• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Study: Science and Religion Really are Enemies...

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Where there's a big and significant difference is with their basic methodology, namely that science is based on objectively-derived evidence whereas religion is based on hearsay minus such evidence. To put it another way, religious beliefs are mostly "unfalsifiable", unlike science.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I think that attempting to lump all religion into a single category for analysis is highly questionable, and therefore so are the results of any such study that does so. What they should be looking at is certain aspects specific to certain religions that would be the underlying cause for resistance. Not all religions or expressions of religiosity contain these elements.

outhouse

Atheistically
Science and Religion Really are Enemies...

They are.

YEC and muslims all cannot deal with history or science, they attack education and credible knowledge.

In every debate forum I have been in, "most" every theist does not use any sort of rational response to findings using no logic or reason, because their minds have already came to the conclusion before they even know the evidence or question.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Quintessence has a point. "Religion" is wildly varied. It is true that it often becomes inimical to science in the USA, though.

Although IMO that is more of an indication of poor doctrine and practice than of anything inherent to religion as such.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I think this might be true for narrow religious thinkers who are statistically less educated. I think it would be the opposite for broad religious thinkers.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think that attempting to lump all religion into a single category for analysis is highly questionable, and therefore so are the results of any such study that does so. What they should be looking at is certain aspects specific to certain religions that would be the underlying cause for resistance. Not all religions or expressions of religiosity contain these elements.

Well, I think their suggestion that religion and science are most likely to be inimical to each other when religious leaders have control of public policy is worth looking at.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The article's title is over the top for such inconclusive data.
Science & religion are more like bickering spouses than "enemies".
I'd love an opportunity to bash religion, but this ain't doing it.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
How are you with stats? I'm a novice. Is the study a reliable one?

My older brother is a statistician, but I'm like you -- just a novice. However, I think, from what the article, said, that the statistical work was sound enough it's not being questioned by anyone, but that there might be some questions with such things as whether the number of patents per capita indicate what the authors of the study think they might indicate.

outhouse

Atheistically
You cannot compare how religious people think compared to science.

Theist FACTUALLY try and fit evidence into a conclusion that will not change no matter how credible the knowledge. And im embarrassed to be in the same species as this insane methodology.

Scientist investigate the evidence to determine the best possible conclusion.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You cannot compare how religious people think compared to science.
Theist FACTUALLY try and fit evidence into a conclusion that will not change no matter how credible the knowledge. And im embarrassed to be in the same species as this insane methodology.
Scientist investigate the evidence to determine the best possible conclusion.
The methods of knowing & investigating stuff are quite different,
but ideally the areas of "stuff" are different. When they tackle
the same fields, that is where mischief lies.

Maldini

Religion and religious mentality is almost the complete opposite of science and scientific thinking, so I'm surprised theses two being enemies has not blown in bigger proportions.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, I think their suggestion that religion and science are most likely to be inimical to each other when religious leaders have control of public policy is worth looking at.

It would depend on which religion's leaders were being represented, but given the demographics of the United States, I don't disagree that this would be the overall flavor.

A thought that occurred to me is how difficult it is be to disentangle the factor of religions from the quality of science education in our public schools. In other words, the underlying factor may not so much be religions, but a matter of education and exposure. Anecdotally, I had a very good public schooling experience, and regardless what religion I ended up with, I couldn't possibly have been opposed to science when I was encouraged to be interested in it from a young age.

Shad

Veteran Member
Religion and the beliefs within each vary to much for this analysis to be of any use. Time and place also has a major effect on this "conflict". Take an analysis in Europe and the results, I believe, will reduce this conflict. Taken in the backward of America and you will see an increase in this conflict. Also one must consider any individuals views versus a group view. I know several people which could be identified within a group holding beliefs outside of the norms of the group.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
This is not surprising. When you feel as if you have all the right answers there is no motivation to explore. Certain religions like Hinduism or anything pagan would not be harmed by this obviously considering the liberalness of these religions which are just loose theisms

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
The article's title is over the top for such inconclusive data.
Science & religion are more like bickering spouses than "enemies".
I'd love an opportunity to bash religion, but this ain't doing it.

Yes and where is the supporting data. I would like to see the relevant numbers charts without data can be very misleading.