• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Feminists be encouraging women to be strippers?

Aquitaine

I'm thinking the other way around.Demand creates supply.There is a lack of demand.Why?

Why there is less demand for it from Women?

It'll mostly likely be because of a number of things, even with the (generally less) disposable income aside, there still exists an attitude of disapproval if women display signs of sexual interest. ****-shaming, for example. This sort of shaming doesn't exist anywhere near as much for males, whom thus would probably feel less guilty going to - let's say - a strip club.

Maybe a lot more women realize the poor state of the current industry too, given that most of the workers are female. Perhaps if the industry cleaned-up it's act to an ideal standard, maybe more women would be comfortable with the industry and it's ethics? :shrug:

Or it could be that women in general simply don't have as much desire to pay for sexual services?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
[quote
it'll mostly likely be because of a number of things, even with the (generally less) disposable income aside, there still exists an attitude of disapproval if women display signs of sexual interest. ****-shaming, for example. This sort of shaming doesn't exist anywhere near as much for males, whom thus would probably feel less guilty going to - let's say - a strip club.][/quote]

wrong!

ignition

We are "sitting on a gold mine" as in we can always sell our p**sy? And we are the "gatekeepers of sex" because we want the right to say "no honey I don't feel like it right now I'm constipated" :areyoucra because men never say they are not in the mood right?
Yeah It's funny how the sex industry works in a way where it's the woman that has to make a spectacle of herself.
I don't know why this post reminded me of Chris Rock heehee. He says a similar thing, he's so damn funny.

[youtube]IiSKxw2B2PU[/youtube]
Chris Rock - Differences Between Men And Women - YouTube

Aquitaine

We are "sitting on a gold mine" as in we can always sell our p**sy? And we are the "gatekeepers of sex" because we want the right to say "no honey I don't feel like it right now I'm constipated" :areyoucra because men never say they are not in the mood right?
Yeah It's funny how the sex industry works in a way where it's the woman that has to make a spectacle of herself.

I've already put forward an assumption: if there are way more Heterosexual Males with disposable income willing to blow sums of money on sexual services, then the preferences for these customers will be accommodated: in this case (I would imagine) it is usually Bisexual Females.

Now, if there are way more Heterosexual Females with disposable income willing to blow sums of money on sexual services, then the preferences for these customers will be accommodated: in this case (I would imagine) it is usually Heterosexual Males.

Even though Women make up a minority in the sex industry customer base, there still exist Male strippers and shows catered specifically for women.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm thinking the other way around.Demand creates supply.There is a lack of demand.Why?

I agree that there is a lack of demand, but i also think that most likely there would be less supply in comparison too. I think there are certainly some differences between how women and men experience and express their sexuality. Through nature or nurture, and most likely both. Distinguishing between the possible results of each force clearly is not easy for me, but i can at least talk about the nurturing we can detect.

I think everyone realizes that often there are social forces that aim to shape a woman's supposed sexuality into a certain form. Such forces are sometimes pretty considerable, coming from things like religious institutions and media, which i think has considerable effects. In some societies this can be more obvious than it is in others.

In mine, you could still see for example in some elements of society (much fewer than it once used to be) the idea that a man's appearance doesn't matter. Literally, doesn't matter. Only his personality. That a woman doesn't care about what her chosen partner looks like, or at least not much, rather only about "how he would treat her" and things along those lines. On the other side, we can also detect some things regarding how men are often nurtured and what effects that might have.

I think less men would be comfortable with the idea of becoming a stripper, at least in part due to socially enforced or commonly accepted ideas and stereotypes.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3418867 said:
Namaste,

I apologize; I didn't mean to come off as patronizing.

I provided a "global" approach. From Libya to Egypt. From Egypt to Northern Scythia. This was called the "Known World" back then. And, you have provided only two from North America.

An overwhelming majority of them were matrilocal, and a few of them were patrilocal. This only furthers my cause.

Haha. You have to provide cited examples (this would include quotations - something which I have provided you consistently) backing up the [refutation] points that you are raising to counter mine (providing links expecting me to conduct a goose chase don't count; in-text citations do) - you can't just dissect mine without providing citations that would vividly support your argument (we are talking about historical accuracy, not whether if God exists or not where the burden of proof would solely be on me); I can't be the one doing your research for you, Penumbra-ji (-ji isn't patronizing, it's an Indian suffix signifying respect - so please don't crusade me on that :D).

M.V.
You've provided short snippets of quotations, primarily from a single source or from incorrect portions of wikipedia (including quoting to me the Myth section of the Amazons to try to support your argument, right where it talked about Hercules and the Amazon queen's magical girdle).

I'm not going to get caught into a trap trying to prove a negative, MV. I'm specific about what claims I make. You made very specific assertions without evidence. You claim certain things would arise in a matriarchy, but I've given examples of matriarchies where they did not arise, and then linked to a nice list where you can point out to me where some of the things you suggest, did arise. I've looked through a bunch of them, have you? Have you found any where what you describe, happened?

Another way you can approach this if you want to provide an evidenced argument for your specific claims is to, say, look at the World Economic Forum 2012 Gender Gap Report, which ranks current countries by involvement of women in politics, business, etc. If you could present a correlation that societies with more women in power have a higher ratio of male strippers to female strippers or more things like that (especially when comparing on a fairly equal basis, like sticking to market-based economies that have different gender gaps), then you might have an argument. I doubt you'll find any help for what you're saying there, though.

As it stands, the speculation that you gave is not what generally has happened in matriarchal societies. But if were true, you have the tools now to present some societies where what you describe, did occur.

Rakhel

Even though Women make up a minority in the sex industry customer base, there still exist Male strippers and shows catered specifically for women.
This brought to mind
MV5BMTg2NDM5NTQzM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzg0OTMyMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR5,0,214,317_.jpg

Loved it BTW

illykitty

RF's pet cat
It'll mostly likely be because of a number of things, even with the (generally less) disposable income aside, there still exists an attitude of disapproval if women display signs of sexual interest. ****-shaming, for example. This sort of shaming doesn't exist anywhere near as much for males, whom thus would probably feel less guilty going to - let's say - a strip club.

I think also there'a social pressure on men to act like that (go to strippers, display over interest in sex and females bodies) if they are to be considered manly or normal.

It's perfectly acceptable/encouraged for men. Not saying that's why all men go to strippers, just that there's a factor of that, while women are not expected/encouraged to behave like this. We are social animals and often conform to fit in.

Aquitaine

I think also there'a social pressure on men to act like that (go to strippers, display over interest in sex and females bodies) if they are to be considered manly or normal.

It's perfectly acceptable/encouraged for men. Not saying that's why all men go to strippers, just that there's a factor of that, while women are not expected/encouraged to behave like this. We are social animals and often conform to fit in.

I noticed that too when I was in my teens at least (back then I was more social anyways). Men seem to be told "go get 'em!" whereas with women it seems to be more "stay pure and ladylike".

For example, during my youth I was often accused (often-jokingly) of being a Homosexual, by both family and friends. I assume this was mostly because I chose not to get into relationships or follow the trend of meeting a stranger in a nightclub and having a drunken one-night stand with her.

Ergo, it does appear that Men are encouraged/expected to be promiscuous, whilst also are discouraged from "being emotional". Whereas with Women they are encouraged/expected to "be emotional" and are discouraged from being promiscuous.

Society is indeed very odd, hehe!

strikeviperMKII

I noticed that too when I was in my teens at least (back then I was more social anyways). Men seem to be told "go get 'em!" whereas with women it seems to be more "stay pure and ladylike".

For example, during my youth I was often accused (often-jokingly) of being a Homosexual, by both family and friends. I assume this was mostly because I chose not to get into relationships or follow the trend of meeting a stranger in a nightclub and having a drunken one-night stand with her.

Ergo, it does appear that Men are encouraged/expected to be promiscuous, whilst also are discouraged from "being emotional". Whereas with Women they are encouraged/expected to "be emotional" and are discouraged from being promiscuous.

Society is indeed very odd, hehe!

Its evolutionary if nothing else. I think the social pressure follows biology. Men are pushed to 'get some' women are pushed to 'wait for it' and 'put up signs' to advertise their willingness. Humans are really no different than other apes even though we express things socially rather than a purely physical or chemical sign.

Alceste

Vagabond
Agreed ..but why? Why so many woman have that "job"?

And I don't buy the ole "if it was matriarchy it would be in reverse"...BS!

If women NOW (at least in developed countries) were "demanding" more male strip clubs and availability of male prostitutes the industry would grow to meet the demand.Women are not demanding it.(at least not in any #'s )Why?

We're used to thinking of men as people, that's why.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
You've provided short snippets of quotations, primarily from a single source or from incorrect portions of wikipedia (including quoting to me the Myth section of the Amazons to try to support your argument, right where it talked about Hercules and the Amazon queen's magical girdle).

I'm not going to get caught into a trap trying to prove a negative, MV. I'm specific about what claims I make. You made very specific assertions without evidence. You claim certain things would arise in a matriarchy, but I've given examples of matriarchies where they did not arise, and then linked to a nice list where you can point out to me where some of the things you suggest, did arise. I've looked through a bunch of them, have you? Have you found any where what you describe, happened?

Another way you can approach this if you want to provide an evidenced argument for your specific claims is to, say, look at the World Economic Forum 2012 Gender Gap Report, which ranks current countries by involvement of women in politics, business, etc. If you could present a correlation that societies with more women in power have a higher ratio of male strippers to female strippers or more things like that (especially when comparing on a fairly equal basis, like sticking to market-based economies that have different gender gaps), then you might have an argument. I doubt you'll find any help for what you're saying there, though.

As it stands, the speculation that you gave is not what generally has happened in matriarchal societies. But if were true, you have the tools now to present some societies where what you describe, did occur.

Namaste,

Touché.

M.V.

Last edited: