• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Split a piece of wood and I am there, Lift a stone and you will find me

sandford tree 097.jpg Picture........

jonathan180iq

What's wrong with seeing them as a "U" and a "4"?

I mean, why do you insist that there must be something more to the symbols?
I go hiking quite a bit, and it looks to my like any number of randomly carved doodles that people carve into trees or wooden handrails.
The very linear nature of wood grain makes it difficult to create circular letters and shapes when carving, so people usually revert to making block letters, similar to what you see on this tree.

So, again, what's your confusion? It just looks like someone started carving something and they were either lazy about and did a half-job or they quit mid thought and moved on with their lives.

Thank you for the reply. It just seemed unusual like it was so far ingrained in the tree as if it wasnt done by anyone as you can see. But yeah, i get your point in that it is more difficult to carve circular letters, and so its much more easier to make them block as you said. Another thing is........................I know I may not have revealed this before but this tree is not far from where I live in Strathaven, Scotland and there is names on the tree, initials and such, dating back to 1953 and 2000 when my friends and I had carved our names in 15 years ago. I know this might seem incredibly off the wall but for the last ten years I have suffered from depression and I kinda have visions of a thunder an extremely terrible thunder storm which happened in July 3rd 2001 when some of my friends camped out. To cut a long story short, my friends made it out unscathed after being at least 2 miles from home, whilst I and another friend who were not present at said location, were in the garage at my friends looking out at it and it lightning struck the house when my friend was sittin on an electrical appliance and was given a bad shock and ran and collapsed in the house and later had to be taken to hospital. To end this because Im not gonna talk about it much further but I often go back to the campsite where the tree with the names is located and 'U' and the '4' like symbol is well.........................over where I carved my name vertically. Like maybe somethings were meant to happen in life........................

jonathan180iq

Thank you for the reply. It just seemed unusual like it was so far ingrained in the tree as if it wasnt done by anyone as you can see. But yeah, i get your point in that it is more difficult to carve circular letters, and so its much more easier to make them block as you said. Another thing is........................I know I may not have revealed this before but this tree is not far from where I live in Strathaven, Scotland and there is names on the tree, initials and such, dating back to 1953 and 2000 when my friends and I had carved our names in 15 years ago. I know this might seem incredibly off the wall but for the last ten years I have suffered from depression and I kinda have visions of a thunder an extremely terrible thunder storm which happened in July 3rd 2001 when some of my friends camped out. To cut a long story short, my friends made it out unscathed after being at least 2 miles from home, whilst I and another friend who were not present at said location, were in the garage at my friends looking out at it and it lightning struck the house when my friend was sittin on an electrical appliance and was given a bad shock and ran and collapsed in the house and later had to be taken to hospital. To end this because Im not gonna talk about it much further but I often go back to the campsite where the tree with the names is located and 'U' and the '4' like symbol is well.........................over where I carved my name vertically. Like maybe somethings were meant to happen in life........................

I think we can find meaning and symbolism in pretty much anything we want. There's no real limit to what things mean to us personally.
But, since you're asking, and from an independent point of view, it just looks like someone carved some initials into a tree, the same as everyone else in that area since 1953...
If you came across something similar in the woods at some other location, you wouldn't attach as much weight to it and you could see it for what it really is.

Thank you, I appreciate your point greatly. Maybe your right in saying that you could heap meaning on anything I told one of my friends just last week on facebook instant message that i spoke in the last message and he said the same thing. But back then, I kept thinking when I get out depression, what I might be exposed to............................

jonathan180iq

Thank you, I appreciate your point greatly. Maybe your right in saying that you could heap meaning on anything I told one of my friends just last week on facebook instant message that i spoke in the last message and he said the same thing. But back then, I kept thinking when I get out depression, what I might be exposed to............................
Worry first about the depression. The other stuff will fall into place once that's not clouding your every thought.

Unification

The saying of Jesus that was found in Nag Hamadi in 1945.

The Kingdom of God is inside you and all around you
Not in a mansion of wood and stone
Split a piece of wood and I am there
Lift a stone and you will find me.

I have come to the conclusion that this may mean the carving of a tree as in split or cleave the wood as the saying goes. Nearby to where I live there is an unusual symbol resembling a 'U' and a '4' which could be letters of an alphabet over where someone has scribed or carved there name into a tree. The symbol looks unusual as it does not look as if it has been carved by human. Maybe there is no meaning in this but I just want to make sure or if anyone has any idea that it could have meaning. I live in Scotland in the UK and where the tree is located in 2 miles south to where I live. I have pictures of the symbol like carving. If anyone has any idea that it has any meaning whatsoever, plz post a reply. Thank you.

Jesus Christ: DNA

The saying of Jesus that was found in Nag Hamadi in 1945.

The Kingdom of God is inside you and all around you
Not in a mansion of wood and stone
Split a piece of wood and I am there
Lift a stone and you will find me.

I have come to the conclusion that this may mean the carving of a tree as in split or cleave the wood as the saying goes. Nearby to where I live there is an unusual symbol resembling a 'U' and a '4' which could be letters of an alphabet over where someone has scribed or carved there name into a tree. The symbol looks unusual as it does not look as if it has been carved by human. Maybe there is no meaning in this but I just want to make sure or if anyone has any idea that it could have meaning. I live in Scotland in the UK and where the tree is located in 2 miles south to where I live. I have pictures of the symbol like carving. If anyone has any idea that it has any meaning whatsoever, plz post a reply. Thank you.

The saying of Jesus means--that He is the creator of everything. Don't forget Jesus says, I am the All. The All came from me. And through me all things are attained. To split a piece of wood or to lift a stone to find Jesus means that He, the creator, is present everywhere and in everything and in everybody. The saying is to explain his Omnipresence. Jesus says, all things are hidden in the Father's light. It is the living one that is behind all things. Jesus says that He is the living one (or rather the son of the living one). All things were made through Jesus; as he says I am the all, the all came from him. This is the relationship that the Father shares with the Son--that the Father made all things through him. Now if the Spirit came to be because of the body then it is the Spirit who is the revealer of both Father and Son. The Spirit of Truth reveals everything that the Father has made through the Son. Where there are three Gods they are divine. Where there are one or two I exist with him. You can think of either the Father as God or both the Father and Son as God, as the Father has made all things through Jesus, of whom all things have come from. If the Spirit comes to be because of the body, then the Spirit of Truth is a human being; but as the Spirit of Truth comes to be within our bodies, we become the children of the light.

scottrobb

It's from the gospel of Thomas but it's not a quote from Jesus. The Thomas gospel is a late gnostic gospel made hundreds of years after Jesus. The only place you'll find The real Jesus is in the New Testament

Wasn't this covered under "Thou shalt not lie"? ;-)

Yet, here you are speaking with authority as if it were true you had actually done a shred of research to prove it. The actual fact is that It's at least as old as the rest of the books in the New Testement canon and younger than the source of many other that were included. The truth is that Thomas is dated to 125AD and being the product of a monastic order, was copied from older versions which were copied from versions older still, ad nauseum.

Had you actually researched, you'd discover the field of theology which conclusively proves that there are multiple authors of the book of Moses, that Matthew and Luke are from the same source and that it's more than a little likely that NONE of the named Books were likely to have been authored by their namesakes. Yet somehow, it's the divine word of God... Do yourself a favor and research the narcissistic megalomaniac Roman Emporer named Constantine and the "Council of Nicea". They chose the books to be included in the New Testament ("Canon")
Look at the politics of 325 AD and tell me that you believe that God guided their hand in the selection of what was to be included in the New Testament or if perhaps, it was man. This was about power, politics and control.

The Catholic Church taught that a priest had to intercede on your behalf. A priest had to act as an intermediary and forgive your sins. When I was a kid, they gave mass in LATIN (a dead language and in America) because it was not about people. Gnosticism (one of DOZENS of Christian variants in plat at that time) taught that God is right here in you and all around you (which he surely is) which puts power directly into the hands of men, rather than the church. You can't control people like that! Also do not forget that the Catholic Church was the world government in all but name for at least a dozen centuries after Nicea and think about motive.

Another factor to consider is that to the keep peace, aspects of Mithracism, another quite popular religion of the day, were incorporated. In a STUNNING coincidence and exactly like the Egyptian followers of Osiris, their worshipee was born at the same time as Jesus. Had a virgin mother. Was killed and resurrected. That doesn't raise an eyebrow in your mind? Okay then, how about this: Both Osiris and Mithra had fathers who were Sun Gods. The new church changed the Sabbath to SUNday. It is actually Saturday which is STILL the seventh day on our modern calendar.

Just to refresh your memory, here's the Fourth Commandment:

"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates. For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy."

So, you submit that the hand of God guided the council of Nicea in the selection of books BUT, didn't intervene as they moved the Day we're suppose to honor God to a day of other Gods (whom he quite clearly instructed us NOT to worship)? Then, in a act of arrogance not many can match, the Catholic Church, when the built the Basilica, named the Plaza outside Saint Peter's the "Plaza of the Sun" and stuck an Egyptian obelisk in the middle of it!

There are literally dozens upon dozens of facts that show the Bible to be man made and not protected by God. Given the concept of "Free Will", it doesn't make sense. In the Bible, God is repeatedly shown to let man do his thing and punish later. Even today, he allows hucksters to use his name and bilk old people out of their money -BUT- he guided the hand of those at the Council of Nicea? Sorry, that was a bit verbose but your sheer arrogance and dismissivness while obviously not doing ANY of the homework smacks of hubris at best and reflects the typical "Christianity superiority Complex" endemic to the Fundamentalist sect of this religion, at worst.

Last edited: