• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tarot Cards

Master Vigil

I completely agree kreeden. Divination is not what some people think, it is a way to help a person deal with circumstances. Just like going to see a psychiatrist.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
:) Meditation . Very good advice Michel . Something often overlooked . The symbolism of the Tarot is a wonderfull thing .

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Well MV , if one takes into account free will , it can be little else . ;) But I do believe that there is a little more to divination , only it isn't written in stone . More like a possibility , if you will .

Master Vigil

Yeah, like "this is what could happen if you keep doing what your doing now" type of thing. But you can change it if you want.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Yes , that and life in general . Not just you personally . Intuition , if you will . For excample the stock market . Something any one of us have little control over . Divination can show possibilities there too , but I wouldn't stake my life's savings on it alone . :)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
kreeden said:
Yes , that and life in general . Not just you personally . Intuition , if you will . For excample the stock market . Something any one of us have little control over . Divination can show possibilities there too , but I wouldn't stake my life's savings on it alone . :)
hi Kreeden;
I'm going to presume (something I don't like doing) that you have misunderstood Master Vigil and me.
Meditation is the way in which we get in touch with our higher selves. Just where the stock market comes into this bemuses me; any form of divination is (in my book) immoral if used for personal gain. I would never dream of using the tarot to work out which company's 'return on assets' is going to be better.

No, the cards, used in meditation, can point one to the realization of a trait that is not particularly healthy, or helpful, towards 'growing' spiritually.:)

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Not at all Michel . :) I agree totally with you about the meditation . However , Master V. and I kinda got onto another aspect of the Tarot . That of divination , which may have nothing at all to do if meditation . { I guess it depends on how one meditates ? }

I used the stock market as an excample of something outside our personal influence , It was the first thing that came to mind . That is all . :) Could have used war , politics , natural disaster , or any mumber of things .

As for the morality behind any of this , it depends upon one's views . :) There are those who would say the use of the Tarot , in any form , is immoral . But I tend to agree with you there too . I believe that I have said that the only use I put the Tarot to anymore is to meditate upon the symbolism ? Being able to predict the future at will would be sooo boring , wouldn't it ? ;)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
kreeden said:
Not at all Michel . I agree totally with you about the meditation . However , Master V. and I kinda got onto another aspect of the Tarot . That of divination , which may have nothing at all to do if meditation . { I guess it depends on how one meditates ? }

I used the stock market as an excample of something outside our personal influence , It was the first thing that came to mind . That is all . Could have used war , politics , natural disaster , or any mumber of things .

As for the morality behind any of this , it depends upon one's views . There are those who would say the use of the Tarot , in any form , is immoral . But I tend to agree with you there too . I believe that I have said that the only use I put the Tarot to anymore is to meditate upon the symbolism ? Being able to predict the future at will would be sooo boring , wouldn't it ?
Sorry I misunderstood you; There is another point though, that I think you have not grasped. The future of any individual is not 'mapped' in complete detail, without there being any input by him. Life would be without purpose if that were so.

I, at the moment have a 'theoretical' future; it is based on my likes and dislikes, my physical health, my mental health. If I meditated using the tarot, and the reading pointed me to the conclusion (For sake of example) that I need to mix better with strangers; I have the choice of changing my attitudes or remaining as I am.

If I do change my attitudes, my future changes......:)

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Again I agree Michel . :) Totally agree . That is where Free Will comes into play , is it not ?

I'm sorry if I'm not making myself clear here . The only thing that you have said , that I question at all , is that about morality . And that , in my opinion is a matter of view . Again expressing free will . { and again , I agree with what you said , more then disagree , but that is only my opinion on morality } .

As I said , I believe that there is something to divination , be it intuition , or whatever . However , thankfully it is not written in stone . Life would be so boring if it were , hardly worth the living eh ? :)

amylong

When I went through a psychic seminary, we learned a little about Tarot. Some people used these elaborate layouts for what everything meant. That just stressed me out.

I just have the person shuffle the cards, ask a question and pick one at random.

The meaning of the card just comes either into my head, or straight out of my mouth before I give it much thought.

What I think is weird is that even when I do a bunch of readings, the same several cards get pulled by everyone. And I never touch the cards!

--Amy

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I enjoy using tarot cards.
Ive found that different decks can be stronger at certain things than others.
I use the Celtic Dragon for meditation, and is usually the one I use for divination.
I use the Lo Scarebo Vampire deck to aid in nocturnal rituals, and connecting to nocturnal energies. I also have the Wolf Song deck, but I just got it, so Im not sure what I should use it for yet. I did get a mini-wrider deck, but i just got that for amusment. Its to small for big hands to shuffle.

Would anyone happen to know anything about the Tarot of The Orisha? I ordered from a local metaphysical shop back in August, but all the store owner can find is the book, not the deck. Is it really popular, out of print, printed in small amounts, or something? I was told it was a great deck to use for rituals, so I decided I would give it a try, but the vendors never have it in stock.

In one of my divination books, im not sure which one, it said that a type of tarot cards first appeared in ancient Egypt. But another book I have says the origins of Tarot cards is unkown.

It is a shame that some people don't realize that the future is more a gel than concrete. I did a reading for a friend, and it showed his girlfriend would get pregnant, and it would cause financial problems. About 7 months later, his girlfriend became pregnant, and shes manager at a fast food making alittle over a grand a month, and he gets maybe 5 hours a week were he works, making a little over minimum wage.
When I asked why he didnt use more common since, or heed the warning, his reply was, because the cards showed it would happen, and thier was nothing he could do about it.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Luke Wolf , the origins of the Tarot are debatible , so it is likely safest to say that they are unknown . However , most say that the first known Tarot cards appeared in Italy { can recall when } .

I just picked up the Animal Spirit Knowledge Cards with Susan Seddon Boulet's art . I got them because I like her art . :) But I am wondering if anyone uses them for reading ? Most likely some one does ?

Oh , I should add that yes , I know they aren't Tarot cards . :)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
kreeden said:
Luke Wolf , the origins of the Tarot are debatible , so it is likely safest to say that they are unknown . However , most say that the first known Tarot cards appeared in Italy { can recall when } .

I just picked up the Animal Spirit Knowledge Cards with Susan Seddon Boulet's art . I got them because I like her art . :) But I am wondering if anyone uses them for reading ? Most likely some one does ?

Oh , I should add that yes , I know they aren't Tarot cards . :)
The roots of the Tarot are explained in the Kabbalah.
The Tetragrammaton, the fourfould name of God, usuallyspelt HVHY (yod he vau he)
correspond to the four suits of the Tarot.
One of the earliest known tarot or Tarocchi packs, being dated to c.1465, contemporary with the Visconti-Sforza deck of the mid-fifteenth century which is recognised as the earliest tarot. (Some authorities suggest that the Tarocchi of Mantegna may be earlier than the Visconti-Sforza.)-yes, there is some doubt.:)

Nehustan

Another name for the trumps of the major arcana are 'atu' which has the meaning of 'key'. Beyond divination the keys may be used to open the paths on the tree of life of which there are also 22 corresponding to the Chaldean/Hebrew alphabet.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Nehustan said:
Another name for the trumps of the major arcana are 'atu' which has the meaning of 'key'. Beyond divination the keys may be used to open the paths on the tree of life of which there are also 22 corresponding to the Chaldean/Hebrew alphabet.
Where did you get that from, out of interest ? - I have never heard of that, and you have me intrigued.............;)

Bangbang

I have used them before to help me focus and stay on path during a project. They do not tell the future.

Nehustan

I think what I and Bang bang refer to is likely to be the same thing, and your meditation upon them sounds also as if it is in the same ball park. The Hebrew qabbalistic tree is if you will a representation of a few concepts. It is primarily Macrocosm and Microcosm, if you will, to coin the famous axiom 'as above, so below'. The bottom sphere is called Malkuth, the Kingdom, the highest Kether, The Crown. The crown may be considered the crown of Adam Qadmon, the first man, but you may also consider it the crown of the second adam, whichever you choose The God's viceregent in Malkuth, let's say terra. It might make it easier if I throw up an image....

Tree%20of%20Life.jpg

If the tree may be considered a semetic 'chakra' system, then it uses the keys/cards to open up the internal paths in what is often called 'pathwork' a form of prototypical psychology and energy pathway system. Hope this helps, I actually managed to find a tree with the cards shown. I first came upon this concept via the writings of the Order of the Golden Dawn and the OTO. Each card is considered to have associations qabbalitically tho' many do not show these attributes. There are many constructive arguments about which model is right, when they are right, when they are not....The ultimate aim of tree work/path work is to ascend the tree and claim the crown as a son of Adam.

treelife1.jpg

Hope this helps​

(P.S. sory about the size of the images, I thought about making them smaller with photoshop, but you wouldn't be able to see the cards!!)​

Bangbang

michel said:
I use them to meditate (which I think is what you are saying)
Yes.....they can help you focus on projects and life challenges then you actions may determine the outcome.