• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strangest religions

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
Here in your own post where you quoted him....

"Do you think that life and consciousness are the outcome of the random action of natural laws, or do you think that they form part of some great scheme?”

I believe that life is part of some greater life that we cannot understand. But this is not a scientific belief. It is a belief that must be justified on quite other than scientific grounds. Your question can only be answered by a fantasy.” ~ Planck

He is saying he believes life has meaning and sometimes it is necessary for a person to believe in the symbolic to build character and have meaning in their lives, he is not talking about some sort of Universal Consciousness. He did not believe like you do that God could be explained by quanta and sub-atomic particles. If religion believes that God can be reduced and explained by examining goose livers, sub-atomic particles or semantics then you have a pretty small god.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

<chuckle>

The Messianic prophecies noted in the Gospels that were fulfilled were legitimate. If you have one you think is bogus then cite the scripture and lay out your argument. Also, the remainder of the Messianic prophecies are expected to be fulfilled at the Second Coming.

Jesus Did Not Fulfill the Messianic Prophecies
What is the Messiah supposed to accomplish? One of the central themes of biblical prophecy is the promise of a future age of perfection characterized by universal peace and recognition of God. (Isaiah 2:1-4, 32:15-18, 60:15-18; Zephaniah 3:9; Hosea 2:20-22; Amos 9:13-15; Micah 4:1-4; Zechariah 8:23, 14:9; Jeremiah 31:33-34)

Specifically, the Bible says he will:
Build the Third Temple (Ezekiel 37:26-28).
Gather all Jews back to the Land of Israel (Isaiah 43:5-6).
Usher in an era of world peace, and end all hatred, oppression, suffering and disease. As it says: "Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall man learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4)
Spread universal knowledge of the God of Israel, which will unite humanity as one. As it says: "God will be King over all the world – on that day, God will be One and His Name will be One" (Zechariah 14:9).
If an individual fails to fulfill even one of these conditions, then he cannot be the Messiah.

Because no one has ever fulfilled the Bible's description of this future King, Jews still await the coming of the Messiah. All past Messianic claimants, including Jesus of Nazareth, Bar Cochba and Shabbtai Tzvi have been rejected.

Christians counter that Jesus will fulfill these in the Second Coming. Jewish sources show that the Messiah will fulfill the prophecies outright; in the Bible no concept of a second coming exists.
Why Jews Don't Believe In Jesus

Where did you dig up these follies? For one thing, God's MORAL LAWS have not changed under Christianity. Murder, adultery, thievery, idolatry, sodomy, etc., etc., are still sins in the New Testament.

Of the 613 commandments, how many are Christian required to follow?

sooda

Veteran Member

What is the Messiah supposed to accomplish? One of the central themes of biblical prophecy is the promise of a future age of perfection characterized by universal peace and recognition of God. (Isaiah 2:1-4, 32:15-18, 60:15-18; Zephaniah 3:9; Hosea 2:20-22; Amos 9:13-15; Micah 4:1-4; Zechariah 8:23, 14:9; Jeremiah 31:33-34)

Usher in an era of world peace, and end all hatred, oppression, suffering and disease. As it says: "Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall man learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4)
Spread universal knowledge of the God of Israel, which will unite humanity as one. As it says: "God will be King over all the world – on that day, God will be One and His Name will be One" (Zechariah 14:9).
If an individual fails to fulfill even one of these conditions, then he cannot be the Messiah.

Because no one has ever fulfilled the Bible's description of this future King, Jews still await the coming of the Messiah. All past Messianic claimants, including Jesus of Nazareth, Bar Cochba and Shabbtai Tzvi have been rejected.

Christians counter that Jesus will fulfill these in the Second Coming. Jewish sources show that the Messiah will fulfill the prophecies outright; in the Bible no concept of a second coming exists.

Of the 613 commandments, how many are Christian required to follow?

Ezekiel and Isaiah are writing about the end of the Babylonian exile.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
What is the strangest religion you ever came across/ learned about?

A few years ago the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster managed to be legally recognized in New Zealand, to the point that Pastafarian representatives are authorized to officiate weddings. I understand liking pasta, but that's a a bit too much.:rolleyes:

Difficult question. They are all fairly strange.
However, I admit the newest ones have to raise the strangeness bar, in order to gain some attention.

I vote for Kopimism. Recently official recognized as religion by the Swedish state.

Ciao

- viole

Vee

Premium Member
Not even sure what it's called. Not even sure it's a religion. Not even sure it's an ideology. But the people that think we live in a computer simulation. Its not that I think its that ridiculous of an idea. It's just that if we did live in a simulation, there would be a lot more errors. Anyone experienced with A.I. programming knows what I'm talking about.

I've heard that one from a few people, especially after the Matrix movies came out.

Vee

Premium Member
Difficult question. They are all fairly strange.
However, I admit the newest ones have to raise the strangeness bar, in order to gain some attention.

I vote for Kopimism. Recently official recognized as religion by the Swedish state.

Ciao

- viole

What is Kopimism?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
On Kopimism, it seems bogus. Calling themselves a religion is disingenuous. It doesn't seem like a real religion.

Isn't it just a group of people who want to pirate media on sites like "PirateBay"? And then the religion was created to side-step legal prohibition in favor of religious freedom?

With all due respect, that's not strange at all.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
On Kopimism, it seems bogus. Calling themselves a religion is disingenuous. It doesn't seem like a real religion.

Isn't it just a group of people who want to pirate media on sites like "PirateBay"? And then the religion was created to side-step legal prohibition in favor of religious freedom?

With all due respect, that's not strange at all.

Oh no, they are dead serious. It is not like the FSM or anything of the sort. Believe me.

Ciao

- viole

ajay0

He is saying he believes life has meaning and sometimes it is necessary for a person to believe in the symbolic to build character and have meaning in their lives, he is not talking about some sort of Universal Consciousness.

He is only referring to other philosophical frameworks, like Werner Heisenburg and Schrodinger had with Vedanta, which provided them and him with a holistic vision of how things might be.

He did make statements that correlated with Vedantic sayings similar to Schrodinger and Heisenburg when he stated thus...

I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness. — Max Planck

He did not believe like you do that God could be explained by quanta and sub-atomic particles. If religion believes that God can be reduced and explained by examining goose livers, sub-atomic particles or semantics then you have a pretty small god.

I have never stated anything of that sort. It appears that you have been misled by pseudoscholars on Advaita Vedanta. You have my sympathies over here..

Samael_Khan

Goosebender

A few years ago the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster managed to be legally recognized in New Zealand, to the point that Pastafarian representatives are authorized to officiate weddings. I understand liking pasta, but that's a a bit too much.:rolleyes:

The Hebrew Israelites. They believe that the current Jews in Israel are not actual Jews but that "Black" people are the actual Jews. It is like a whole conspiracy theory. I cannot fathom how they believe that no matter how hard I try. And I can even understand why the Aztecs sacrificed humans for the Gods.

I don't understand how they get their views from the Bible.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Christianity is pretty weird.

Funny thing is that I find Christianity pretty not weird. But that must clearly be because of social conditioning cos when thinking about it, a man dying for sins is a pretty weird concept. Maybe it is because i understand the theory behind it. I dunno.

Audie

Veteran Member
Funny thing is that I find Christianity pretty not weird. But that must clearly be because of social conditioning cos when thinking about it, a man dying for sins is a pretty weird concept. Maybe it is because i understand the theory behind it. I dunno.

There is theory behind it?

But yeah, as for what is weird, I grew up around
temples with all sorts of dragons, which look odd
to outsiders.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
I don't mean to go on a tangent in the wrong thread, but I have heard one opinion that 'illiterate' in this context meant that Muhammad wasn't literate in the religious language, i.e, he couldn't read Hebrew &c. and whichever other languages were being used for religious literature at that time. This is also why the Qur'an repeatedly says 'A Qur'an in Arabic' and makes much of this fact. This is the same as Latin being used in Churches and Church Slavonic &c., so that the masses were essentially illiterate when it came to understanding religious literature and in-fact most literature at that time as it was in a 'holy language' not the vernacular.

That's definitely an interesting hypothesis!

Spartan

Show me where in the Bible it says that the Messiah would fulfill all Messianic prophecies outright? For instance, Daniel chapter 9, speaking of the Messiah, says he will be "cut off" (killed) and then "war will continue until the end.

Also there only two places I know of where the time of the Messiah's coming is foretold: Genesis 49:10 and Daniel chapter 9, and they both point to the 1st century.

Until Shiloh Comes

The Unexpected King: Palm Sunday Surprise: – Chuck Missler – Koinonia House

RedhorseWoman

Not familiar with too many religions, however, I can unequivocally state after having been a member for three decades before realizing exactly how strange the religion I was brought up in actually was--the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Believing that "this old wicked system of things" would soon come to an end with Jehovah and his angelic forces slaughtering 99.9% of mankind and refusing to actually "live" the life they have been blessed with because everything is on hold until they skip into the "New System" "any day now" is pretty strange.

And then, of course, there are a basketful of additional strange beliefs to be considered.