1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Strangest religions

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Vee, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Vee

Vee Active Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,220
    Religion:
    Jehovah's Witness
    What is the strangest religion you ever came across/ learned about?

A few years ago the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster managed to be legally recognized in New Zealand, to the point that Pastafarian representatives are authorized to officiate weddings. I understand liking pasta, but that's a a bit too much.:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. Skwim

Skwim Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +9,695
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Scientology. Mainly because it's so adept at emptying the bank accounts of its followers yet still keeps them wanting to give more.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. AT-AT

AT-AT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,336
    Religion:
    God
    Don't give me any ideas.

But going back to the subject matter.... Seventh Day Adventism? *Runs away*

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Rival

Rival RF NKVD

Ratings:
    +12,096
    Religion:
    בת נח
    I find most of Christianity strange but Calvinism particularly.

5. Vee

Vee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,220
    Religion:
    Jehovah's Witness
    Why? Sorry, but I'm not familiar with that church.

6. AT-AT

AT-AT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,336
    Religion:
    God
    They believe that Ellen White, an 1800s woman, was a prophet, they're quite often Creationists who don't eat pork, and they believe the Catholic Church will end the world.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. The Reverend Bob

The Reverend Bob Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +824
    Religion:
    God Killer
    New Age and Eastern religions that delve into quantum woo and other mystical claptrap are particularly strange to me. They get so deep into language games and BS it is like trying to understand a 8 year old explaining postmodern pre-Lady Gaga Marxist-Freudian Dogon Film Theory to you.

8. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,249
    Religion:
    Christian
    Wow...….

9. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,249
    Religion:
    Christian
    I know a few Mormons and like them, but this is sort of off the wall.

The Planet Kolob | Top 10 Craziest Mormon Beliefs
    www.top10craziestmormonbeliefs.com/a/93
    Dec 15, 2011 · The planet Kolob and the song about it. Kolob is a star or planet described in Mormon scripture.

Reference to Kolob is found in the Book of Abraham, a work published by Latter Day Saint (LDS) prophet Joseph Smith, Jr. According to this work, Kolob is the heavenly body nearest to the throne or residence of God.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. ajay0

ajay0 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +980
    Indian-Arabic mathematics and zero was also very strange when they came to the west around a millenium back.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Fool

Fool ALL in all
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,368
    Religion:
    Light Impressed with Love

love is a stranger in an open car
    It's savage and it's cruel
    And it shines like destruction
    Comes in like the flood
    And it seems like religion
    It's noble and it's brutal
    It distorts and deranges
    And it wrenches you up
    And you're left like a zombie

it fills the lowly valleys and humbles the greatest of mountains.

12. The Reverend Bob

Ratings:
    +824
    Religion:
    God Killer
    And what does this have to do with New Agers erroneously utilizing quantum physics to justify their woo?

13. Quintessence

Quintessence Tale Weaver

Ratings:
    +12,347
    Religion:
    Druidry
    There isn't a specific religion that I find strange as much as there are specific concepts associated with multiple religions that I find strange.

I find monotheism to be strange on the whole, for example, regardless of what religion we are talking about. My brain is just not wired for monotheism, so while I can understand it from a conceptual standpoint, I have a hard time comprehending how monotheism can actually work. Especially because I look at how monotheists behave and they do not behave as if they worship only one god.

• Like Like x 4
  14. The Reverend Bob

Ratings:
    +824
    Religion:
    God Killer
    Because of human nature, monotheists acknowledge one god but worship many idols

• Like Like x 1
  15. Vinayaka

Vinayaka devotee
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,743
    Religion:
    Saivite Hindu
    One person's strange is another person's normal, sane idea. Usually 'strange' means something that is furthest away from what a person is used to ... unfamiliarity.

That said. like Quintessence, I find several concepts strange, like the messiah concept, sin, right/wrong thinking, and more. But then I'm personally unfamiliar with those concepts.

16. ajay0

ajay0 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +980
    You also mentioned eastern religions.

The point is to abstain from making a judgement on things you do not understand.

Much of the correlations between Vedanta and quantum physics came from western quantum physicists themselves...

Vedanta teaches that consciousness is singular, all happenings are played out in one universal consciousness and there is no multiplicity of selves. ~ Erwin Schrodinger

There is no kind of framework within which we can find consciousness in the plural; this is simply something we construct because of the temporal plurality of individuals, but it is a false construction... The only solution to this conflict insofar as any is available to us at all lies in the ancient wisdom of the Upanishad.~ Erwin Schrodinger

After these conversations with Tagore ( on Vedanta) some of the ideas that had seemed so crazy suddenly made much more sense. That was a great help for me. ~ Warren Heisenburg

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. crossfire

crossfire Antinomian feminist heretic freak ☿
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,221
    Religion:
    ☿ Mercuræn Buddhist & Ordained Pastafarian
    I am an ordained Pastafarian Minister with the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. (This is my political religion. Here's a link the the Eight Condiments, also known as the Eight I'd-Really-Rather-You-Didn'ts.) I'm also a Mahayana Buddhist and a Mercuræn Luciferian.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. The Reverend Bob

Ratings:
    +824
    Religion:
    God Killer
    Well those correlations were rightfully refuted and dismissed by western physicists and scientists such as Einstein, Planck and Sagan.

19. ajay0

ajay0 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +980
    Where have Einstein, Planck and Sagan refuted these !

In fact, I remember reading of Einstein complimenting the eastern religion of Buddhism...

The religion of the future will be a cosmic religion. It should transcend personal God and avoid dogma and theology. Covering both the natural and the spiritual, it should be based on a religious sense arising from the experience of all things natural and spiritual as a meaningful unity. Buddhism answers this description. If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism. ~ Albert Einstein

I find even your Carl Sagan complimenting the eastern Hindu religion. Thanx for introducing him...

“The Hindu religion is the only one of the world’s great faiths dedicated to the idea that the Cosmos itself undergoes an immense, indeed an infinite, number of deaths and rebirths.

It is the only religion in which the time scales correspond to those of modern scientific cosmology. Its cycles run from our ordinary day and night to a day and night of Brahma, 8.64 billion years long. Longer than the age of the Earth or the Sun and about half the time since the Big Bang.”~ Carl Sagan

#19 ajay0, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. The Reverend Bob

Ratings:
    +824
    Religion:
    God Killer
    Let us continue that quote: "“These myths are tributes to human audacity. The chief difference between them and our modern scientific myth of the Big Bang is that science is self-questioning, and that we can perform experiments and observations to test our ideas. But those other creation stories are worthy of our deep respect.”

He isn't endorsing or saying that the Hindu myth is true, he is saying quite the opposite. Context counts.