• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell me about your wine

exchemist

Veteran Member
in the U.S. we can have food and drink with place names that did not come from that area. We can have Wisconsin Stilton, or <shudder> New York City champagne.
Yes I know. We have a bit of it too, sadly, e.g. "cheddar" cheese from anywhere under the sun, all tasting grossly inferior to the real thing.

I have grave doubts that a New World Bordeaux blend will (in general) taste much like Bordeaux. The New World wine marketers have tried very hard to crush out of existence the concepts of terroir and tradition in the consumer's mind, but in fact it is obvious, to anyone who has been around a while, that they play a huge role. Just as they do in cheese.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yes I know. We have a bit of it too, sadly, e.g. "cheddar" cheese from anywhere under the sun, all tasting grossly inferior to the real thing.

I have grave doubts that a New World Bordeaux blend will (in general) taste much like Bordeaux. The New World wine marketers have tried very hard to crush out of existence the concepts of terroir and tradition in the consumer's mind, but in fact it is obvious, to anyone who has been around a while, that they play a huge role. Just as they do in cheese.
The good news is not that many do so. I had to look up exactly what a Bordeaux is, at least grape wise. I found that they are typically a mixture of cabernet and merlot. Here those are advertised as that, mixtures and not as a Bordeaux.

exchemist

Veteran Member
The good news is not that many do so. I had to look up exactly what a Bordeaux is, at least grape wise. I found that they are typically a mixture of cabernet and merlot. Here those are advertised as that, mixtures and not as a Bordeaux.
Yes. Left bank mainly Cab Sauv/Merlot, right bank (where the soil is heavier) Cab Fr./Merlot. In both cases there is usually also a bit of Petit Verdot and/or other varieties I can't remember, in the interests of a harmonious blend. The proportions, e.g. of Cab Sauv to Merlot, can vary widely, but the effect in all of them is remarkably similar and distinctive.

Left bank needs more bottle age than right bank, up to double, for the tannin esp. in Cab Sauv to soften (I suspect by precipitation, though I have never seen this stated as the mechanism) and the flavours to come through. I give the stuff I can afford to buy (which is almost always left bank cru bourgeois or rarely lesser cru classés, a go after 7-10yrs and see how it is getting on. I tend to buy by the case, or half case, so if I start on one a bit early I can forget about it for a couple of years and come back to it later. Sadly I have to drink less now, as I am starting to suffer from heart arrhythmia (AF), so I don't know how much more I shall buy. But there are plenty of bottles in the cellar for me to eke out sparingly. Old age is a pain.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Speaking of Bordeaux/Meritage, another nice blend is GSM, my wine of choice when eating Middle Eastern food. Also nice are the Super Tuscans ...

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Have you ever tried Ch. Musar? I keep meaning to but never have, to date.
I'm ashamed to admit that I've never heard of it, but it looks intriguing. Perhaps I'll swing by Binny's next week and pick one up.

One concern: wiki notes:
Due to the winemaking philosophy of Serge Hochar, its vintages are notoriously inconsistent.​
and
The red wine, which is the best known is made from Cabernet Sauvignon, Cinsault, Carignan, Grenache, and Mourvèdre grapes in varying amounts each year.​

The trick will be to pick up one that is worth the price and, perhaps, worth the wait.

Thanks for the information.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
My experience has been that Canada produces some very acceptable Bordeaux (or, more correctly, Meritage) style wines, primarily because of their rather good Cab Franc -- although, admittedly, my experience has been pretty much limited to the Niagara-on-the-Lake region. Next time you're up tin that region stop for lunch or dinner at Vineland, Peller, or Trius, and bring home a case. :D
OK, but there's a "carrying charge". :p

And thanx for the recommendation.

Orbit

I'm a planet
We just ordered some Chateaunneuf de Pape that had a 95 rating from Wine Spectator, but we're in a quandary because the tasting notes say drink it in 2020......if it tastes like a 95 now then can't we drink it now?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
We just ordered some Chateaunneuf de Pape that had a 95 rating from Wine Spectator, but we're in a quandary because the tasting notes say drink it in 2020......if it tastes like a 95 now then can't we drink it now?
Some wines, if stored properly, improve with age. If you do not have a dark room of constant temperature where it will be safe for a couple years then drink it now.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Not necessarily. The ratings are often given quite young, to wines that are not ready for drinking and are an assessment of their potential. This is especially true of Bx which needs typically at least 5 yrs to be drinkable at all, about 10yrs before it is real pleasure, and may reach its peak after 20 or more.

I don't much about Rhone wine (my wife was brought up on Bx.), though I am now trying to learn. I looked up Ch N du P in Hugh Johnson. He seems to think they need about 10yrs and can go on far longer, i.e. a bit like Bx. He comments that it should be pure and fine but "too many sweet, heavy, sip-only Parker-esque wines". (This a reference to the hated Robert Parker, who has done a fair amount of damage to traditional styles of French wine.) But some people like that sort of thing. I always think of Rhone as wines for winter - warming and spicy. Usually end up drinking it when we go skiing in Savoie during February. :)

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
I'm a wine enthusiast, and would love to hear about your wine discoveries; what's good; what's not.

I'm really into best values. Over $40 a bottle is out of my range. I've had great $12 wines and great $25 bottles.

Favorite $12-15 bottles: Anything from Chateau Ste Michelle or Columbia Crest vineyards. Going up from there really varies-- I tend to like light French wines. I absolutely love my Beaujolais Nouveau every November.

How about you?

I stopped drinking years ago but give wine as gifts fairly often. I like to buy (at least fairly ) local. For example, I often give wine from western NY. I am surprised at how many people do not know about the industry there:

Finger Lakes Wine – A guide to Finger Lakes Wineries, Wine and Wine trails

Good quality and good value.

Last edited:

WalterTrull

Godfella
I got a kick out of one of the cheapo red wines I bought in college. Don't remember the brand, but it was of the Thunderbird ilk. The label read "Serve incredibly cold" Thing is, you really did have to follow the label's advice.

meshellean

devinedness
I'm a wine enthusiast, and would love to hear about your wine discoveries; what's good; what's not.

I'm really into best values. Over $40 a bottle is out of my range. I've had great $12 wines and great $25 bottles.

Favorite $12-15 bottles: Anything from Chateau Ste Michelle or Columbia Crest vineyards. Going up from there really varies-- I tend to like light French wines. I absolutely love my Beaujolais Nouveau every November.

How about you?

meshellean

devinedness
devine wine will b the best when we qualify 4 such privledges of service in r next life after death 4 those who r deemed qualified by the devine creator/guardean
it was symbolized by the tree of life

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
If one likes dry reds with body, such as Bordeaux or Chianti, but prefer an excellent domestic wine (U.S.), maybe try Mondavi cabernet sauvignon.