• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strangest religions

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
What is the strangest religion you ever came across/ learned about?

A few years ago the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster managed to be legally recognized in New Zealand, to the point that Pastafarian representatives are authorized to officiate weddings. I understand liking pasta, but that's a a bit too much.:rolleyes:
You do know that it's satirical, right?

ajay0

Here is Planck talking about religious beliefs, he calls them a fantasy:

"Do you think that life and consciousness are the outcome of the random action of natural laws, or do you think that they form part of some great scheme?”

“I believe that life is part of some greater life that we cannot understand. But this is not a scientific belief. It is a belief that must be justified on quite other than scientific grounds. Your question can only be answered by a fantasy.”

“A fantasy?”

“A fantasy is a way of representing things for oneself in other than scientific terms. The beliefs that are expressed in a fantasy are not amenable to scientific tests. They are beliefs of a different order from beliefs that rest on scientific evidence. Your question is not one that can be decided by bringing forward scientific evidence. Nevertheless it is a question concerning which beliefs may be held.”

“How are such beliefs to be justified?”

“By their influence on character. Such beliefs cannot be sincerely held without profoundly influencing character. A man’s character can be the outcome of such beliefs. And the resultant character is the justification or condemnation of the beliefs. This is the only way in which such beliefs can be judged. The scientific criteria of true and false cannot be applied to them. Moral and scientific beliefs are justified on quite different grounds.”

Max Planck here states explicitly that he believes in such a so-called 'fantasy', though it is not a scientific belief at present.

As usual, you have misread and misinterpreted what he stated here so as to fit your own reactionary conditioned viewpoint.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

A few years ago the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster managed to be legally recognized in New Zealand, to the point that Pastafarian representatives are authorized to officiate weddings. I understand liking pasta, but that's a a bit too much.:rolleyes:

Kopimism. A recognized religion in Sweden based on...... Wait for it ..... Almost there........

File sharing.

Sweden's file-sharing 'religion'

JJ50

They accept theistic evolution as a possible view and don't water down subjects like Philosophy. Which is honestly a bit more than can be said for every last Protestant denomination.

The RCC covered up the activities of paedophile priests and tried to prevent catholics using birth control and having abortions.

JJ50

Which is one of the worst things about Catholicism, yes.
Other religions have covered up child sexual abuse too but not to the same extent as the RCC. I don't know of another religion which tries to forbid birth control, though. However, I suspect many catholics ignore that these days, as having large families isn't what most people want or can afford.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Other religions have covered up child sexual abuse too but not to the same extent as the RCC. I don't know of another religion which tries to forbid birth control, though. However, I suspect many catholics ignore that these days, as having large families isn't what most people want or can afford.
If it's successfully covered up, how can there be any stats on it?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It is coming out into the open now, but I suspect there is still a lot more to be revealed.
I suspect the same. Where there's smoke there's fire. Some institutions have built in rules or policies that severely limit what police can do. In some countries police are overwhelmed with other stuff, and some kid claiming her pastor molested her just isn't a priority.
One good thing, though, is the ones that have made the news have increased the awareness of it all around, ending some of the naivete.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

Honestly, I think they are all pretty much "equally strange" in their own way.

But if I had to pick one... it would have to be scientology.
The stuff these people believe....... wow!

You realise that it's not a real religion, but really just satire, right?

sooda

Veteran Member
The RCC covered up the activities of paedophile priests and tried to prevent catholics using birth control and having abortions.

Well they aren't the only institution that does that.

Consider the celebrated football coach in Pennsylvania .. Then there are the infrequent scandals re: Hasidic Jews and Protestant clergy ..

Any closed system seems to increase the risk.

ajay0

Where does he say that? Please show me

Here in your own post where you quoted him....

"Do you think that life and consciousness are the outcome of the random action of natural laws, or do you think that they form part of some great scheme?”

I believe that life is part of some greater life that we cannot understand. But this is not a scientific belief. It is a belief that must be justified on quite other than scientific grounds. Your question can only be answered by a fantasy.” ~ Planck