• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The bible for Jews only?

Kelly of the Phoenix

The Bible was not written just for Jews.
Well, the Jewish scriptures certainly are, while the New Testament was until gentiles started to get invited. Jesus was pretty clear, though, at least at first, that he's a-comin' just for his homies. We were irrelevant. I think the Good Samaritan parable was invented after he experienced the faiths of the centurion and the gentile woman. He learned a lesson: gentiles aren't as bad as he thought. However, he died before he could truly flesh out that part of his ministry and it was (mostly)Paul and (kinda)Peter who developed it.

God made a promise to Abraham that ALL nations would be blessed because of a seed who would come in this particular family line.
^_- Are you able to trace yourself to this family line? You DO realize there were other people on the planet, yes? The majority of the people on the planet have NOTHING to do with Abe's line.

Don't get me wrong: I think the Way is for everyone too (though I don't think it matters who is the cheerleader for it at the time). But the bible most certainly wasn't written for us, but for the contemporary audiences. I think it was a mistake for the church to finalize a canon, as it "kills" the Word of God. It would be ridiculously huge, of course, but at least by letting the bible live on, you could help modern audiences see that God is speaking to them too.

SpeaksForTheTrees

The New Testament was written for the Jews and Gentiles, for everyone, and was given to the Church.
The Old Testament was more for the Jews but the whole Bible is excellent for all Christians.

How can New be for Jewish when they reject Jesus as messiah
period
Both are in same book old and new as part of covernant , fact same old and new in bible exist in same book is purely symbolic .
Old testament only any use to Christians to get vague idea of how hostile the world might of been before someone spoke out an said wtf.
Not that the world did not turn more hostile , transitition must of been very brutal times of history .

Last edited:

SpeaksForTheTrees

because different groups have different jobs. The hippocratic oath is great for doctors but not for me. Military courts have different rules from civilian ones. Isn't each set of rules "right" or "good"? Yes -- for an intended group and not another.

Maybe this was a fundermental problem of Eden , man became overly subjective of those rules that did not concern him .
I do not see bible as a divide just more a covernant of mutual understanding .
Old Testement is not wise for Christian

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
If the bible is so good why did God give it only to the Jews?

If you're trying to figure out why G-d seems to be out of sync with your ideas, why G-d doesn't seem to think like you do - although I'm not sure anyone thinks as you do - just remember these words from Isaiah, כי לא מחשבותי מחשבותיכם ולא דרכיכם דרכי נאם ה

Last edited:

SpeaksForTheTrees

This thread contra to rule 9 is pushing personal agenda

9. Subverting/Undermining the Forum Mission
The mission of Religious Forums is to provide a civil, informative, respectful, and welcoming environment where people of diverse beliefs can discuss, compare, and debate. Content members create while debating and discussing must be done in the spirit of productivity. Bashing other forums, creating unproductive content or responses to others, attempting to use this site as a platform for campaigning for or against or furthering a personal agenda, and attempting to undermine the forum mission may result in moderation.

Double standards is why covenant was lost

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
If the bible is so good why did God give it only to the Jews?

Maybe because He knew they wouldn't lose it. ;)

If He'd given it to the Egyptians, or the Assyrians, or basically anybody else west of the Punjab Plain we'd be lucky if we still had a couple of pages.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Well, the Jewish scriptures certainly are, while the New Testament was until gentiles started to get invited.

Whilst the Hebrew scriptures were initially written to Jews for Jews, its wider application in relating to the coming Messiah made its knowledge beneficial for Christ's followers. Its hard to understand Christianity without understanding the Jewish faith and the environment in which the human child, Jesus was raised, and how they deteriorated into a corrupted shadow of their former selves.

Jesus was pretty clear, though, at least at first, that he's a-comin' just for his homies.

That is not entirely true. Jesus had a mission that included adhering to the Abrahamic Covenant. God's promise to Abraham was that a seed in his family line would come at the appointed time and that through this one "all the families on earth would be blessed". Jesus gave his life to fulfill that promise.

This Messiah would seek to find from among Abraham's offspring, a suitable priesthood to rule with him in his kingdom. Sadly, the Jews rejected him as their king and Messiah, with only a relative "few" responding to his message. Interestingly, Jesus said he was sent only to "the lost sheep of the house of Israel". He was not sent to those who loved the corrupt system of worship that Judaism became. Only a "remnant" of the Jews were foretold to come back to God in the final outcome.....so the majority of those who benefited from the promise were going to have to come from the nations.....that includes us.

We were irrelevant. I think the Good Samaritan parable was invented after he experienced the faiths of the centurion and the gentile woman. He learned a lesson: gentiles aren't as bad as he thought. However, he died before he could truly flesh out that part of his ministry and it was (mostly)Paul and (kinda)Peter who developed it.

If you read the Bible, you will see that we were always in God's plans. But he needed a people who were his exclusive nation, to give them his laws and to form a relationship with them on the basis of trust so that he could write a record of his dealings with them and their conduct in relation to him as his covenant people, bound by his laws.

God was always trustworthy, but unfortunately humans can not be trusted to keep their word. Israel were no different or better than anyone else....they were simply the people who descended from God's faithful servant Abraham and they form a written record of God's relationship with humans who agreed by their own choice to abide by his laws. Despite their many failures and corrections, God finally delivered on his promise to produce the Messiah.....sadly his own people did not see him that way, so as a final gesture, God made it clear through his son, that these covenant breakers no longer qualified to be his people (Matt 23:37-39)...he would choose a new nation upon which to place his name. (Acts 15:14) Spiritual Israel came into existence and God adopted these as his sons. (Matt 3:9)

^_- Are you able to trace yourself to this family line? You DO realize there were other people on the planet, yes? The majority of the people on the planet have NOTHING to do with Abe's line.

It was only the Messiah who needed to trace his lineage to Abraham...it was part of his credentials. All who accept Jesus as Messiah, no matter what nation they live in, if they live according to God's laws through the teachings of his son, will be in line for salvation. Jesus is the judge of who is a sheep and who is a goat...not us. (Matt 7:21-23)

Don't get me wrong: I think the Way is for everyone too (though I don't think it matters who is the cheerleader for it at the time). But the bible most certainly wasn't written for us, but for the contemporary audiences. I think it was a mistake for the church to finalize a canon, as it "kills" the Word of God. It would be ridiculously huge, of course, but at least by letting the bible live on, you could help modern audiences see that God is speaking to them too.

I disagree. The Bible is not a book just for the ancients. It is a living book of human history and human nature, which never changes. Humans have the same problems and emotions that they have always had, the only thing that changes is the cause. The Bible speaks to a global audience because its words transcend language and culture and aim right at the hearts of individuals.We are all the same under the skin...God's children.

It has relevant counsel on marriage, divorce, child rearing, forgiveness, kindness, generosity, how to deal with hateful speech, a cheating mate, disobedient children...the list is endless. It all still works because it is a message from the one who made us. He speaks to the heart, not the era.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
This thread contra to rule 9 is pushing personal agenda

9. Subverting/Undermining the Forum Mission
The mission of Religious Forums is to provide a civil, informative, respectful, and welcoming environment where people of diverse beliefs can discuss, compare, and debate. Content members create while debating and discussing must be done in the spirit of productivity. Bashing other forums, creating unproductive content or responses to others, attempting to use this site as a platform for campaigning for or against or furthering a personal agenda, and attempting to undermine the forum mission may result in moderation.

Double standards is why covenant was lost

If you have a complaint to make, either use the report feature or create a Site Feedback thread.

outhouse

Atheistically
Its hard to understand Christianity without understanding the Jewish faith and the environment in which the human child, Jesus was raised, and how they deteriorated into a corrupted shadow of their former selves

You really need a good history class.

The bolded section is nothing more then apologetic rhetoric

The NT was authored by people who had been perverting and oppressing Judaism for hundreds of years.

Christianity was nothing more then the Hellenistic divorce of a perverted form of Judaism from cultural Judaism.

outhouse

Atheistically
The Bible is not a book just for the ancients. It is a living book of human history and human nature, which never changes.

Could you please take a small free class at any university before talking about things you obviously know nothing about?

It is not a living book.

The books evolved and changed over almost a thousand years before the NT plagiarized the OT text.

The OT was redacted so much its hard to tell one author from another.

The NT is not innocent either.

SpeaksForTheTrees

You really need a good history class.

The bolded section is nothing more then apologetic rhetoric

The NT was authored by people who had been perverting and oppressing Judaism for hundreds of years.

Christianity was nothing more then the Hellenistic divorce of a perverted form of Judaism from cultural Judaism.
You really need a good English class , from someone so critical of others I would expect flawless grammar .
I like odd mistake in grammar is a sign of defiance to deface the language , eloquent indeed if you can still get you point across .
The OT a book of murder ,war and deciet .
Greek ? Odin was not Greek , Christianity a mismash of Norse mythology and Judaism or should I say the evolution of Christianity came from

Kingdom against kingdom is a choice of which would you prefer I guess Christianity is the best of a bad bunch or maybe they just had the sharpest swords , you study history isolation is not an option
Unorthodox(pure) christianity is not such a hard line.

SpeaksForTheTrees

You can describe this if you like.

There is no pure Christianity

In layman's terms like over a drink with a friend or in a formal manner ? Would be miles off topic maybe sometime i start a thread you can destroy.
History he he got to give it to them God loves a tryer ..

SpeaksForTheTrees

The vast majority if the writings in what you call the "O.T." is simply not as you are portraying it.

Subjective depending on ones own personal nature. One war was one to many ?. One murder to many is my logic , I judge the whole of humanity by OT up until NT when all starts with a clean slate.
God provided nature to satisfy the thirst for blood and suffering .
One is one to many is my logic .

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Subjective depending on ones own personal nature. One war was one to many ?. One murder to many is my logic , I judge the whole of humanity by OT up until NT when all starts with a clean slate.
God provided nature to satisfy the thirst for blood and suffering .
One is one to many is my logic .
Then you should also dislike the "N.T." and Christianity as well, the latter of which has had a very violent history.