• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slavery was a choice

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Kanye West appeared on TMZ headquarters and said the following:

"When you hear about slavery for 400 years...400 years? Sounds like choice."

He then went on to say:

"You were there for 400 years and it's for all of y'all. It's like we're mentally imprisoned."

Van on TMZ confronted him by saying the following:

"While you are making music and being an artist and living the life that you've earned by being a genius, the rest of us in society have to deal with these threats to our lives," Lathan said. "We have to deal with the marginalization that's come from the 400 years of slavery that you said for our people was a choice."

Lathan added, "Frankly, I'm disappointed, I'm appalled, and brother, I am unbelievably hurt by the fact that you have morphed into something to me, that's not real."

Kanye cleans up his remarks by saying the following after a barrage of social media backlash:

"[T]o make myself clear. Of course I know that slaves did not get shackled and put on a boat by free will. My point is for us to have stayed in that position even though the numbers were on our side means that we were mentally enslaved."

Kanye went on to add:

"[T]he reason why I brought up the 400 years point is because we can't be mentally imprisoned for another 400 years. We need free thought now. Even the statement was an example of free thought. It was just an idea. [O]nce again I am being attacked for presenting new ideas."

See:Kanye West just said 400 years of slavery was a choice - CNN

My comment:

Kanye's opinion at least contextually comes from a position of celebrity privilege who is not subject to the extent that some of us in the inner city are, to the marginalization we experience daily. Just the other day I used a payphone (my cell died and I needed to make an emergency call) to make a phone call this being at night, had a spot light on me and asked me if I was on parole or probation. Of course this leads me to say neither and inform the cop I was making an emergency call. Judging by their behavior they were looking for someone so they're trying to identify me. Now, I didn't have to answer their question and could have went on my way but this is but a small example some of us black non-celebrities go through that Kanye does not understand. The problem with Kanye's remarks is the context he used which made him sound like a fool.

The fact that Kanye couldn't acknowledge the impact of subsequent systemic racism in society even as a black man, is the prime example of someone who (he himself coming from the hood as Van on TMZ pointed out) has disassociated himself with the common black experience. Sure, there is mental slavery, and yes people must begin to alleviate themselves from the mental complex of victimhood, however perpetual systemic racism which still exists in society makes the issue a cyclical effect which Kanye doesn't understand. Of course living in a house of luxury away from the dregs of society and not having any compassion will make you think like this....And doing pain pills which Kanye admitted to.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
When I read his comment I have to admit I had a genuine WTF moment. As noted already, the man is not the brightest crayon in the pack. I'm just confused why dullards feel a need to demonstrate their tone deaf stupidity. Sorry, I just don't get it.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Kanye West did something stupid? Water is also wet.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Why should I care what some rapper thinks about slavery?

Well we can say why should I care about what a country singer says, or what some composer says, or what someone who plays a banjo says. Kanye is a celebrity and quite frankly you don't have to care. Kanye's remarks relates to MY ancestral heritage and it is offensive to me. That is like someone black saying (and this person exists on youtube) saying slavery wasn't that bad and because of slavery we are in a better position. The problem with Kanye's comments is symptomatic to the mental instability he has. Kanye is a celebrity and has influence on the youth, so while you don't care, I do, because kids that look up to him may see his views as gospel.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
When I read his comment I have to admit I had a genuine WTF moment. As noted already, the man is not the brightest crayon in the pack. I'm just confused why dullards feel a need to demonstrate their tone deaf stupidity. Sorry, I just don't get it.

You know, Kanye has mental issues I mean serious mental issues and I think a lot has to do with his mother dying. I'm not surprised at Kanye's stupidity but this is overboard dumb at its highest and he has marginalized himself from a lot of artists.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
You know, Kanye has mental issues I mean serious mental issues and I think a lot has to do with his mother dying. I'm not surprised at Kanye's stupidity but this is overboard dumb at its highest and he has marginalized himself from a lot of artists.
Personally, this angry old white guy has not heard anything as preposterous in relation to the subject of slavery.

suncowiam

Keep in mind that Kanye has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder.

I don't agree with what was said but this could be coming from one of his swings...

Just saying... We can spare some sympathy for anyone with mental disorders. If he comes back later and apologizes then I see the issue as mute.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Kanye West appeared on TMZ headquarters and said the following:

My comment:

Kanye's opinion at least contextually comes from a position of celebrity privilege who is not subject to the extent that some of us in the inner city are, to the marginalization we experience daily. Just the other day I used a payphone (my cell died and I needed to make an emergency call) to make a phone call this being at night, had a spot light on me and asked me if I was on parole or probation. Of course this leads me to say neither and inform the cop I was making an emergency call. Judging by their behavior they were looking for someone so they're trying to identify me. Now, I didn't have to answer their question and could have went on my way but this is but a small example some of us black non-celebrities go through that Kanye does not understand. The problem with Kanye's remarks is the context he used which made him sound like a fool.

The fact that Kanye couldn't acknowledge the impact of subsequent systemic racism in society even as a black man, is the prime example of someone who (he himself coming from the hood as Van on TMZ pointed out) has disassociated himself with the common black experience. Sure, there is mental slavery, and yes people must begin to alleviate themselves from the mental complex of victimhood, however perpetual systemic racism which still exists in society makes the issue a cyclical effect which Kanye doesn't understand. Of course living in a house of luxury away from the dregs of society and not having any compassion will make you think like this....And doing pain pills which Kanye admitted to.

Kanyes slavery statement is just wrong. The problem is that systemic racism can only be resolved through cultural appropriation. Instead of celebrating our ethnic differences we need to celebrate each others ethnic differences. Music is a good example of what I am saying, there are groups that cross ethnicity and gender and then there are groups that define ethnicity and gender. As long as we have groups that define a limited section we will always have racism. We must have all groups be inclusive and most people do not want this. They have a particular reason for wanting a specific type of music.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Well we can say why should I care about what a country singer says, or what some composer says, or what someone who plays a banjo says. Kanye is a celebrity and quite frankly you don't have to care.
Of course I don't. I was just wondering why anyone would.

Kanye's remarks relates to MY ancestral heritage and it is offensive to me. That is like someone black saying (and this person exists on youtube) saying slavery wasn't that bad and because of slavery we are in a better position. The problem with Kanye's comments is symptomatic to the mental instability he has
If that's the case then why not treat his remark as such. Consider the source and don't give it any more credit than it deserves: The unthinking uttering of a mentally unstable person.

Kanye is a celebrity and has influence on the youth, so while you don't care, I do, because kids that look up to him may see his views as gospel.
Now that I can see as a decent reason! Young kids are going to ignore what everyone else says about slavery, and instead take what Kanye says as gospel, so to speak.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
My great-grandparents were immigrants and had nothing to do with the slavery and bigotry.

My grandma and grandpa voted for Barack Obama.

I think there is a general consensus at this forum that the statements in the op are idiotic. It would surprise me to find anyone who takes such statements as gospel truth.

Many people of European descent laid down their lives to end slavery. Also, they were not all for white privilege, and many of them dedicated their lives to putting an end to such Madness.

I'm frankly more concerned about what's going on in the 21st century, there are countries where women are not allowed to drive or get an education. There are still theocracies that jam religion down people's throats, and oppress people of other faiths.

There are still laws in the 21st century that imprison or put people to death for blasphemy or being critical of the violent lifestyle, pedophilia, polygamy, intolerance, of the "Sacred prophet".

people accused of stealing are still getting their hands cut off, and adulterers are still taken out and stone to death and homosexuals executed.

I'm horrified by some of the crimes against humanity that used to be allowed in America.

However, the people who are suffering oppression and discrimination in our current world, have my attention and sympathies and prayers far more.

Kapalika

Premium Member
I could of sworn I heard this argument elegantly refuted some months ago in a youtube video, sadly I can't find it again. Anyways my point is, isn't this really old news?

EDIT: Oh, apparently it wasn't. Well, I know I've heard the same exact argument before somewhere..

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
My great-grandparents were immigrants and had nothing to do with the slavery and bigotry.
Mine too.
Bunch a dang Irish Catholics, almost as bad as the ******s.
Luckily for us, the USA didn't have an immigration policy back then. If you get here, and don't have tuberculosis, you're in. Of course, it was only white people who wanted to come here.
Tom

Well we can say why should I care about what a country singer says, or what some composer says, or what someone who plays a banjo says. Kanye is a celebrity and quite frankly you don't have to care. Kanye's remarks relates to MY ancestral heritage and it is offensive to me. That is like someone black saying (and this person exists on youtube) saying slavery wasn't that bad and because of slavery we are in a better position. The problem with Kanye's comments is symptomatic to the mental instability he has. Kanye is a celebrity and has influence on the youth, so while you don't care, I do, because kids that look up to him may see his views as gospel.
You ARE in a better position because of slavery. Unless you'd rather be swatting the fly's from your face in a mud hut in Kenya?