• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should we be disrespectful towards the Bible?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I’m curious… why do you talk about Christianity in relationship with the TaNaKh when the New Testament invalidated it? Christianity isn’t based on the Old Testament.

If this is true for your version of Christianity, then your denomination is in the minority.

For instance, in denominations that draw a distinction between mortal and venial sins (i.e. the denominations that represent most Christians), the thing that's used to determine whether a sin is "mortal" is the Ten Commandments.

Even among Protestant denominations, you just have to see the number of Ten Commandment monoments that they try to put up at city halls and courthouses to recognize that the Old Testament is still very much a thing in Christianity, generally.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Which denomination of Christianity uses a Bible version that contains no OT?

On second thought, it doesn't matter. If the OT wasn't at least a part of the foundation of Christianity, there would be Bibles in publication that contained only the NT, no? As far as I'm aware, there is no denomination of Christianity that uses such a Bible.

Actually, you can buy just the NT. Gideons give out just the NT Bibles.

However, we use it to see where the NT says “That it may be fulfilled” and “According to what was written”.

We find NT Jesus in words found in OT.

But does that invalidate the fact that the New Will and Testament invalidates the Old Will and Testament? And that Jesus said “he that is without sin cast the first stone” and the one who had not sinned didn’t cast a stone and said “neither do I condemn you”?

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Which denomination of Christianity uses a Bible version that contains no OT?

The Gideon Bible that I got when I was 8 or 9 has only the New Testament, Psalms & Proverbs.

On second thought, it doesn't matter. If the OT wasn't at least a part of the foundation of Christianity, there would be Bibles in publication that contained only the NT, no? As far as I'm aware, there is no denomination of Christianity that uses such a Bible.

Right. The NT is based on the OT. It's also got lots of statements about not getting rid of the "old law," which most Christians take as referring to the Tanakh.

At work this week, I was telling a fellow dishwasher I'm not a Christian because the God of the Bible is "crazy psycho" in my opinion. This guy caught me off guard by getting a bit offended and defensive. This chap is the most disrespectful *Staff Edit* I have ever met, a real sore to work with because he is so negative. But he came to the Bible's defense, saying he "would never disrespect the Bible". Said his family was Christian/Catholic. I said "that's cool" and apologized if I offended him and we went on with our work.

That was just a habitual, taught, reaction. You are taught to "respect" someone's religion. And I was a Christian for the longest time, I expected that people don't clown on me for my Christianity.

But I thought about it later that day, how I apologized and stuff. *Staff Edit* And people believe it literally came from God Himself.

I am a gay man with a boyfriend. I have to keep the most important part of my life a secret from my family and the public in general because of the BIBLE. *Staff Edit* Leviticus 20:13 literally says I should be STONED to DEATH!

That's just one teensy eensy aspect of the Bible that is messed up. And people think we should "respect" it?

I have become determined to be unabashed in my distaste for Christianity and the Bible in my conversations. Screw that respect crap. Your book says I should be killed. At the very least, you think I'm wrong for being gay because of your holy book. *Staff Edit*

Next time Mr. *Staff Edit* is annoying me with his negativity I am going to bring him to town and disrespect the Bible hella. He hasn't read it. He respects it because his mama and pastor told him to? What a baby. Give me a break... I'm gonna clown on him so hard for being a Bible believer. Trust me, this chap has it coming, I hate working with him. Now I know how I can get to him hee hee.

What do you guys think about "respecting" other people's beliefs when their beliefs say you should be stoned to death? Isn't that asking a lot of me?
It sounds to me that you offended your co-worker first and when he reacted strongly to your criticism of his beliefs you decided to come on here and vent about your co-worker and why the Bible sucks. Please say all of what you said on here back to your fellow co-worker.

Sargonski

Oh, is he trying to stone you to death? Is he preaching at you all day every day?

There was no reason to be talking of religion in the first place, and there doesn't seem to be any reason for you to clash over it in order to do your job.

I suggest not bringing it up again, and let it go.

Do you want him or someone else attack you for YOUR beliefs that THEY see as silly or offensive?

Well, that's my take.

and sorry but your take is flawed .. Yes the person is trying to force religious beliefs on others through physical violence .. if this person votes on the basis of their belief.

That said ... perhaps this particular person does not vote - particularely on referendum .. city council .. or SCOTUS .. in which case you don't want to assume this person is one of those lost souls .. enemies of liberty, the founding princpiles and the USA.

In general -- disrespect towards the Bible does not necessarily disrespect someone's religion .. although some of the lost souls might take offense .. The hands of Satanial are all over the Bible .. that is a Bible Fact .. and a Bible Truth .. is this disrespectful ?

One can say well the Fundamentalist believes the Entire Bible is God Breathed .. and so you have disrespected these peoples belief suggesting that the Devil's hand has found its way in there.. I say this is total Codswallow .. These fundamentalists have disrespected themselves .. as it is they who believe that Satan is around every corner trying to Trick them .. what better way than to mess with the Bible .. and hence why the book is full of contradiction the devils minions being the hands of men.

Hmmm.... Nah I disagree.

A belief system that demonizes me because I am gay I should not speak out against because everyone else supports the belief system? Am I understanding you right?

And God was "The Word" -- A God the sum total of its commands .. and in the bible we have many different commands .. comming from many different Gods.

God A says -- Kill the child for the sins of the parents -- God B says -- Do not kill the child for the sins of the Parents - each is to be punished according to his own sin.

We have another God C ... Let ye who is without sin cast the first rock. God A says Stone the whore and the Gay .. God P days .. Don't have sex at all - which kind of solves our Gay and adultery problem but life is no fun.

You have the God of Paul, the God of Jesus, God of Moses, God of Abraham .. and lest we not forget the God Ha Satan 5 different Commands .. 4 different Gods.

Its interesting to ask .. how many commands make up the 10 commandments .. when we include the God whos name is Jealous into the mix.. exodus 34

10 Then the Lord said: “I am making a covenant with you. Before all your people I will do wonders never before done in any nation in all the world. The people you live among will see how awesome is the work that I, the Lord, will do for you. 11 Obey what I command you today. I will drive out before you the Amorites, Canaanites, Hittites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites. 12 Be careful not to make a treaty with those who live in the land where you are going, or they will be a snare among you. 13 Break down their altars, smash their sacred stones and cut down their Asherah poles.[a] 14 Do not worship any other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

15 “Be careful not to make a treaty with those who live in the land; for when they prostitute themselves to their gods and sacrifice to them, they will invite you and you will eat their sacrifices. 16 And when you choose some of their daughters as wives for your sons and those daughters prostitute themselves to their gods, they will lead your sons to do the same.

17 “Do not make any idols.

18 “Celebrate the Festival of Unleavened Bread. For seven days eat bread made without yeast, as I commanded you. Do this at the appointed time in the month of Aviv, for in that month you came out of Egypt.

19 “The first offspring of every womb belongs to me, including all the firstborn males of your livestock, whether from herd or flock. 20 Redeem the firstborn donkey with a lamb, but if you do not redeem it, break its neck. Redeem all your firstborn sons.

“No one is to appear before me empty-handed.

21 “Six days you shall labor, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even during the plowing season and harvest you must rest.

22 “Celebrate the Festival of Weeks with the firstfruits of the wheat harvest, and the Festival of Ingathering at the turn of the year.[b] 23 Three times a year all your men are to appear before the Sovereign Lord, the God of Israel. 24 I will drive out nations before you and enlarge your territory, and no one will covet your land when you go up three times each year to appear before the Lord your God.

25 “Do not offer the blood of a sacrifice to me along with anything containing yeast, and do not let any of the sacrifice from the Passover Festival remain until morning.

26 “Bring the best of the firstfruits of your soil to the house of the Lord your God.

“Do not cook a young goat in its mother’s milk.”

27 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.” 28 Moses was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights without eating bread or drinking water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant—the Ten Commandments.

At this point you are supposed to cry out -- but wait .. where are Don't kill, don't steal or shag thy neighbors wife .. lie under oath and all that good stuff .. Sorry Friend .. different God .. different set of commands .. This God's name is Jealousy ... and a particularly nasty God this one .. perhaps you might want to move over to EL ... God of Abraham .. he has a different set of commands for you. .. and will get you closer to the God of Jesus .. the commands comming out of the order of Melchi-Zedek .. Twin Gods of Righteousness and Justice .. Patron God of Jerusalem ..

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Meh... I have a bad habit of bringing up religion at work as well, but it's important to keep your cards closer to your chest - you don't want to be known as the weird guy who always talks about religion at work. It's rare when you find someone who both cares enough about religion and is open minded enough to have an actual conversation about it that yields anything interesting. Everyone is there because they have to be there to pay their bills and they just want to get through their day as pleasantly as possible

I've done dish washing before and it's mind numbing. I suggest keeping your religious convos surface level unless you happen to know that a coworker would actually be interested in discussing the topic. Light philosophical topics are way easier for people to approach and digest since they don't have the religious baggage attached. I usually let my mind wander that way when I start getting bored

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
:)

Unless, of course, he didn't. The Pericope Adulterae has an interesting history.
Yes, I understand the different viewpoints… but it isn’t just found there. There are multiple scriptures that say the same thing...

Luke 7:46 You did not anoint my head with oil, but she has anointed my feet with perfumed oil. 47 Therefore I tell you, her sins, which were many, are forgiven, thus she loved much; but the one who is forgiven little loves little.” 48 ThenJesus said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”

Same position…. no stone and no condemnation; just forgiveness.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I think humour is one of the best ways of moving past all this religious stuff. I mean, Nietzsche & co already did all the serious, frowny, breast-beating, Dawkins and others are a bit too acerbic, we should learn to just laugh at it and move on.
Laughing at the religious beliefs of others is a bit frownd upon at RF.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
At work this week, I was telling a fellow dishwasher I'm not a Christian because the God of the Bible is "crazy psycho" in my opinion. This guy caught me off guard by getting a bit offended and defensive. This chap is the most disrespectful *Staff Edit* I have ever met, a real sore to work with because he is so negative. But he came to the Bible's defense, saying he "would never disrespect the Bible". Said his family was Christian/Catholic. I said "that's cool" and apologized if I offended him and we went on with our work.

That was just a habitual, taught, reaction. You are taught to "respect" someone's religion. And I was a Christian for the longest time, I expected that people don't clown on me for my Christianity.

But I thought about it later that day, how I apologized and stuff. *Staff Edit* And people believe it literally came from God Himself.

I am a gay man with a boyfriend. I have to keep the most important part of my life a secret from my family and the public in general because of the BIBLE. *Staff Edit* Leviticus 20:13 literally says I should be STONED to DEATH!

That's just one teensy eensy aspect of the Bible that is messed up. And people think we should "respect" it?

I have become determined to be unabashed in my distaste for Christianity and the Bible in my conversations. Screw that respect crap. Your book says I should be killed. At the very least, you think I'm wrong for being gay because of your holy book. *Staff Edit*

Next time Mr. *Staff Edit* is annoying me with his negativity I am going to bring him to town and disrespect the Bible hella. He hasn't read it. He respects it because his mama and pastor told him to? What a baby. Give me a break... I'm gonna clown on him so hard for being a Bible believer. Trust me, this chap has it coming, I hate working with him. Now I know how I can get to him hee hee.

What do you guys think about "respecting" other people's beliefs when their beliefs say you should be stoned to death? Isn't that asking a lot of me?
I don't respect certain beliefs, and I see no need to. I do respect people's right to have such beliefs, as it's diversity of life on this planet. When it comes to action, however, I see no need to act on it. There is no need, for example, to call out your colleague every chance you get.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Respect is earned. Or it is not.

People and institutions that go out of their way to bet that others will extend respect to their texts better be prepared to find people who won't oblige.

It is a bit silly to expect otherwise.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Respect is earned. Or it is not.

People and institutions that go out of their way to bet that others will extend respect to their texts better be prepared to find people who won't oblige.

It is a bit silly to expect otherwise.
Is the OP of this thread about respecting a religious text or respecting a person?

Do you think a person is due a level of decorum despite what they believe? Or is it okay to project one's beliefs or disbeliefs upon others of different beliefs or disbeliefs without solicitation?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Is the OP of this thread about respecting a religious text or respecting a person?

Do you think a person is due a level of decorum despite what they believe? Or is it okay to project one's beliefs or disbeliefs upon others of different beliefs or disbeliefs without solicitation?
I have to wonder if the distinction is all that important, particularly when the starting point is that bet I talked about.

People ought to know better than to used their sacred texts to attempt to make hostages out of themselves and their interlocutors.

dfnj

At work this week, I was telling a fellow dishwasher I'm not a Christian because the God of the Bible is "crazy psycho" in my opinion.

The fact the Bible got the morality of slavery wrong is all you need to know.

“Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.” (1 Peter 2:18)

I think people blindly idolize Jesus and idolize the verses of the Bible so they are not objective about its meaning.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Besides, "do unto others..." isn't a Christian only decree. It's across the board for all theological thought. IOW, just good, solid morality for all.
Not only theological thought. Most atheists and agnostics that I know find it a pretty good rule of thumb, although some of us change it around a little. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" leaves open some stuff that should be a no-go. For example, I might want a handsome straight guy to pleasure me physically, but that surely doesn't give me the right to try to do same to him.

So some of us prefer, "do not do to others what you would not have them do to you."

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I have to wonder if the distinction is all that important, particularly when the starting point is that bet I talked about.

People ought to know better than to used their sacred texts to attempt to make hostages out of themselves and their interlocutors.
You have no issue with unsolicited attacks with no context on your personal subjective views? If someone you work with out of the blue started attacking your dharmic leanings, that would be perfectly acceptable to you? There is no expectation on your part of any personal boundaries?

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Not only theological thought. Most atheists and agnostics that I know find it a pretty good rule of thumb, although some of us change it around a little. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" leaves open some stuff that should be a no-go. For example, I might want a handsome straight guy to pleasure me physically, but that surely doesn't give me the right to try to do same to him.

So some of prefer, "do not do to others what you would not have them do to you."
Yes, each of the theologies word it a bit differently, probably more suitable to the culture and times.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Without the OT, the NT would make little sense since so much is taken from it.