• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell me about your wine

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Yes I like Monbazillac too, though it has a bit of a maiden aunt image in France, I gather. But Sauternes and Barsac really better, for special occasions, esp foie gras.

We enjoyed Cahors when we stayed at a hotel in a castle there - Ch. Mercues. Château de Mercuès, Boutique Hotelin a vineyard – Relais & Châteaux
This was when my wife was alive and we had more money!

I have a sister-in-law near Toulouse, in a place called Fronton, which also has its own local wine, v.good with cassoulet acc. Hugh Johnson. Which, oddly enough, is what we were served while we were staying there...... :)

It does have that "Montbazillac??? Are you sure" image. I always found it palatable and smooth and have never been disappointed. It just suits my taste buds.

Edit : it always seems to be most welcome when given as a present.

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I learned to love Bordeaux after spending some time in Quebec. Dark & full bodied-- not foo-foo.
Actually, Bordeaux refers to a region rather than a grape.

My experience has been that Canada produces some very acceptable Bordeaux (or, more correctly, Meritage) style wines, primarily because of their rather good Cab Franc -- although, admittedly, my experience has been pretty much limited to the Niagara-on-the-Lake region. Next time you're up tin that region stop for lunch or dinner at Vineland, Peller, or Trius, and bring home a case. :D

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
You might laugh at Gallo, but their higher end wines (not the jug variety) are actually very good and win awards.
That's true for most big houses. Still, you stand a much better chance finding really good wine values at Costco.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I think cava and prosecco are both very good--and I really like Portugal's Vinho Verde, which is lightly sparkling and very easy on the pocketbook.

I havent tried vinho verde, I'll look out for it though,I think sparkling wine is party time, it's not a drink alone wine to relax with Imo.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I live in France and work for the wine industry so if you ever come to this side of the world PM me and I'll take you wine tasting :)
Oh I hate you. I used to enjoy my wine but lately I develop what has been diagnosed at least once as "contact dermatitis" on my hands after drinking wine. Now I am on the wagon since the irritation caused by wine is greater than the pleasure it gives.

That being said I used to enjoy Washington reds as another poster does. Pretty much the same brands.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Oh I hate you. I used to enjoy my wine but lately I develop what has been diagnosed at least once as "contact dermatitis" on my hands after drinking wine. Now I am on the wagon since the irritation caused by wine is greater than the pleasure it gives.

Just out of curiosity, do you happen to know if you react to kosher wines or white wines?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Just out of curiosity, do you happen to know if you react to kosher wines or white wines?

My wine drinking is pretty much limited to red wines. I think it is a general allergic reaction to anything fermented. That can include too much in the way of pickles, wine, sauerkraut etc.. I had a flair up after I made some very nice Reuben Sandwiches. Almost everything in that sandwich has some form of fermented product in it.

And high quality beer does it too. For a while I thought that I would have a nice IPA with dinner. My body nixed that as well. Oh well, I want to lose some weight anyway and most alcohol products do pack on the pounds it seems.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Two buck chuck, almost three in my state with taxes, is not bad at all for such an amazingly cheap wine.

And one varietal that has not been mentioned here is Malbec. It is either Argentinian or Chilean. Head Snapper is a reasonably priced brand at about $14.00.
Actually Christine has sort of mentioned it, tacitly. Malbec is the grape of Cahors - subsequently exported to S America, where it has proved a great success........unlike Pinot Noir, which notoriously tends to make disappointing wine outside its homeland.

I understand that the original mediaeval wine trade to England from Bordeaux was actually this "black wine" from Cahors, which was sent down the Lot, Garonne and Gironde for loading onto vessels for England. The export of wine from around Bx itself came later, it seems. But now, as you say, people associate Malbec with Argentina and Chile.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I think cava and prosecco are both very good--and I really like Portugal's Vinho Verde, which is lightly sparkling and very easy on the pocketbook.
I would have to disagree with you on that. I've never had a prosecco yet that I've enjoyed. Cava, I don't know about.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Actually, Bordeaux refers to a region rather than a grape.

My experience has been that Canada produces some very acceptable Bordeaux (or, more correctly, Meritage) style wines, primarily because of their rather good Cab Franc -- although, admittedly, my experience has been pretty much limited to the Niagara-on-the-Lake region. Next time you're up tin that region stop for lunch or dinner at Vineland, Peller, or Trius, and bring home a case. :D
What is Meritage? I'm not familiar with this. Does it denote a Bx blend, i.e. Cab Sauv.+Cab Fr.+Merlot + odds and ends? Or does it mean something else?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Actually Christine has sort of mentioned it, tacitly. Malbec is the grape of Cahors - subsequently exported to S America, where it has proved a great success........unlike Pinot Noir, which notoriously tends to make disappointing wine outside its homeland.

I understand that the original mediaeval wine trade to England from Bordeaux was actually this "black wine" from Cahors, which was sent down the Lot, Garonne and Gironde for loading onto vessels for England. The export of wine from around Bx itself came later, it seems. But now, as you say, people associate Malbec with Argentina and Chile.

Thank you. I did not know that. But it makes sense that some wines will be named differently in other countries. Another example would by syrah, which became shiraz in Australia. And I have had both and either they are treated a bit differently or there are other factors but they have a different flavor to me even though they are the "same grape":

https://vinepair.com/wine-101/learn-about-syrah-shiraz-wine/

And as you said, Pinot Noir outside of France tends to be rather disappointing. If I keep going in this discussion I might end up risking a slight outbreak.

ChristineM

Premium Member
My wine drinking is pretty much limited to red wines. I think it is a general allergic reaction to anything fermented. That can include too much in the way of pickles, wine, sauerkraut etc.. I had a flair up after I made some very nice Reuben Sandwiches. Almost everything in that sandwich has some form of fermented product in it.

And high quality beer does it too. For a while I thought that I would have a nice IPA with dinner. My body nixed that as well. Oh well, I want to lose some weight anyway and most alcohol products do pack on the pounds it seems.

Try my trick. A glass of chilled water (i keep a bottle at around 3c (about 37 in your language) ) add a couple of ice cubes. It can take your breath away just as well as a good single malt or cognac.

With the advantage of being able to drive after

Talking of which, a few months ago i was pulled by the police for a random breath test. It was mid afternoon, a time when most people have enjoyed a glass or two of wine with their lunch. When i blew 0.0 the officer was so surprised he had to take it over to show his colleague for a double check.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Try my trick. A glass of chilled water (i keep a bottle at around 3c (about 37 in your language) ) add a couple of ice cubes. It can take your breath away just as well as a good single malt or cognac.

With the advantage of being able to drive after

Talking of which, a few months ago i was pulled by the police for a random breath test. It was mid afternoon, a time when most people have enjoyed a glass or two of wine with their lunch. When i blew 0.0 the officer was so surprised he had to take it over to show his colleague for a double check.

Ice water! I wonder if I can get that in a restaurant in the U.S.:p I would usually have my wine at home with dinner. I would not drink enough to be impaired at any rate, or have not for a long long time. I miss it a bit, but it is not the end of the world. And there are other benefits. Weight loss, no outbreaks on my hands, more money in my wallet.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Thank you. I did not know that. But it makes sense that some wines will be named differently in other countries. Another example would by syrah, which became shiraz in Australia. And I have had both and either they are treated a bit differently or there are other factors but they have a different flavor to me even though they are the "same grape":

https://vinepair.com/wine-101/learn-about-syrah-shiraz-wine/

And as you said, Pinot Noir outside of France tends to be rather disappointing. If I keep going in this discussion I might end up risking a slight outbreak.
Well syrah and shiraz are genetically identical, so the differences will be in terroir (soil, climate) and vinification methods. The Aussies seem to do it very differently from what the French do in the Rhone valley, where it comes from.

I don't know why the Aussies called it shiraz. It has nothing to do with the town in Persia(Iran), apparently. One theory I have read is that they weren't sure how to pronounce syrah, and since they were selling on grape variety rather than regional name a la francaise, it was important to have a name that everyone could pronounce with confidence. But I don't know.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Ice water! I wonder if I can get that in a restaurant in the U.S.:p I would usually have my wine at home with dinner. I would not drink enough to be impaired at any rate, or have not for a long long time. I miss it a bit, but it is not the end of the world. And there are other benefits. Weight loss, no outbreaks on my hands, more money in my wallet.

Im sure they should have bottled water in the chiller. May cost more than the wine though.

Here it is law that restaurants provide water (and bread) with your meal. It's usually tap water and not chilled. For chilled you would be charged.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Im sure they should have bottled water in the chiller. May cost more than the wine though.

Here it is law that restaurants provide water (and bread) with your meal. It's usually tap water and not chilled. For chilled you would be charged.
Oh my. Here ice water is often the first thing that comes out. No charge. And tap water in most places in the U.S. is just as good or better than bottled water. My local tap water is extremely high quality. From a mountain lake where they do not even allow fisherman to use live bait, much less motors or anything else. One can go fishing there with artificial lures:

Spada Lake - Culmback Dam — Washington Trails Association

EDIT: In the winter no ice is needed. Straight from the tap it is going to be about 3 C.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Oh my. Here ice water is often the first thing that comes out. No charge. And tap water in most places in the U.S. is just as good or better than bottled water. My local tap water is extremely high quality. From a mountain lake where they do not even allow fisherman to use live bait, much less motors or anything else. One can go fishing there with artificial lures:

Spada Lake - Culmback Dam — Washington Trails Association

EDIT: In the winter no ice is needed. Straight from the tap it is going to be about 3 C.

Nice.

Even at 3c id add ice, more refreshing the closer to freezing it is.