• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should we be disrespectful towards the Bible?

ppp

Hmmm.... Nah I disagree.

A belief system that demonizes me because I am gay I should not speak out against because everyone else supports the belief system? Am I understanding you right?
It's good to keep the peace in the workplace, and, as a rule, I don't bring up religion there. But there is nothing inherently wrong with what you said. It is a toxic book that directly and explicitly promotes all sorts of immoral and disgusting acts and attitudes. There are good reasons not to say what you said in that particular context, but you were not wrong to do so.

Except for @ChristineM , did anyone who advised against your actions acknowledge that what you said about the text of the Bible was accurate, and that those words are in fact , immoral? Or did they only advise you to be reasonable, and polite, and to take the high road?

For the most part, the goal of such advice is not for your sake, but to get you to shut up about the words that they pretend do not exist.

What do you guys think about "respecting" other people's beliefs when their beliefs say you should be stoned to death? Isn't that asking a lot of me?
If their book says you should be killed, but they don't kill you, don't you think they deserve little respect for sparing you from the judgment?

Do you think others should respect you?

Heyo

Veteran Member
What do you guys think about "respecting" other people's beliefs when their beliefs say you should be stoned to death? Isn't that asking a lot of me?
I think, one should be respectful towards other people with the amount of respect they have earned. There is a start bonus for being human, and then there are their actions and beliefs.
"Holy" books and religious beliefs have as much of my respect as the belief that pineapple belongs on pizza.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
But he came to the Bible's defense, saying he "would never disrespect the Bible". Said his family was Christian/Catholic. I said "that's cool" and apologized if I offended him and we went on with our work.
Even in Russia being disrespectful to Koran is "not done"
(well, according to Putin in below youtube)

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
@an anarchist -

Because I was unfamiliar with the word you used to describe your coworker I looked it up. Apparently, no matter its derivation, here in the USA it is used primarily as a derogatory term for people of a certain ethnic background.

I could be wrong, but from the tone of your opening post your use of the term was not inadvertent. You might want to consider editing your post.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
@an anarchist -

Because I was unfamiliar with the word you used to describe your coworker I looked it up. Apparently, no matter its derivation, here in the USA it is used primarily as a derogatory term for people of a certain ethnic background.

I could be wrong, but from the tone of your opening post your use of the term was not inadvertent. You might want to consider editing your post.
Lol it's not a racial thing... It means he try's to be gangsta.

I appreciate the look out tho

pearl

But I thought about it later that day, how I apologized and stuff. I will never do that again. SCREW the Bible as a religious text and a way of life. It is a screwed up book. And people believe it literally came from God Himself.

And therein lies the problem. The 'word' in the 'Word of the Lord' , is human.

danieldemol

Premium Member
@an anarchist
I think you are 100% in the right, however its not worth going hungry or getting the sack over, better just to lay low in real life then (figuratively speaking) open fire on the internet as you have done here in my opinion.

But should the balance of power ever shift in your favour you would be doing your work buddy a favour to free his mind from his indoctrination as I see it by explaining why you see the bible as toxic in real life as I see it. I only advise caution for the sake of safety. Take care.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
"Holy" books and religious beliefs have as much of my respect as the belief that pineapple belongs on pizza.
I love pineapple on my pizza, with Canadian bacon. :)
However, I cannot say I respect the Bible. I have very mixed feelings about it.
Certain Christian beliefs are a bigger problem for me than the Bible.....
(e.g, Jesus is the only way, Jesus is God, Jesus rose from the dead, Jesus is coming back to earth).

Unfettered

A striving disciple of Jesus Christ
Not showing respect to something that we cannot respect is different than being disrespectful, which I understand to be a projection of pride. The former is justified, the latter never seems to be (though that is a high bar to clear, and one that I continue to show I can't yet clear in all cases).

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yea it was just casual conversation ya know. We are stuck with each other for like eight hours for three days a weekend so we have to talk... Especially since they took our music away. Now I know religion is not a topic to bring up. With some coworkers, I can talk chop about religion and spirituality, to my delight.

I don't think we should normalize or condone toxic beliefs, such as Christianity, even if it is already normalized.

FWIW, if you're trying to avoid normalizing toxic beliefs, one approach that's in line with this would be to treat Christianity as a subject that's inappropriate for polite conversation... which would generally mean not bringing it up unprompted.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If their book says you should be killed, but they don't kill you, don't you think they deserve little respect for sparing you from the judgment?

You think the guy deserves praise for being more moral than his religion?

Acting on murderous hateful beliefs is bad. Voicing support for those beliefs or propagating to others is still bad even if you don't act on them.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
For being merciful.

There isn't any special mercy in choosing not to arbitrarily kill people.

... but if you place importance on this type of "mercy," then we can recognize that it's being exercised by everyone in the scenario.

So, you think evil people should live forever?

In this scenario, the most evil person is the Christian.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
At work this week, I was telling a fellow dishwasher I'm not a Christian because the God of the Bible is "crazy psycho" in my opinion. This guy caught me off guard by getting a bit offended and defensive. This chap is the most disrespectful *Staff Edit* I have ever met, a real sore to work with because he is so negative. But he came to the Bible's defense, saying he "would never disrespect the Bible". Said his family was Christian/Catholic. I said "that's cool" and apologized if I offended him and we went on with our work.

That was just a habitual, taught, reaction. You are taught to "respect" someone's religion. And I was a Christian for the longest time, I expected that people don't clown on me for my Christianity.

But I thought about it later that day, how I apologized and stuff. *Staff Edit* And people believe it literally came from God Himself.

I am a gay man with a boyfriend. I have to keep the most important part of my life a secret from my family and the public in general because of the BIBLE. *Staff Edit* Leviticus 20:13 literally says I should be STONED to DEATH!

That's just one teensy eensy aspect of the Bible that is messed up. And people think we should "respect" it?

I have become determined to be unabashed in my distaste for Christianity and the Bible in my conversations. Screw that respect crap. Your book says I should be killed. At the very least, you think I'm wrong for being gay because of your holy book. *Staff Edit*

Next time Mr. *Staff Edit* is annoying me with his negativity I am going to bring him to town and disrespect the Bible hella. He hasn't read it. He respects it because his mama and pastor told him to? What a baby. Give me a break... I'm gonna clown on him so hard for being a Bible believer. Trust me, this chap has it coming, I hate working with him. Now I know how I can get to him hee hee.

I’m curious… why do you talk about Christianity in relationship with the TaNaKh when the New Testament invalidated it? Christianity isn’t based on the Old Testament.

Jesus said, “He who is without sin cast the first stone” - which means we are all in the same boat and the one who had every right to throw the stone… didn’t.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I’m curious… why do you talk about Christianity in relationship with the TaNaKh when the New Testament invalidated it? Christianity isn’t based on the Old Testament.

Jesus said, “He who is without sin cast the first stone” - which means we are all in the same boat and the one who had every right to throw the stone… didn’t.
Which denomination of Christianity uses a Bible version that contains no OT?

On second thought, it doesn't matter. If the OT wasn't at least a part of the foundation of Christianity, there would be Bibles in publication that contained only the NT, no? As far as I'm aware, there is no denomination of Christianity that uses such a Bible.

Tomef

At work this week, I was telling a fellow dishwasher I'm not a Christian because the God of the Bible is "crazy psycho" in my opinion. This guy caught me off guard by getting a bit offended and defensive. This chap is the most disrespectful *Staff Edit* I have ever met, a real sore to work with because he is so negative. But he came to the Bible's defense, saying he "would never disrespect the Bible". Said his family was Christian/Catholic. I said "that's cool" and apologized if I offended him and we went on with our work.

That was just a habitual, taught, reaction. You are taught to "respect" someone's religion. And I was a Christian for the longest time, I expected that people don't clown on me for my Christianity.

But I thought about it later that day, how I apologized and stuff. *Staff Edit* And people believe it literally came from God Himself.

I am a gay man with a boyfriend. I have to keep the most important part of my life a secret from my family and the public in general because of the BIBLE. *Staff Edit* Leviticus 20:13 literally says I should be STONED to DEATH!

That's just one teensy eensy aspect of the Bible that is messed up. And people think we should "respect" it?

I have become determined to be unabashed in my distaste for Christianity and the Bible in my conversations. Screw that respect crap. Your book says I should be killed. At the very least, you think I'm wrong for being gay because of your holy book. *Staff Edit*

Next time Mr. *Staff Edit* is annoying me with his negativity I am going to bring him to town and disrespect the Bible hella. He hasn't read it. He respects it because his mama and pastor told him to? What a baby. Give me a break... I'm gonna clown on him so hard for being a Bible believer. Trust me, this chap has it coming, I hate working with him. Now I know how I can get to him hee hee.

I think humour is one of the best ways of moving past all this religious stuff. I mean, Nietzsche & co already did all the serious, frowny, breast-beating, Dawkins and others are a bit too acerbic, we should learn to just laugh at it and move on.