• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tarot Cards

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
My Grandmother is from Romania, and her house used to host Gypsies. My Great Grandma had some sort of power in that field, and it carried down through my grandma.
My Grandma reads cards. About a month ago, i was on the verge of deep depression, and she called me and said, "Ali, what are you sad about?" We hadn't talked in about 2 months at that time.

Random long story (because im sure you all care):

When my grandmother Elena left Romania during WWII, she was on the last possible flight out before the Russians gained control of the whole country (and would not allowe anyone else to leave legally.) Elena was a war-bride, and so she was allowed to fly because of privilages. She flew from Bucharest to Ireland. When she was in Ireland, she had to change planes. Unfortunatley for her, the plane she was supposed to board was full. She called her mother frantically crying saying she was going to be trapped there. Her mother was silent for a few moments then said, "Elena, get off the phone, they're trying to call you."
She did, and the airline did call her to say that one of the passengers had just died of a heart attack and one seat on the plane was open.
.... is that not amazing?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I just got the Thoth deck a couple weeks ago. That deck is definitly more advanced than my other decks. I'll be studing that one for a long time before I do grasp any understanding of it.

Bangbang

gnosis_777 said:
My Grandmother is from Romania, and her house used to host Gypsies. My Great Grandma had some sort of power in that field, and it carried down through my grandma.
My Grandma reads cards. About a month ago, i was on the verge of deep depression, and she called me and said, "Ali, what are you sad about?" We hadn't talked in about 2 months at that time.

Random long story (because im sure you all care):

When my grandmother Elena left Romania during WWII, she was on the last possible flight out before the Russians gained control of the whole country (and would not allowe anyone else to leave legally.) Elena was a war-bride, and so she was allowed to fly because of privilages. She flew from Bucharest to Ireland. When she was in Ireland, she had to change planes. Unfortunatley for her, the plane she was supposed to board was full. She called her mother frantically crying saying she was going to be trapped there. Her mother was silent for a few moments then said, "Elena, get off the phone, they're trying to call you."
She did, and the airline did call her to say that one of the passengers had just died of a heart attack and one seat on the plane was open.
.... is that not amazing?
Cool story but are you saying that this was a miracle? or her mother had paranormal powers? Would this make her a god? How many still got trapped? I find that there is nothing supernatural or even mystical when the cards are used properly.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Bangbang said:
Cool story but are you saying that this was a miracle? or her mother had paranormal powers? Would this make her a god? How many still got trapped? I find that there is nothing supernatural or even mystical when the cards are used properly.

im not sure if there even was a point to be honest... im just random with stories... i know that she did read cards. but i do think my great grandma had a very spiritual connection. No, she was no god. Many people were left trapped in bad situations. She didnt use cards when she was on the phone. But she did use cards in general....

Lemon

The shy lurker
I like to use the tarot, I used to have two decks but I gave one away to my sister before she went to college. It didn't have an exact name I just know it as egyptian based, so I gave it to her since she's into anything Egyptian, and I couldn't understand any of the symbols on it.
The deck I use now is a cheap beginner's one, but I like it. I like to give myself weekly readings that sort of highlight the important things I should learn from current week. Though I've only been doing this for the past two weeks, I find that they have been exact with their meanings.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Lemon said:
I like to use the tarot, I used to have two decks but I gave one away to my sister before she went to college. It didn't have an exact name I just know it as egyptian based, so I gave it to her since she's into anything Egyptian, and I couldn't understand any of the symbols on it.
The deck I use now is a cheap beginner's one, but I like it. I like to give myself weekly readings that sort of highlight the important things I should learn from current week. Though I've only been doing this for the past two weeks, I find that they have been exact with their meanings.
I have two decks; rather extraordinarily, one of my sons brought me a pack for a surprise. When I saw a psychic friend of mine, I just mentioned the tarot; he said "You should always get someone to buy you your first pack; the first pack needs to be gifted. You can then buy the deck of your choice".

Strange coincidence. To be truthful, the deck my son brought me a modern pack, with a few extra cards added - 3 extra major arcana cards, which I never felt comfortable with. Now I use the Ryder Waite; but I only ever use the Tarot as a meditation tool.

Solon

Something very Random. I was walking down our road into town when I spied a card laid upon the footpath. So, curious, I picked it up, and when I turned it over, it was the Eight of Cups, kept it for quite awhile, pondering this chance find. Not sure what it meant in reality, if anything.

Dark_Waltz

I didn't listen about the gift of Tarot cards otherwise some people would be waiting forever its not like buying a newspaper or a bunch of flowers :)
I use the gilded,
i bought the well worn path and i can't connect with it :(

Bishka

Veteran Member
I do think that is amazing Gnostic. I think things like that can happen, some people just are in touch with the spiritual realm more then others.

Cynic

michel said:
I have two decks; rather extraordinarily, one of my sons brought me a pack for a surprise. When I saw a psychic friend of mine, I just mentioned the tarot; he said "You should always get someone to buy you your first pack; the first pack needs to be gifted. You can then buy the deck of your choice".

Strange coincidence. To be truthful, the deck my son brought me a modern pack, with a few extra cards added - 3 extra major arcana cards, which I never felt comfortable with. Now I use the Ryder Waite; but I only ever use the Tarot as a meditation tool.
I aways buy my decks, which people say that it taints them, but I've never had problems by buying my own decks. I get really good results using the celtic cross spread. I use the Lovers Tarot, btw:

t-love3.jpg

Master Vigil said:
Do you believe this?

No.

Master Vigil said:
And have you used them?

Oh yes. I have 35 decks.

Master Vigil said:
If so what technique do you use, and how successful have you been?

Intuitively for the most part. But if someone is just learning, I'll start them on a story spread. In which case you lay out your cards and read them like you would the panels of a comic strip. Each picture tells part of a larger story.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Master Vigil said:
The legend is that Tarot Cards were first used by the gypsies, and were first recorded to be used by the italian gypsies. Do you believe this? And have you used them? If so what technique do you use, and how successful have you been?

The Tarot and the Kabbalah

I have the unicorn deck. I do not read cards for people, but I use them for self reflection. Since everything around us is a reflection of ourselves, tarot is like a magnifying mirror for me. It allows me to see some details about myself that are not apparent to me, until I'm made aware of it.

I don't know if I'm making any sense. But the point is that tarot was originally used as a teaching tool of the tree of life. Symbols used to help the high priests remember the TRUTH. The cards are not magic, the people who use them are not magic. They are merely symbols, used to help us remember.

I found a deck for Buttons* Gummy Bear Tarot (these are cute, ya gotta see)
43.jpg

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
robtex said:
wow raven ...is there a tint button for you post! wow blinded...so what is a good weblink that covers tarot for people like me who have complete ignorance on the subject?
I like this site: aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/

They have a large collection to browse.

dannisayz

I've always drawn the same 3 cards somewhere in the 10 card spread, in the same order: Death, the Tower, and the Devil.

It never means anything good either.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
The history of the cards is not really something we know all the facts about. I've read books that say the Egyptians invented the tarot.

I've been trying to learn to read the cards, but unfortunatly I have a very short attention span. I figure I'll get it eventually. I practice on people I know, and they don't seem to mind my referencing a book.

However, I don't believe there is anything supernatural about the cards or the process of reading. It is the associations of the cards and the randomness at which they are drawn that helps give them meaning. But, to me that could work for anything. You can find that type of meaning in anything. I do feel that the cards are very helpful to me, since they seem to put forth ideas I hadn't thought of, or clearly reveal things about myself I haven't been ready to admit.

dannisayz

MaddLlama said:
The history of the cards is not really something we know all the facts about. I've read books that say the Egyptians invented the tarot.

I've been trying to learn to read the cards, but unfortunatly I have a very short attention span. I figure I'll get it eventually. I practice on people I know, and they don't seem to mind my referencing a book.

However, I don't believe there is anything supernatural about the cards or the process of reading. It is the associations of the cards and the randomness at which they are drawn that helps give them meaning. But, to me that could work for anything. You can find that type of meaning in anything. I do feel that the cards are very helpful to me, since they seem to put forth ideas I hadn't thought of, or clearly reveal things about myself I haven't been ready to admit.

Agreed. There are signs in anything, you just need to be able to see them. Sometimes cards are the easiest way to point things out to people. I just never understood when people would read to me. I mean, I understand what the reading meant, but I don't understand why it continues to come out the same, especially since it seems my life has finally gotten out of the rut it was in.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Cynic said:
I aways buy my decks, which people say that it taints them, but I've never had problems by buying my own decks.
Don't pay no mind to those people. Those are the ones who attribute the cards with magic.

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
Well I guess I have a couple things to add:

It is like when I go to a book store and have no idea what it is I wish or need to read, something jumps out at me. Take what stands out by your own insights, that is all you have to offer others. There is no problem IMO to buy your own Tarot Cards.

I think Featherinhair gave me the best advise: You should never pay to have a reading! --- It is not about what you have, but what you can offer others by your own insights and talents.

Feathersinhair was kind enough to do a reading for me once. :clap She did not charge me either ;) . The best thing you can do is offer what insight you have into another's life, even if you have no background into that person.

I bought the THOTH deck, it is the one that jumped out at me and the only one (thus far) that makes any sence to me. A gift is always taking with grace and offered back two-fold.

I am still learning the finer arts of Tarot, but I have found what makes sence to my "understanding" to be able to offer to others. I use the Thoth Deck and a 14 card spread.

Khaine

not sure about any weblink but im fairly new to using tarot myself and i've found to be accurate everytime. the set i bought was designed specifically for people new to the tarot, it has a full deck and a book with information on all the cards as well as a number of different spreads. its actually called "beginners guide to tarot" by juliet sharman-burke.