• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Switchin' Teams

King Phenomenon

Has any atheist converted to believing in God through discussion with believers and vice versa? If so, that's cool. If not why bother conversing? If so, did they convert because of discussions or would they have anyway? We'll probably never know the answer to my third question. Oh well. I'd guess they would've.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Has any atheist converted to believing in God through discussion with believers and vice versa? If so, that's cool. If not why bother conversing? If so, did they convert because of discussions or would they have anyway? We'll probably never know the answer to my third question. Oh well. I'd guess they would've.

I can't figure out why.

I can only guess that maybe they were agnostic rather than atheist and I suppose for some people who maybe were atheist all their life, Christianity and other forms of theism kind of offers a fun and generally welcoming distraction to explore. I mean who doesn't like the allure of stained glass and rose colored glasses?

It really is a great form of escape when you consider that reality itself can be a bit tough to digest and accept sometimes.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I was the kind of atheist who did not think that religion was worth paying any attention to. This God-stuff was just an utter waste of time. And questions about the purpose of life were a waste of time.

Discussion did not change my mind. Personal experiences did. That the universe was meaningful awoke in me. That there was something beyond my understanding became real to me.

King Phenomenon

I was the kind of atheist who did not think that religion was worth paying any attention to. This God-stuff was just an utter waste of time. And questions about the purpose of life were a waste of time.

Discussion did not change my mind. Personal experiences did. That the universe was meaningful awoke in me. That there was something beyond my understanding became real to me.
that's cool and atheists who never changed or that will never change probably see the universe as being meaningful and beyond their understanding as well

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

I was going to say that personal experiences are the most likely for someone to change their minds - either way - and I have probably had some that might have done so but it seems the force is just too strong within me - to resist - either that or my mind just cannot accept the evidence that others appear to accept. :oops:

Samael_Khan

Goosebender

I was converted through discussions with believers. But I was ignorant then nonetheless. I deconverted because I understood the religion and the books better and grew in maturity.

I wouldn't have converted if not for discussion because those discussions sparked my ongoing interest in religion because before then I did not understand the depth of religion. But I am not prone to being religious so I wouldn't have converted if not for the discussions.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Has any atheist converted to believing in God through discussion with believers and vice versa? If so, that's cool. If not why bother conversing?
Do you believe that folks should engage other people In conversation, who disagree with them on one topic or another, solely for the purpose of trying to convert those people to their point of view?

Are you capable of accepting differences of opinion without constantly trying to change another person’s stance?

exchemist

Veteran Member
Here is a list of notable people who converted to Christianity from "nontheism", which I presume includes both atheism and agnosticism:
List of converts to Christianity from nontheism - Wikipedia

I would think almost any conversion will involve discussion with believers, since normally with converts there is some process of instruction before baptism. Whether it is the discussion that leads to the conversion, or the curiosity and study that the person probably makes on their own before approaching a church, is another thing. It is hard to know.

PureX

Veteran Member
Trying to convince other people of anything is a fool's errand. People will, and should, choose to believe as they see fit. Even if they are dangerously wrong. This is a fundamental life lesson.

Discussion, however, and the sharing of our respective beliefs with each other is both good and necessary in helping us all to decide what we will believe to be true, or untrue. So by all means, discuss, and share, and even argue when appropriate. But stop trying to convince anyone of anything. Share what you have to share, and then move on. And let other people make up their own minds. They're going to do it anyway, regardless.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Not God, but gods, sure. I was basically atheist for most of my childhood, though I find it more accurate to refer to that decade or so of my life as "angstheism." You know, the "atheists" who throw a temper tantrum against the religion and theism of their upbringing and then conclude that all theism and all religion is stupid in one fell swoop? Yeah, I was that guy at one time. Urgh.

I grew out of it when I bothered to learn about theism and religion on my own time. Nobody converted me, and I don't really regard the process as a conversion. I was ignorant and had been doing things religious all my life but didn't label them that because "ew, religion is stupid" mentality. Same thing with the notion of gods.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
People have tried to convert me.
I've yet to encounter a convincing argument.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Here is a list of notable people who converted to Christianity from "nontheism", which I presume includes both atheism and agnosticism:
List of converts to Christianity from nontheism - Wikipedia

I would think almost any conversion will involve discussion with believers, since normally with converts there is some process of instruction before baptism. Whether it is the discussion that leads to the conversion, or the curiosity and study that the person probably makes on their own before approaching a church, is another thing. It is hard to know.

I don't know why, but many of the names who appear on such lists (the ones I know about) really doesn't inspire me to rethink my particular position - and those appearing on the following lists tend to reassure me more:

List of agnostics - Wikipedia
List of converts to nontheism - Wikipedia
List of atheists (miscellaneous) - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
I've never come about a story where a True Atheistwas reasoned into believing in theism. Some were just ignorant atheists, others had reasons beyond belief to join a religion, some had personal experiences, some haven't really become theists but deists. But as of now, no-one I know of has been reasoned out of atheism.

(True Atheist- someone who has reviewed the philosophical reasoning for theism and atheism and decided that atheism makes more sense.
Ignorant atheist or default atheist - someone who is ignorant of the reasons behind theism and atheism, like any child is, and hasn't yet had the chance of making an informed decision.)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've never come about a story where a True Atheistwas reasoned into believing in theism. Some were just ignorant atheists, others had reasons beyond belief to join a religion, some had personal experiences, some haven't really become theists but deists. But as of now, no-one I know of has been reasoned out of atheism.

(True Atheist- someone who has reviewed the philosophical reasoning for theism and atheism and decided that atheism makes more sense.
Ignorant atheist or default atheist - someone who is ignorant of the reasons behind theism and atheism, like any child is, and hasn't yet had the chance of making an informed decision.)
An ignorant atheist is a true atheist.
I was born knowing & believing nothing.
The more I learned, the more I remained the same.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I don't know why, but many of the names who appear on such lists (the ones I know about) really doesn't inspire me to rethink my particular position - and those appearing on the following lists tend to reassure me more:

List of agnostics - Wikipedia
List of converts to nontheism - Wikipedia
List of atheists (miscellaneous) - Wikipedia

OK so far we have lists of converts to Christianity, and converts to nontheism, and now you have added two lists of agnostics and of atheists.

If I wanted to advocate Christianity I suppose I could add the one list that has not been mentioned: the list of Christians. But no doubt then people would complain it wasn't fair. ;)

But this is all off-topic anyway.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
OK so far we have lists of converts to Christianity, and converts to nontheism, and now you have added two lists of agnostics and of atheists.

If I wanted to advocate Christianity I suppose I could add the one list that has not been mentioned: the list of Christians. But no doubt then people would complain it wasn't fair. ;)

But this is all off-topic anyway.

Yeah, I didn't mean it to look like - hey, look at my mates - but just checking out the lists, I know which ones I would want as mates. :D As never been converted either way - I was too young to know I had some default religion - I'm not bothered. All are free to choose or believe what they will.

Heyo

Veteran Member
An ignorant atheist is a true atheist.
I was born knowing & believing nothing.
The more I learned, the more I remained the same.
This is about "swichin' teams". I don't consider ignorant atheists to be on "team atheist". They have never joined, they can't switch teams.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This is about "swichin' teams". I don't consider ignorant atheists to be on "team atheist". They have never joined, they can't switch teams.
It's a granfalloon.
(Translation: false karass)
So I'm on the "team", & would be able to switch if my brain allowed it.
But it says no. Gotta do what the brain says. It's in charge.