• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The bible for Jews only?

Leo613

because the Jewish Bible is the foundation of Judaism. If other people want to embrace it, they would be Jews. The Jewish Bible is only good for Jews.
There are laws in the bible that are good for non Jews as well like Sabbath or slaughtering kosher way. Why didn't God give these laws to everyone?

rosends

There are laws in the bible that are good for non Jews as well like Sabbath or slaughtering kosher way. Why didn't God give these laws to everyone?
Why are those "good" for non-Jews? Is there something inherently better about them that people who aren't Jewish should aspire to them?

roger1440

I do stuff
We all need to seek rest. Jews take one road others take another, but the destination is the same.

rosends

Having rest is Sabbath and kosher is not being cruel.
there are other ways to kill animals and not be cruel, and vegetarians are even less cruel. We rest every night and some people go on vacation. Why would the sabbath or shechita matter?

rosends

Or what ever the reason for it I thought there was logical reason
The laws of kashrut are without reason. They are simply because they are. Once we start looking for taamei hamitzvos, we allow ourselves to logic our way out of their applicability.

roger1440

I do stuff
What about having a rest something similar to Sabbath
And something similar too kosher if healthier?
Myths & Facts: Is Kosher Food Healthier?
"...All in all, there’s nothing to suggest that kosher food is healthier from a nutrition standpoint than non-kosher foods. You can find just as much sodium and sugar in products that are kosher as in ones that are not. Plus, kosher items are usually more expensive (somebody has to pay for all that checking)..." http://www.foods4betterhealth.com/myths-facts-is-kosher-food-healthier-2738

US study: Kosher chicken less healthy
"..."The 'historical roots' of kosher dietary practice have more to do with religious concepts of ritual purity, ethical treatment of animals, and Jewish identity than with food safety," the two professors write...." http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4452850,00.html

roger1440

I do stuff
Or what ever the reason for it I thought there was logical reason
There is a reason for the kosher dietary laws, but I wouldn't use the term "logical". The Jews are a people, a nation a community right? What is the root of the word "community"?

SpeaksForTheTrees

God chooses Abraham who are we to question ? Maybe race is unimportant maybe God chooses Abraham simply as he was wisest human on earth .
On race we are all equal ?
So must be some other reason God chooses Abraham .
Before the romans came my native religion was very close to Hinduism .

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Apparently He didn't, going by history and how it's spread throughout the world. So if He meant it to be only for Jews, He kind of failed, didn't He?
And Torah supports you on this as what we came to believe was to be passed on to others. It is only us Jews that are bound by the Mosaiic Law, so non-Jews can take what they feel is useful and develop their own beliefs and applications.