• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tarot Cards

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
Master Vigil said:
The legend is that Tarot Cards were first used by the gypsies, and were first recorded to be used by the italian gypsies. Do you believe this? And have you used them? If so what technique do you use, and how successful have you been?

I have used them a few times, I did a couple of test runs on myself which while the results were bang on they didn't tell me anything that I didn't allready know at the time.
I did a reading for my mum and my friend Gaz and again both were spot on with acuracy.
I use the Rider Waite set of cards and a simple 7 card layout, any more cards then that and I'd be confused lol.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
as i understand it, the Gypsies who used Tarot decks way back when, made their own decks, their own pictures, their own meanings, on how ever many number of cards they wanted - there was no such thing as a standardized tarot deck. however, some decks and depictions did rise in popularity, and the Rider Waite deck was one of them. Waite was from the Golden Dawn, so the symbology in his deck draws on Christian, Pagan and Kabbalist sources, meaning anyone with a vague idea of Christianity, Judaism and Paganism can read the deck.

i've been learning both on my own and through group at uni, i have both a rider waite deck and a vampire tarot deck - i love my vampire one, but i needed the waite one to learn the basics, it's quite hard to read the vampire one!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
i love my vampire one, but i needed the waite one to learn the basics, it's quite hard to read the vampire one!
What type of Vampire Deck? I have the La Scarebo (spelling) Vampire Deck. It is a very beutiful deck, and the imagry on it is such that you have to have true appreciation of the Night, and her children, to even begin to see the positive meanings in the cards or understand them. Most people I've done readings for with it find it odd that a card with two people fleeing a burning building, two bloody hands holding a bloodied token, a vampire being burnt by the sun, and some others, are actually positive.

I did recently purchase the Animal Tarot deck, which was made by Ted Andrews. I also find that one to be a good deck.

I am also open to do Tarot readings for anyone if they want one. My Celtic Dragon deck was ruined (forgot my car window was open, and they got buried with snow:sad4: ), so it will probably be with the Vampire deck, so it will not be extremely detailed, but rather an overview.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I only have one deck, and it works very well for me. I found the Gilded Tarot easy to use and to learn from.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
I have a Ryder-Waite and the Labyrinth Tarot by Luis Royo ('cause i love his art).

Haven't used them in years though.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
This is the only good bit I could find on the Gothic Vampire deck.
http://www.aeclectic.net/gothic-vampires/
This site has a picture of a few different cards, including the burning building.

It is a great deck. Using it for divination, it showed an unexpected child birth, and all the hells it would cause for my friend. He chose to blow it off, and 4 months later, his girlfriend became pregnant. 3 months after the discovery, they moved to Ohio, and he has been miserable ever since.

XAAX

Luke Wolf said:
I just got the Thoth deck a couple weeks ago. That deck is definitly more advanced than my other decks. I'll be studing that one for a long time before I do grasp any understanding of it.

Its a great one. I went through a number of decks for years before coming across the Thoth Deck. I have had the same deck I purchased almost 15 years ago, have used it ever since. To me there is no other that I have used that compares in symbology and mystical meaning. They have been extremely accurate for me. I recomend reading the Book of Thoth if you want to learn alot of the meanings to the cards. I have found that once you get an understanding of what is in the cards, the meanings will reveal themselves to you. I don't know if this works for everyone or not. I feel that I had a past life connection with this deck so it could be different for others...

madcap

Eternal Optimist
My person belief is that Tarot cards don't possess any intrinsic spiritual or supernatural powers, but function as a mechanism for the reader to focus his/her knowledge and intuition. So if you're reading the cards for yourself, they ought to be very accurate. If you're reading for someone else, a lot depends on how well you know them (if at all), and how generally empathetic you are.

Could it be that the cards also help you tap in to some kind of ESP? Maybe. But in any case, I think the reader is more powerful than the cards.

When I read (rarely and only for fun), I use the Spiral Tarot set. It's really a beautiful set.

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
XAAX said:
Its a great one. I went through a number of decks for years before coming across the Thoth Deck. I have had the same deck I purchased almost 15 years ago, have used it ever since. To me there is no other that I have used that compares in symbology and mystical meaning. They have been extremely accurate for me. I recomend reading the Book of Thoth if you want to learn alot of the meanings to the cards. I have found that once you get an understanding of what is in the cards, the meanings will reveal themselves to you. I don't know if this works for everyone or not. I feel that I had a past life connection with this deck so it could be different for others...

That is the only deck I own. I also advise all to read the Emerald Book of Thoth.... it is good.... thus my signature! :)

Dr. Nosophoros

I thought using "tarot" cards for fortune telling was a more recent phenomena...? Correct me if I am wrong but from what I understand they were the earliest representation of what we now know as the common playing card (minus the major arcana) and had nothing to do with precognition. On the other hand, I'm sure if you can find some meaning in the soaked, limp blotches at the bottom of a teacup, you will most likely find some meaning in the colorful cards that are steeped in "history" and are said to hold hidden and "arcane" knowledge, mystery is a good business as well as many others that prey on the weaknesses of the human animal.

yuvgotmel

Comet said:
That is the only deck I own. I also advise all to read the Emerald Book of Thoth.... it is good.... thus my signature! :)

LOL... You are so cool!

Here is my favorite quote from that book:
“List ye now to the unveiling of Mystery.
List to the symbols of Mystery I give.
Make of it a religion.
For only thus will its essence remain.”

~Wisdom of Thoth from the Supplementary Emerald Tablet XIV~

Boop

Coincidently(?), Angel #1 in the Book of 72 Angels (http://www.72anges.ca/ )occurs on March 21st to 25th approximately coinciding with the Spring Equinox.

On that date this year i was struck by the appearance of a young man walking alongside a road with a bag over his shoulder and a small dog, a modern day image of the Fool:
image.php

I think the 72 Angels could be used as an interpretational tool for the Tarot.

Here's the Angel for the Spring Equinox:

March 21st to 25th
Angel number 1 - ANGEL VEHUIAH - Divine Will

Qualities: Introduces the primordial creative Fire - Ability to act, to begin - Puts into motion, helps get started - Success for all new creations - Impetus toward unprecedented accomplishments in an avant-garde area - Provides an example, is a model, a leader - Dissipates confusion and breaks through an impasse - Provides energy needed to end illness or depression - Abundance of energy - Courage, audacity, bravery - LOVE as if for the first time.

Distortions: imposes one's will - triggers anger, agitation - involvement in ill-fated projects - rushes into things without thinking - violent situation, impulsiveness - inability to make up one's mind - pushing destiny - forcing someone's hand - going against the stream - destroys their circle of friends - stubborn, fierce, authoritarian, invasive

Boop

And Angel #2

"26th to March 30th
Angel number 2 - ANGEL JELIEL - Energy: Love, Wisdom

Qualities: Ability to concretize and solidify any reality - Grants stability, peacefulness, fertility and fidelity with one's partner - Settles any dispute, quarrel or conflict - Unselfish - Altruism, spreading love all around - Mediator, conciliator - Unifies the two poles (masculine-feminine) - Lively, sociable - Powerful language calming down even the most revolted - Calms our own inner revolt - Ability to persuade, lucidity on a theoretical plane.

Distortions: Bad manners, perversity - corruption - tyranny, oppression - divorce, division, disagreement - selfish single life, refuses children out of selfishness - difficulty to find a mate"
-----------------------------------

I think it is important to remember that what is good for the republicans is not necessarily good for America, and therefore what is labelled "Distortion" is not necessarily adverse, it depends on perspective.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
It is. Prior to that, they were used for divination.

And, strangely enough, to this day, Spanish playing cards still use the Clubs(shaped like the wands), swords are represented in the same way (what we have as spades). Pentacles are represented the same way again (which we call diamonds); which leaves cups (depicted in Spanish Playing cards as cups - or goblets) to our hearts suite - which is "The odd man out".

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
And, strangely enough, to this day, Spanish playing cards still use the Clubs(shaped like the wands), swords are represented in the same way (what we have as spades). Pentacles are represented the same way again (which we call diamonds); which leaves cups (depicted in Spanish Playing cards as cups - or goblets) to our hearts suite - which is "The odd man out".
Not at all "odd man." The cup, as recepticle of matter, has a fine symbolic correspondence with the heart as recepticle of spirit.

Boop

One may wonder whether the Crucifixion happening on or around the equinox was more than a coincidence.