is to our experience of being. Consciousness is itself an expression of 'metaphysics', thus proving that physicality is not the equivalency of truth, of reality, or of existence. And yet you seem to be incapable of acknowledging this. Why?
EDIT If no atheist/agnostic scientists search for evidence of God, why don't the Christian and Muslim scientists do so to shut us annoying atheists up?
Science does not offer us that capability. Why do you refuse to recognize this?

Corvus

But physicality is not truth. Nor is it all there is to our experience of being. Consciousness is itself an expression of 'metaphysics', thus proving that physicality is not the equivalency of truth, of reality, or of existence. And yet you seem to be incapable of acknowledging this. Why?
Does not compute error. The definition of the word existence would mean that all that exists is all that is physical. Detectable/detected or not.

Corvus

I can think of no logical reason why you would expect this. Why do you assume that nature is not the expression of divine will, as it is?
That makes no sense to me. How is divine will required? That is superfluous. How is divine will transmitted to systems that are self emergent?

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
This?

atheist-chart-tn.gif

No, that is not what I asked about. I am fairly aware of the concept of Gnostic Atheism.

But in post #157 of this thread you replied to post #147 from @Corvus by stating the opposite of what he had just said. He actually told you, in effect, that he is an agnostic atheist. Yet you read that as "I am a gnostic atheist".

Why?
If it's near zero in possibility then it sounds like he's pretty confident.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I do not understand. If you are mistaken, you are mistaken. A tower of cards is the best description for irrational belief systems. Faulty premises, stacked on top of each other. It's not about me seeing things differently, I can demonstrate, FULLY, that science and reason is without equal in terms of success at explaining the true nature of reality.

So you're an adherent of Scientism, then? I see.

At any rate, you do realize that "explaining the true nature of reality" is not the point of theism, right? All "theism" means is the person accepts some particular concept of deity in their lives. That's it. By itself, it is unrelated to ontological questions.

Religions sometimes deal with ontological questions, but ontology isn't even the point of many religions, theistic or otherwise.

PureX

Veteran Member
Does not compute error. The definition of the word existence would mean that all that exists is all that is physical. Detectable/detected or not.
This is the bias that you have trapped yourself in. Consider time. Time is not physical, so are you claiming that it doesn't "exist". Or consider this question: does the nothingness that the universe is presumably expanding onto "exist"? Also, what "exists" before a person dies that does not "exist" after?

PureX

Veteran Member
That makes no sense to me. How is divine will required? That is superfluous. How is divine will transmitted to systems that are self emergent?
One could easily argue, and logically assert that what we call "energy" IS divine will. And that the ways in which energy can and cannot behave are the direct intent of that will.

Together these two phenomena create and sustain the nature of all that exists, as we know it.