• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tarot Cards

cardero

Citizen Mod
FeathersInHair writes: Do you think this is some sort of block? It's not as if I haven't been trying to learn these things, but I'm confused as to why I'm not picking up on something I'm so attracted to.

Someone told me when dealing with the Tarot, in the beginning grab a one word meaning of each card and once you can understand it you can eventually learn what the rest of the card means. With Tarot cards, experience is the key; the more you utilize them the more significance you can apply to them.

hoomer

Gypsys didnt come to europe unti AFTER tarot crds began to appear.....
The Vita Merini is proaby the first literary Appearance of Tarotchi imagery (12th century writing of Geoffrey of Monmouth..."the ife of merlin").......but like many thigns the origin is lost.....(perhaps fr the better...fr those that know..wink wink)

Personally I rely on intuition..the apearance of the cards and qabbaah (some say astrology qabbalah and tarot are 3 parts of 1 thing)when "reading them....and then only then the "BOOK meanings"

Of course what most dont know...or ever seem to approach ..is that divnation is the WEAKEST use of tarot cards......

SUMMA SCIENTIA NIHIL SCIRE

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
lilithu said:
Which deck are you using? Different decks use different forms of symbolism and some are easier for a newbie than others. Also, regardless of experience level, some just "jive" better with different people.
That might actually be my problem, now that I think of it. I've got the Goddess Tarot, the Unicorn, the Lord of the Rings, and at least one other deck that seems to be evading my memory. (I want the Celtic dragon one, too, but I'll save buying that for later, hehee.) To me, they all hold so much beauty that resonates when I look at the cards, so maybe my problem is that I should just stick with one for awhile.

Circle_One

I've become quite attached to my Egyptian tarot deck. I received it years ago as a present and I love it.

Master Vigil

"Gypsys didnt come to europe unti AFTER tarot crds began to appear.....
The Vita Merini is proaby the first literary Appearance of Tarotchi imagery (12th century writing of Geoffrey of Monmouth..."the ife of merlin").......but like many thigns the origin is lost.....(perhaps fr the better...fr those that know..wink wink)"

From what I've read, the Sinti Gypsies were in northern Europe far before the 12th century (since they are native to it). It is true though that the Romani Gypsies were not in Europe til around the 12th century, and not into Italy until the 14th century. Which ones first came up with it, I don't know. Like you said, the origin is still lost.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
FeathersinHair said:
That might actually be my problem, now that I think of it. I've got the Goddess Tarot, the Unicorn, the Lord of the Rings, and at least one other deck that seems to be evading my memory. (I want the Celtic dragon one, too, but I'll save buying that for later, hehee.) To me, they all hold so much beauty that resonates when I look at the cards, so maybe my problem is that I should just stick with one for awhile.
There are others here that are far more into the Tarot then I , I'm sure . And it has been years since I have actually read a deck . But I believe that the decks you list Feathers , are all advanced decks . Perhaps if you tried a more " traditional " deck at first ? Personally I have always liked the Ryder/Waite deck . But I do think that whichever deck you start with , it would likely be a good idea to focus on one untill you are comfortible with it . :)

Although I don't read any longer , I do love the symbolism . :) Just ask Michel . ;)

Master Vigil

Divination tools have been found in all Pre Christian and non christian times. In China, the I Ching has been around before Lao Tzu and Confucius. But the thing with europe is, after Christianity started to run rampant, all ways of Divination was destroyed ecxept for those that hid them. And none did this better than the Gypsies. Actually, none hid anything better than the gypsies, since they weren't bound by society. Even the pagans back then were still a part of society and thus bound by it, but the gyspies had their own society. And if they didn't like where they were, they just got up and left. I think (to the best of my recollection) the first tarot cards were just like our modern playing cards. And these were used by "wandering folk" in Eastern Europe. Or atleast that is the earliest it was seen by the rest of society. I think this first came out in society in Italy, but I may be wrong. But I do believe they called them "wandering folk," thus referring to the Gypsies.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Watcher! I have the same deck. The Celtic Dragon Tarot. I have had it for quite some time and have gotten very proficient with them.

I do readings quite frequently and have had others say it does freak them out because I have been so accurate. I have people now who come back to me and only me to have their readings done. I also have others that say they would not have it done again because it was too accurate and scared them.

Memorizing the exact divinatory meanings of the cards is really not as important as knowing how to decifer them in the particular positions in certain layouts.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
[PART QUOTE=Ravensong]First of all ........... she said I would have to not tell the clients everything I saw only the good things . I refused to do half readings ... :jiggy: [/QUOTE]
I don't blame you; I, like Carderro, use the Celtic Cross, the ryder/waite pack (I prefer the traditional) - I even have a pack where the designer has added four extra Major Arcana cards that I thought superfluous.
The bit about not telling people bad things is a hard one, but when you consider, with all the methods (Palmistry, Astrology, numerology, Tarot, pendulum)- what you are 'divining' is the state of the person at the time, with the present character traits. Therefore a reading could well include (And this is a true case of my Mother's reading of some girl friend when she was young)- a warning she gave to her friend that some 'undertaking' she was about to embrace would lead her to dire danger within 6 months-most likely death (This by palmistry).
The friend had been intending to change her job to airline stewardess(This being just after end World war 2); when my mother saw her again a year later the girl said "do you remember the reading you did for me - told My mum about the change of job to airline, but was not accepted (after an interview, for some reason or other); the girl had found out that a airplane from the company she would have joined had she been accepted had crashed, with no survivors (The date of the crash being some six months after Mum's reading.
Happenstance, coincidence ????? Of course it proves absolutely nothing to those whose minds are closed to this sort of subject; to those with open minds - well, I guess it's a very coincidental 'could be'; but that girl was convinced.............:eek:

Draka

Wonder Woman
That is exactly why I always give a little speech before I do a reading for someone. I tell them that the reading will only tell them what will happen if they stay on the same path they are on now. If they don't like the outcome of the reading then they must change something in their lives that is reflected in the beginning of the reading...the main part of the cross itself. Then the expanding cards' outcome will change, but only then.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
So ? Does anyone here use the blank card in their readings ? No it isn't commonly used , but I had heard that some did use it . { was it the Golden Dawn ? or perhaps another , I'm not sure } . It stands for the Spiritual , the Void .

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
kreeden said:
So ? Does anyone here use the blank card in their readings ? No it isn't commonly used , but I had heard that some did use it . { was it the Golden Dawn ? or perhaps another , I'm not sure } . It stands for the Spiritual , the Void .
I have to confess to never having heard of a blank card; I have two Tarot packs (one of which is the Ryder/Waite pack), but I have never heard of the blank car. The Ryder /Waite pack is the 'standard' - what pack do you know of that uses a blank card ?:)

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Most decks come with a blanked face card Michel . Even playing cards . I'm not sure why ?

Prima

I have to work up to using Tarot cards. I don't trust myself much, and I think that trusting yourself is vital to being able to do a reading. So maybe one day I'll be able to try. My friend Kate, however, does excellent readings, because she's very good at helping the...readee? :biglaugh:...apply it to their life and situation. She did a reading for me, and it was wonderfully accurate :) I'm wary of the neon-sign tarot readers, though. Some are great, but I'd probably pick a crappy one.

I've never heard of the blank card being used. But then, I haven't seen that many decks.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
I can't recall where I heard that about the blank card . I believe that it's use is rare though . I was just wondering if anyone else had heard of it ? :)

Prima , I think that your friend would be a great reader . :) I believe that is the " trick " to reading the cards , allowing the " readee " to actually do the reading , and helping them along . I never did a lot of readings for others , but the best one I ever did made no sense to me at all . The cards just didn't seem to " fit together " , and I wanted to redo them . But the lady I was reading for would not have that . She just sat there nodding her head and telling me to go on . It turned out the she had a close relative die and the family was fighting over the will . Everything that the cards were saying were true to her , although they made no sense to me at all .

Prima

I believe that is the " trick " to reading the cards , allowing the " readee " to actually do the reading , and helping them along
I agree, Kreeden - that's a great way to put it.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Prima said:
I have to work up to using Tarot cards. I don't trust myself much, and I think that trusting yourself is vital to being able to do a reading. So maybe one day I'll be able to try. My friend Kate, however, does excellent readings, because she's very good at helping the...readee? :biglaugh:...apply it to their life and situation. She did a reading for me, and it was wonderfully accurate :) I'm wary of the neon-sign tarot readers, though. Some are great, but I'd probably pick a crappy one.

I've never heard of the blank card being used. But then, I haven't seen that many decks.
Hey Prima,
You say you don't trust yourself much; RELAX. Try a reading for yourself; use the cards to meditate; you'll soon learn to trust your own intuition, and that part of you that is in touch with your 'Higher self'. Go on, try it!:)