• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Split a piece of wood and I am there, Lift a stone and you will find me

outhouse

Atheistically
The truth is that Thomas is dated to 125AD

That's not in any way, any kind of certainty. Some date it early, some date it a little later. I think your guess is fairly fine and only disagree with the certainty.

Both Osiris and Mithra had fathers who were Sun Gods.

Here your reaching.

Mithras may have depended solely on Christian text.

Osiris has no connection to Christianity what so ever, don't even go there. I know all he players personally.

The material most plagiarized was the OT text that already had these concepts.

The other plagiarized idea was the Emperor who was "son of god" first and the unknown NT authors used this as their SOURCE for "son of god" not any other religious concept.

74x12

Really?

How would Hellenist far removed from the mans life who never heard a word he said, know anything about him?
How would you know anything about the writers of those books? You're assuming they're Greek and did not know Jesus. It's just your opinion and really of no weight. Sorry.

Mitch Parsons

I believe the passage implicates that God is everywhere and in everything. You might want to check out pantheism and panentheism to get a better take on the subject.

Pantheism and panantheism are often used derisively. Most Christians claim to attribute God with omnipresence. But they don’t mean it. They cut God short of being able to exist in everything. The basic substance and energy of all creation. They claim God occupies only the souls of humankind...calling the rest heretical pantheism. The Sikhs have this one right. The non-canonical Gospel of Thomas has it right too.

sooda

Veteran Member
many books never reached what we call the bible, after the books were put together, after much arguing, the rest were burnt, but some were hidden, and the Nag Hamadi books were some of those that were hidden.

The Nag Hammadi were in Coptic and were stored just south of Luxor.

sooda

Veteran Member
Really?

How would Hellenist far removed from the mans life who never heard a word he said, know anything about him?

Most of Jesus ministry was in the Greek speaking, prosperous area of Galilee and the Decapolis. One of the issues of the times was that many Jews had become Hellenized.

Mitch Parsons

The Nag Hammadi were in Coptic and were stored just south of Luxor.
You are exactly right. But what we know about the canon largely existed before the First Council of Nicaea. That was held largely to determine/destroy writings deemed to be Arian in origin. Though there were still Gnostics around, that movement was almost extinct. A few very brave people populated Nag Hamadi with rich content.

Mitch Parsons

The Gnostic writings do present a problem. But they may not be wrong, although they do contradict certain canonical Christian teachings. But Christian teaching in the Bible is self-contradictory.

Christians for millennia have been performing mental gymnastics in an attempt to explain this away.

It won’t happen.

sooda

Veteran Member
You are exactly right. But what we know about the canon largely existed before the First Council of Nicaea. That was held largely to determine/destroy writings deemed to be Arian in origin. Though there were still Gnostics around, that movement was almost extinct. A few very brave people populated Nag Hamadi with rich content.

Egypt fits, doesn't it?

Arian teachings were first attributed to Arius (c. AD 256–336), a Christian presbyter in Alexandria of Egypt.

The teachings of Arius and his supporters were opposed to the theological views held by Homoousian Christians, regarding the nature of the Trinity and the nature of Christ. The Arian concept of Christ is based on the belief that the Son of God did not always exist but was begotten within time by God the Father.

Arianism - Wikipedia

ManSinha

Pantheism and panantheism are often used derisively. Most Christians claim to attribute God with omnipresence. But they don’t mean it. They cut God short of being able to exist in everything. The basic substance and energy of all creation. They claim God occupies only the souls of humankind...calling the rest heretical pantheism. The Sikhs have this one right. The non-canonical Gospel of Thomas has it right too.

upload_2019-4-5_21-45-41.png

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
That passage is from the Gospel of Thomas, if I'm not mistaken, and it's not a literal passage about magic carvings in trees.
Right.

1. It is not in the Christian canon, since they acknowledge it was not written by Thomas (it is actually a Gnostic text -- a competitor with early Christianity).

2. The author is simply stating in a highly poetic way that God is omnipresent and that we can find him anywhere we look for him.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
The saying of Jesus that was found in Nag Hamadi in 1945.

The Kingdom of God is inside you and all around you
Not in a mansion of wood and stone
Split a piece of wood and I am there
Lift a stone and you will find me.

I have come to the conclusion that this may mean the carving of a tree as in split or cleave the wood as the saying goes. Nearby to where I live there is an unusual symbol resembling a 'U' and a '4' which could be letters of an alphabet over where someone has scribed or carved there name into a tree. The symbol looks unusual as it does not look as if it has been carved by human. Maybe there is no meaning in this but I just want to make sure or if anyone has any idea that it could have meaning. I live in Scotland in the UK and where the tree is located in 2 miles south to where I live. I have pictures of the symbol like carving. If anyone has any idea that it has any meaning whatsoever, plz post a reply. Thank you.

Were you not aware that God is omnipresent, meaning there is nowhere where God (or if you like the spirit of God) is not. That is what it means, the Kingdom of God is inside you and all around you. You are an expression of God, and the body is the 'temple of God', do you not know this?

What does it mean in the Gospel of Thomas that 'If you look in the sky then the birds of the sky will precede you' and 'when you come to know yourselves then you will be known'? And that 'there is light within a person of light'?

Audie

Veteran Member
How would you know anything about the writers of those books? You're assuming they're Greek and did not know Jesus. It's just your opinion and really of no weight. Sorry.

You will be cool with it when we point out that
your opinions about science are (really) of no
value whatever?