• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Inspired by a couple of threads that mention anthropomorphism, I'm curious how members here view their God. It would appear in this painting by Michelangelo, likely the most popular and recognizable depiction of God, that many anthropomorphize God.

300px-Creaci%C3%B3n_de_Ad%C3%A1n_%28Miguel_%C3%81ngel%29.jpg

What form does God take in your belief structure?

If you anthropomorphize your God(s), what is the purpose of doing so?

PureX

Veteran Member
Inspired by a couple of threads that mention anthropomorphism, I'm curious how members here view their God. It would appear in this painting by Michelangelo, likely the most popular and recognizable depiction of God, that many anthropomorphize God.

I honestly try not to generate any particularized images or conceptions of "God". I find that the less I try to define the mystery, the better and more effective it is for me. I like to keep it to being a great and divine mystery that underpins and infuses everything that exists, including all of us.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
I see God as having both form and being formless. God takes a human-like form and partakes in many pastimes for the purpose of helping his devotees fixate on him more easily than they could if he were only formless. :)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I see God as having both form and being formless.

He can't make up his mind, eh? I've been like that. Then I took Ben Franklin's advice to list out the pros and cons involved and get on with making a decision. Maybe your god could use a little advice. Tell Him about Franklin for me, would you? I'd like to get in good with Him.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

If I were to call it "god" I'd say, in non-poetic terms, god is energy. Point blank. Energy helps things grow. It heats our planet and water.

I like these:

Energy is essential to life and all living organisms. The sun, directly or indirectly, is the source of all the energy available on Earth. Our energy choices and decisions impact Earth's natural systems in ways we may not be aware of, so it is essential that we choose our energy sources carefully.

Examples of these are: light energy, heat energy, mechanical energy, gravitational energy, electrical energy, sound energy, chemical energy, nuclear or atomic energy and so on. These forms of energy can be transferred and transformed between one another. ... Kinetic energy is the energy in moving objects or mass.

Cells cannot survive on their own. They need power to stay alive. They need energy to perform functions such as growth, maintaining balance, repair, reproduction, movement and defense. This means all living organisms must obtain and use energy to live.

Plants use the light from the sun to grow. Animals and people eat the plants and use the energy that was stored. Food is fuel for our bodies' energy needs like muscle power. We also use our own bodies to make heat energy.

Add culture and tradition and exchange some of the wording, you basically got your view of god and how we relate to it.

Many anthropomorphize energy as to interact with it on a personal level. In many cases, that personal level takes in form of prayer (verbal meditation) and other times ritual (moving within the energy in and/or outside of us) Many eastern faiths work with energy. Some neopagans religions from energy. Catholicism worships energy as a separate force working within personalized as coming from and/as jesus and worshiped as god. Every denomination has their take on the role of the "spirit" which they call "'breathe' of life."

Others call it force, some call it essence, some don't describe it, others are very detailed in their explanations. Some separate energy to relate to its cultural aspects it influences in nature. While others, well, just don't care; they acknowledge it but not in a religious point of view.

But the form of god?

I have no cultural nor traditional upbringing and never thought of it until I came on RF. Personally, the form of god/energy I'm aware of is creative expression.

"Art is the highest form of human communication"

As for the logistics behind this expression, I have no clue.

It is what it is.
If you ask me proof of god, here it is. Culture/tradition/sacredness/divinity excluded.

Last edited:

David T

Premium Member

anthropomorphic expression is the difference between reading grays anatomy about sexual reproduction and having sex.
We can render nature as a dead, inert, random accidentalism, of parts, pieces emotionally detached, or we can render it anthropomorphically sensitively connected.

It's interesting you posted michealangelo, because he is an artist of unusual depth. A we slide up into modernity and say evangelicalism, we have this huge gap between the artist Michelangelo and evangelicals. I mean gigantic. In modern culture evangelicalism we have creationism, or intelligent design and all kinds of delusional confusion. Clearly a Case of the artist transcending the audience but the audience believing they understand the, artist. No evidence exists of that being the case at all today at all in modern reformation and evangelicalism. Another favourite of mine by Michelangelo
1200px-Michelangelo's_Pietà,_St_Peter's_Basilica_(1498–99).jpg

And finally This is what passed here and in culture as religion and the debates and even atheism atheists!!!! Lol
il_fullxfull.1207924663_pj7c.jpg

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I believe that God has a form. Yes many claim that scripture states God has no form, I believe that this is a misinterpretation of not necessarily a constant form, and a lack of understanding for Elohim inference, as opposed to a god that could not have any plurality.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

I can imagine one reason people might anthropomorphize their gods is to make them more emotionally accessible. For instance, to think of your god as "concerned with and watching over" you, or as "having a plan" for your life (God plans things?) are much more emotionally accessible concepts of deity than "God is an omniscient being that intervenes in my life to promote my general well-being".

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I believe that God has a form. Yes many claim that scripture states God has no form, I believe that this is a misinterpretation of not necessarily a constant form, and a lack of understanding for Elohim inference, as opposed to a god that could not have any plurality.

What is god's form?

I always hear jesus. Is there another form I'm not aware of?

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal

That appears to be a doctored image. Luckily, I have the original right here.
images

shmogie

The Bible describes God, a being with three points of consciousness, as being perceived as unbearable bright light.

Christ, one point of the consciousness of that being manifested in human form said " if you have seen me, you have seen the Father".

Wonder no more, you have your answers.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس

We believe that the only god we will ever come to know and that which exists is our Greater Self, our Authentic Self, the Platonic First Form or Ideal Self. Therefore, visually, we see our god as our perfected Self.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

It seems to me a quite obvious reason for anthropomorphizing god is to get any clear concept of god at all. Consider the anthropomorphism that god "thinks" this or "thinks" that. How can it accurately be said that god "thinks"?

For humans, thought always occurs within the context of time. If I think, "That Salix fellow is such a dashing good looking chap. Pity he's such a bonehead", "Salix" comes before "bonehead" in the time it takes me to have that complete thought. But isn't god supposed to in some way be "outside of time"? And if so, how can god have genuine thoughts?

It is far and away much easier for me to conceive of a being that "thinks" than of a being that somehow has sentience but not of the thinking sort. Infinite, timeless sentience just ain't a concept even a towering intellect™ such as myself can wrap his head around.

Punta Piñal

Heretic
For instance, I am, based on empiricism, 90% confident in evolutionary theory. But there are some things that elude me. For instance, some species of ants may circuitously follow a scent, leading to the demise of the colony; but human beings have constructed immense monuments, taken pilgrimages, and even died in the name of religion. The latter offers tangential evolutionary advantage, perhaps group solidarity, but it is based on something imaginary (religious yearning), not concrete. Humans have clearly evolved from ancestors, but are cognitively on another level, even though other species possess complexity and many of our characteristics. We may even die as a result of our cognitive delusions. Our identity as "apes with nukes" just does not make sense to me, even though I support science. We are in this strange position: having evolved abstract reasoning, we are in a position to destroy ourselves and other life, unlike any other species now or in the past. Yet other species did not evolve in our footsteps, at least cognitively, which I find an improbable occurrence, just as our evolution is improbable. Thus I wonder if evolutionary theory, while not wrong, is missing something that has yet to be discovered.

This makes me search for a synthesis that combines scientific empiricism and complete acceptance of scientific evidence and practice with aspects or elements of religion (and/or other subjects), preferably esoteric, eclectic, and not rigidly bound to any particular faith or dogma. Perhaps the Bible and other texts, when considered mostly or entirely nonliteral, contain hidden pathways to significant truths about ourselves and origins, just as evidence-based science, in its own way, progressively reveals truths about physical workings of the universe and ourselves. Art, like any physical activity (even thoughtful sexual intercourse), is a great medium to sample one's evolving life, as is observation of nature. Even though I strongly suspect that Christianity is of mythical origin and that Jesus may have not even existed (read Richard Carrier's On the Historicity of Jesus), I find great expressive power in the symbols, paradoxes, and other literary and artistic devices of the faith, and appreciate the same in other religions and/or cultures. Michelangelo, in particular, exemplifies the moulding of disparate cultural elements in his "religious" artwork. To be honest, I do not know why his artwork has such a hold on me, and why I find religion to be most interesting when viewed through art, but I do.

Perhaps the (Platonic?) notion of us being imperfect reflections of some transcendent reality tugs at the imagination. I do not know how this can be reconciled with evolution and science, but I find the idea to have some inexplicable appeal, especially in regard to our peculiar position as a species. I also found his highlighting human body and its interdependency with the internal condition to be extremely insightful.

74x12

God is not visible dwelling in unapproachable Light. However I think since God was so tired of people making idols of what they think he looked like. He sent His true image into the world which was Jesus Christ who shows us the invisible God.

Tumah

Veteran Member
No form for G-d whatsoever.

We don't anthropomorphize G-d, but we do anthropomorphize His administration of the world. The purpose, I guess, is to give us some method through which we can relate to G-d in some way.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Most of the month I think god is an onion. You peel back one layer only to find another one. When you have peeled back all the layers, you are not left with a core, for there is no core to an onion. You are left with nothing. But that "nothing" might be an impenetrable mystery. Or not.