• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strangest religions

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
What is the strangest religion you ever came across/ learned about?

Not even sure what it's called. Not even sure it's a religion. Not even sure it's an ideology. But the people that think we live in a computer simulation. Its not that I think its that ridiculous of an idea. It's just that if we did live in a simulation, there would be a lot more errors. Anyone experienced with A.I. programming knows what I'm talking about.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

A few years ago the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster managed to be legally recognized in New Zealand, to the point that Pastafarian representatives are authorized to officiate weddings. I understand liking pasta, but that's a a bit too much.:rolleyes:

Christianity is probably the strangest religion I've ever been involved in.

It combines the books of and older religion with some wacky God rules like,
When men fight with one another, and the wife of the one draws near to rescue her husband from the hand of him who is beating him, and puts out her hand and seizes him by the private parts, then you shall cut off her hand. Deuteronomy 25:11-12

Tries to pretend it's fulfilled it's Messiah prophecy who was killed as a Jewish heretic. Completely changes the narrative. so all of the laws of the earlier religion can be completely ignored, and changes it to a God-man belief system where they have to kill their God in order to be save by the God they just killed.

Has to be the strangest religion ever created.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
Not even sure what it's called. Not even sure it's a religion. Not even sure it's an ideology. But the people that think we live in a computer simulation. Its not that I think its that ridiculous of an idea. It's just that if we did live in a simulation, there would be a lot more errors. Anyone experienced with A.I. programming knows what I'm talking about.
Information theory isn't that strange it is just some people want to take it and mix it up with their strange Matrix like conspiracy theories and cosmic woo about the universe being an illusion and that we are all one consciousness

Last edited:

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

A few years ago the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster managed to be legally recognized in New Zealand, to the point that Pastafarian representatives are authorized to officiate weddings. I understand liking pasta, but that's a a bit too much.:rolleyes:
As noted by another, what is familiar to one is strange to another. It’s all relative to our worldview we become accustomed to and assume to be ‘normal’. I’m accustomed to inclusiveness and so any worldviews that claims for themselves the exclusive truth appears strange. Then again, that’s just my perspective that will no doubt appear strange to others.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I find most of Christianity strange but Calvinism particularly.
Almost all Pagan-Christianity people are weird, as I understand, that they want to see Jesus dead on the Cross, and are not happy to learn that Jesus did not die on the Cross, though there are many clues for that very much in the Gospels itself. What strangest people they are, aren't they please?
Anybody, please

Regards

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I suppose you believe that when Stephen Hawkings said that once we discover a "theory of everything" we will be "looking into the mind of God" that Hawkings was talking about some sort of "Universal Consciousness"
Never heard that one ... but yes that might be quite "spot on" how I would see it. Although I am still learning, so I might of course see it different later

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
Never heard that one ... but yes that might be quite "spot on" how I would see it. Although I am still learning, so I might of course see it different later
Believe me, Hawking's refuted the existence of God or any "Universal Consciousness", he only used the term "God" in a figurative sense

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

Maybe the universe uses ECC RAM and double-precision floats.

Milton Platt

It's all tongue-in-cheek. The dogma is making fun of the dogma of actual religions (their heaven has a beer volcano)

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Strangest religions or no-religions

Excuse me for a little change in the topic of the thread!
Not even very sure what it should be called. They say it's not a religion, yet they defend or ....very religiously yet it's not even a proper ideology or no-ideology and their position or no-position, yet they hold theirs' is a default position.
I need not name it. Just guess it, please.

Regards

Spartan

Christianity is probably the strangest religion I've ever been involved in.

Tries to pretend it's fulfilled it's Messiah prophecy who was killed as a Jewish heretic.

<chuckle>

The Messianic prophecies noted in the Gospels that were fulfilled were legitimate. If you have one you think is bogus then cite the scripture and lay out your argument. Also, the remainder of the Messianic prophecies are expected to be fulfilled at the Second Coming.

Completely changes the narrative. so all of the laws of the earlier religion can be completely ignored...

Where did you dig up these follies? For one thing, God's MORAL LAWS have not changed under Christianity. Murder, adultery, thievery, idolatry, sodomy, etc., etc., are still sins in the New Testament.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I know a few Mormons and like them, but this is sort of off the wall.

The Planet Kolob | Top 10 Craziest Mormon Beliefs
www.top10craziestmormonbeliefs.com/a/93
Dec 15, 2011 · The planet Kolob and the song about it. Kolob is a star or planet described in Mormon scripture.

Reference to Kolob is found in the Book of Abraham, a work published by Latter Day Saint (LDS) prophet Joseph Smith, Jr. According to this work, Kolob is the heavenly body nearest to the throne or residence of God.
It's only really crazy if you don't believe Heaven is an actual place.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Believe me, Hawking's refuted the existence of God or any "Universal Consciousness", he only used the term "God" in a figurative sense
Yes that's what I heard about Hawking, so I was surprised reading your previous quote from Hawking

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Nah, the FSM Church is just freeform. There is hardly anything unusual about it. And its legal recognition is very much useful.

As for what I find to be the strangest religion... boy, that is a hard one to tackle. Honestly, I might as well toss some dice to decide.