• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smoker's Rights vs. Everyone Else's Rights

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Seems to me your complaint is that you can smell the smoke.
Does it matter where on his property he is smoking it if you can smell it?

I mean, if he smoked it in his house and you smelled smoke does the fact he is in his house somehow negate your complaining about smelling it?

Good question. If he was inside his own house, I doubt the smoke would travel as much as if he's standing in the lawn alongside of my house. :shrug:

Me Myself

Back to my username
Why should he have to?
It's his right to smoke in his own house.

Personally I think this shouldn´t be the case.

So what if it is his house? I can make a doomsday machine in my own house but when it killz you where you stand without having the physical machine leaving my house I still violated your rights! MWAHAHAHAHA! Okay that was a little over do

but the point is the smoke left his house.

Onkara

They changed the law here in Januray with a complete smoking ban in bars. My friend said he overheard someone was complaining about the smokers in the street and a smoker replied "Go in a bar then!"

:)

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Good question. If he was inside his own house, I doubt the smoke would travel as much as if he's standing in the lawn alongside of my house. :shrug:
I agree it is a good question.
I disagree that you answered it.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Did you read the OP? He's NOT smoking in his own house.
The builder was smoking a cigarette on the homeowner's lawn.
The edited part: The neighbor smokes his cigar outside. IMO, he has more rights because at least he's on HIS OWN property.
Oh, I missed the part where you said he was on your lawn. You have every right to ask him to leave. You have no right to tell him to stop smoking.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Personally I think this shouldn´t be the case.

So what if it is his house? I can make a doomsday machine in my own house but when it killz you where you stand without having the physical machine leaving my house I still violated your rights! MWAHAHAHAHA! Okay that was a little over do

but the point is the smoke left his house.
Ah, well two can play that game...

So what if it is her house?

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree it is a good question.
I disagree that you answered it.

He can go to the front of his house where it won't come directly into my windows. :rolleyes:

Anyway, his wife asks him to go outside to smoke because she doesn't want that smell in her house. Why should I have it in mine?

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
HAHAHAH!!!! I can see it now.... just like senior communities!!!!

"'Sign said 'Non smokers, need not apply'"

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Why should he have to?
It's his right to smoke in his own house.

Your right to swing your arms ends at the tip of my nose. Your right to smoke ends when your smoke hits my nostrils.

What you do entirely on your own property is your own business, but if your smoke is wafting into someone else's house, then what you're doing isn't entirely on your own property.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Your right to swing your arms ends at the tip of my nose. Your right to smoke ends when your smoke hits my nostrils.

What you do entirely on your own property is your own business, but if your smoke is wafting into someone else's house, then what you're doing isn't entirely on your own property.
Remeber the scantily clad daughters thread? Seems to me that when it's something YOU disapprove of, you side with the neighbor....

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm a pipe smoker and whenever I'm anywhere near other people I go out of my way to make sure the wind is blowing away from them (or doorways or windows).

I do this partly out of consideration, and partly because that way when someone walks up to me and tells me my smoke is bothering them, I can point to the fact that my smoke isn't getting anywhere near them, that it is in fact drifting off in the other direction away from them, and that my smoke isn't bothering them so much as my smoking is.

At that point I might make some nasty comment about their perfume or cologne. :D

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Strong scents on public transit, ftl :(

It can make a wintery-heat roasting-ride, H***

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Scenario: I open my house windows because it's a beautiful day, and instead of getting a nice, fresh breeze, the construction worker building the house next door lights up and now my house smells like an ashtray.

I'm all for personal choice, but where do his rights to smoke end and my husbands, children's, and my rights to fresh air in my own smoke-free home begin?

Edit: I forgot to mention that my neighbor across the street smokes cigars and we get that smell in our house too. So what do you think?
Close your window or move. Also never fart in public where it can effect others.

While I can see the benefits in banning smoking in public places some activities done in private need to be left alone even if offensive to others.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Scenario: I open my house windows because it's a beautiful day, and instead of getting a nice, fresh breeze, the construction worker building the house next door lights up and now my house smells like an ashtray.

I'm all for personal choice, but where do his rights to smoke end and my husbands, children's, and my rights to fresh air in my own smoke-free home begin?

Edit: I forgot to mention that my neighbor across the street smokes cigars and we get that smell in our house too. So what do you think?

Even as a smoker I can empathize with this, Ssainhu. They should have special housing complexes for cigar smokers, like right next to the city dump.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Remeber the scantily clad daughters thread? Seems to me that when it's something YOU disapprove of, you side with the neighbor....

Can you point me to that thread? It sounds interesting (honestly, not just because of the "scantily-clad" part).

As far as smoke goes, it's tough. Ideally, your neighbor shouldn't be able to do anything that affects you on your own property. Hence the reason you can complain about the volume of noise coming from a neighbor, and the police will do something about it.

However, it is kind of tricky when you're talking about smoking on your own property. I can see both sides equally. The part that makes it even trickier to me is other things like grilling.