• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell me about your wine

Orbit

I'm a planet
I'm a wine enthusiast, and would love to hear about your wine discoveries; what's good; what's not.

I'm really into best values. Over $40 a bottle is out of my range. I've had great $12 wines and great $25 bottles.

Favorite $12-15 bottles: Anything from Chateau Ste Michelle or Columbia Crest vineyards. Going up from there really varies-- I tend to like light French wines. I absolutely love my Beaujolais Nouveau every November.

How about you?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Grew up in Compton so I was familiar with the "rot gut" types.

MD 20/20

Thunderbird

Night Train

Red Rooster 21

Wild Irish Rose

But at 36, I've grown up to the more "classy wines" like: Rombauer Chardonnay (white wine), Stoller Reserve Chardonnay 2014, Aia Vecchia 2014 Vermentino Toscana IGT

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Grew up in Compton so I was familiar with the "rot gut" types.

MD 20/20

Thunderbird

Night Train

Red Rooster 21

Wild Irish Rose

Drank all of those except for Red Rooster, never heard of that one but out of the bum wines I'd say Night Train was the best overall though I don't think it is made anymore. Wild Irish Rose was a little sweet for my tastes but not bad, MD 20/20 was terrible and thunderbird was pretty much the bottom of the barrel.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I'm a wine enthusiast, and would love to hear about your wine discoveries; what's good; what's not.

I'm really into best values. Over $40 a bottle is out of my range. I've had great $12 wines and great $25 bottles.

Favorite $12-15 bottles: Anything from Chateau Ste Michelle or Columbia Crest vineyards. Going up from there really varies-- I tend to like light French wines. I absolutely love my Beaujolais Nouveau every November.

How about you?

These:

http://winesmithwines.com/2007-cabernet-franc-0

Be really careful... They're a stealth bomber, but they taste way better than they cost.

About 3/$59 (on sale now, in the 2010 vintage) but they used to go for 29 sometimes on woot... When you just need the best wine, but don't wanna pay for it. :D

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member

How about you?
I find the Nebbiolo from Vajra excellent value. In the UK it has been available from Wine Soc at about £15/bbl. It is equal to many Barolos at 3 times the price and good to drink after 3-4yrs.

For whites, I also very much like Jurançon Sec at about £8/bbl from Domaine Cauhapé. But Jurançon Sec is very variable so I would not take a punt on a version from someone else. And almost any Chablis PremierCru is good - usually around £20/bbl.

I am still working my way towards the end of 2 cases of Ch Meyney 2005 (red Bx) which are beautiful. I think they cost me at the time about £20/bbl, though by now I expect they are worth at least £50/bbl - double that in a restaurant of course.

But this is view from England, so perhaps not v accessible to those across the Atlantic.

Vee

Premium Member

How about you?

I live in France and work for the wine industry so if you ever come to this side of the world PM me and I'll take you wine tasting :)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I learned to love Bordeaux after spending some time in Quebec. Dark & full bodied-- not foo-foo.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Pasqua offers a very good Amarone along with comparable Valpolicella Ripasso -- a so-called "baby Amarone." I mention the former because the Pasqua offering is available at less than half the typical cost.

Orbit

I'm a planet
I live in France and work for the wine industry so if you ever come to this side of the world PM me and I'll take you wine tasting :)

Wow!!! Thank you. We are planning a trip to France in 2 years if you can hold that offer :)

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I tens not to go for labels as I like to try different wines, for varieties I like cabernet sauvignon red and white, pinot noir, rioja, chardonnay, reisling, mosel but I'll try most.

I'm looking forward to going to new Zealand next month as the pinot noir is very good and inexpensive straight from the vineyard, I like champagne too but not too dry, it's also expensive and you are paying for the word, a much cheaper option is cava with a little cassis in it.

GoodbyeDave

I have to confess I buy wine just because (1) I need it for libations and (2) my doctor says a glass a day is good for the heart. So, my answer is Chilean or Australian vin ordinaire from the supermarket, at £5 a bottle.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

How about you?

Im not a great drinker of any alcohol but i do enjoy a glass of wine at a celebration.

Where I live in France Bergerac and Cahors wines are fairly local with Domme wines right on the doorstep.

Cahors wines tend to be more full bodied than the Bergeracs and the Domme wine is low cost, drinkable plonk.

My favourite though is Montbazillac, (a Bergerac cooperative) Chateau Saint-Christophe.

Montbazillac produce mostly white wine that tends to be sweet, many of the vineyards produce desert type wines. The St-Christophe is less sweet than typical. To me it is pure nectar.

chateaudemonbazillac-chateaudemonbazillac--33-.jpg

630321.jpg

Attachments

• 630321.jpg
    630321.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 0

exchemist

Veteran Member
Im not a great drinker of any alcohol but i do enjoy a glass of wine at a celebration.

Where I live in France Bergerac and Cahors wines are fairly local with Domme wines right on the doorstep.

Cahors wines tend to be more full bodied than the Bergeracs and the Domme wine is low cost, drinkable plonk.

My favourite though is Montbazillac, (a Bergerac cooperative) Chateau Saint-Christophe.

Montbazillac produce mostly white wine that tends to be sweet, many of the vineyards produce desert type wines. The St-Christophe is less sweet than typical. To me it is pure nectar.

View attachment 24088

View attachment 24090
Yes I like Monbazillac too, though it has a bit of a maiden aunt image in France, I gather. But Sauternes and Barsac really better, for special occasions, esp foie gras.

We enjoyed Cahors when we stayed at a hotel in a castle there - Ch. Mercues. Château de Mercuès, Boutique Hotelin a vineyard – Relais & Châteaux
This was when my wife was alive and we had more money!

I have a sister-in-law near Toulouse, in a place called Fronton, which also has its own local wine, v.good with cassoulet acc. Hugh Johnson. Which, oddly enough, is what we were served while we were staying there...... :)

Orbit

I'm a planet
I tens not to go for labels as I like to try different wines, for varieties I like cabernet sauvignon red and white, pinot noir, rioja, chardonnay, reisling, mosel but I'll try most.

I'm looking forward to going to new Zealand next month as the pinot noir is very good and inexpensive straight from the vineyard, I like champagne too but not too dry, it's also expensive and you are paying for the word, a much cheaper option is cava with a little cassis in it.

I think cava and prosecco are both very good--and I really like Portugal's Vinho Verde, which is lightly sparkling and very easy on the pocketbook.