• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should RF Keep its Political Forums?

Should RF keep it's political forums?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Terry Sampson

Create a U.S. Politics DIR and enforce posting there on penalty of banishment. And fix it so that new threads in it don't make it to the "New Threads" list.
If and when things get too rowdy in that DIR, split it into sub-DIRs (categories to be determined), otherwise the majority of posters will eventually get banned for violating Forum decorum rules.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Because those other discussions aren't happening all the time and resulting in needless moderation almost every single day. The RMA thread and LPITW thread aren't resulting in warnings left right and centre. That political discussion is one of the biggest things here, on a forum not dedicated to it, and results in mud-slinging, trolling, thread-locking and warning isn't healthy.
And I have already said I'd rather have a smaller forum dedicated to discussing mostly religion than a large one rampant with trolls.
If the job is too overwhelming then perhaps it's time to take a break. :shrug: Just sayin'

The second issue is it's mostly US politics, which isolates anyone not from the US and comes across to us like needless whining when our countries have problems too but we're not making threads and threads about them.
I don't believe anyone is twisting your arm to read or not read any forum are they? If people don't participate in a forum it's only because they don't care to, not because they're prevented from doing so. If there aren't enough members who want to discuss your country's problems whose fault is that, those who want to discuss North American Politics?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
If the job is too overwhelming then perhaps it's time to take a break. :shrug: Just sayin'
This isn't what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that it would be overall better for everyone if we were giving fewer warnings and we had fewer trolls.

Skwim

Veteran Member
This isn't what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that it would be overall better for everyone if we were giving fewer warnings and we had fewer trolls.
I would certainly think so, but human nature being what it is I guess it comes with the territory.
So, it looks like the issue comes down to a question of: Is it worth the work to give the membership a venue to discuss politics or not? I would hope it is because the forums do appear to be well attended (NAP in particular), perhaps even bringing in those who would otherwise never become interested in religion.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
WE discuss in North American politics what is pertinent to us. Last time I checked, Britain wasn´t in North America.
Many Europeans, and dare I say it, Canadians ( though not American, they are North American) decide to join the fun, so be it.
There are numerous forums where others should feel quite at home.

Just watch that clicker and you will be just fine.,
Britain doesn't even matter, except for the haggis.
I recall something from some movie or book...
"He who controls the haggis, controls the universe."

exchemist

Veteran Member
I don't care if we lose membership; the number of trolls and lack of religious discussion in favour of political discussion is bringing the forum down. I'd rather have a smaller forum with good members than a large one with mediocre members and trolls all over the place.
There is another approach to that, of course: tougher moderation of the trolls. I am amazed by some of the things people seem able to get away with saying on this forum. I don't find simple abuse a problem but racism, and the spreading of palpably false and malicious tales about religious groups, strikes me as something that could be controlled. Also people who are clearly trying to annoy, or waste the time of others by posting in bad faith.

I find this forum a lively place compared to many others and would hate to see that suffer. I also find I learn something about politics - and political attitudes - in other countries occasionally, which is a good thing.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Given the amount of animosity, anger, gratuitous anger, and other negative emotions and behavior associated with RF's political forums, do you think RF would be a better place without political forums? What say you?

As hard as it is for me to say, I vote lock the political forums from further replies, if that can be done. My reasoning for this response is that I'm seeing members that can normally get along being divided over the subject of politics.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Given the amount of animosity, anger, gratuitous anger, and other negative emotions and behavior associated with RF's political forums, do you think RF would be a better place without political forums? What say you?

The RF is only worth coming to because of open debate on many taboo social issues. Taking any away because of the negatives ignores the positives allowing the people to better in the real world where it counts. Besides if you go to other forums you'll see the animosity on the RF is rather tame thanks to the rules and moderators.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Although i consider American politics to be mostly beyond my need to know i have on occasion commented on some of the myriad (often boring, often duplicated, often petty) threads. I do have an interest in UK politics, particularly the Brexit threads. So i voted yes.

shmogie

Are you proposing no more discussions of LGBT rights, abortion, immigration, religious freedom? I can think of huge overlaps between religion and politics, and undoubtedly all of our religious, (or irreligious) worldviews intersect with politics as a result of the philosophical underpinnings of those beliefs.
Discuss them all if you choose. I am prepared to rebut most, as I am sure my friend Salvador is.

BUT, lets not concentrate on words, they are a dime a dozen, and mean little.

Actions are tangible and reflect what is actually occurring.

Have at it if you choose.

shmogie

Although i consider American politics to be mostly beyond my need to know i have on occasion commented on some of the myriad (often boring, often duplicated, often petty) threads. I do have an interest in UK politics, particularly the Brexit threads. So i voted yes.
I stay completely out of the Brexit issue. As I would be properly told, it is none of my business and my opinion is irrelevant.

For the first and only time I will comment.

I am utterly amazed that a once proud and powerful nation, from which my ancestors came, would give up itś sovereignty and put itself under the control of a bunch of faceless bureaucrats who come from a different culture, ancestry, and language.

It did. Actions have consequences.

Finito

shmogie

T
Britain doesn't even matter, except for the haggis.
I recall something from some movie or book...
"He who controls the haggis, controls the universe."
That stuff is revolting ( do you like it ?) they can keep it. I wouldn't feed it to my dogs.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I stay completely out of the Brexit issue. As I would be properly told, it is none of my business and my opinion is irrelevant.

For the first and only time I will comment.

I am utterly amazed that a once proud and powerful nation, from which my ancestors came, would give up itś sovereignty and put itself under the control of a bunch of faceless bureaucrats who come from a different culture, ancestry, and language.

It did. Actions have consequences.

Finito

That shows your ignorance of the EU so i am not surprised you stay out of it.

BTW, the queen is still sovereign of the UK. The Maastricht Treaty placed into European law that no member county would in any way have its sovereignty diminished.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I think British people should start making new threads every single time PM Johnson or Katie Hopkins or Rees-Mogg makes a new twitter post or does an interview, then perhaps the US people will see how unbelievably annoying and inane it is.

Please do. It would actually be an educational window into UK society.

I would hate to see the political subforums go (heated debate is where all the fun is at), but I wouldn't object to them being relocated to their own spin-off sister forum?