• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Feminists be encouraging women to be strippers?

Horrorble

Yeah...but its worth more than "d**ck" ..Say we have gold they have (depending) hypo alergenic silver plated.

Maybe that's because d**ck doesn't make us reach orgasm most of the time so we don't see why we should pay for it? Haha!!

But also men use the sex industry in order to rape and sexually assault women, which I guess is why it is more popular for them than us.

Aquitaine

I'd rather sex work be legalised and heavily regulated, rather than just be criminalised, swept under the rug and ignored as if it doesn't exist, which seems to be all we've ever done.

Don't get me wrong: I'd say about 98% of the sex worker population should not be working there, due to their personal circumstances etc. But until we address the issue of eliminating the social and economic conditions which force/coerce people into sex work, I believe a legalised, well-regulated industry with proper worker's rights and support is the lesser of the two evils.

Alceste

Vagabond
I'd rather sex work be legalised and heavily regulated, rather than just be criminalised, swept under the rug and ignored as if it doesn't exist, which seems to be all we've ever done.

Don't get me wrong: I'd say about 98% of the sex worker population should not be working there, due to their personal circumstances etc. But until we address the issue of eliminating the social and economic conditions which force/coerce people into sex work, I believe a legalised, well-regulated industry with proper worker's rights and support is the lesser of the two evils.

I agree.

Horrorble

True, true, it would be nice if people didn't take advantage though

Aquitaine

True, true, it would be nice if people didn't take advantage though

I think sex workers need specific contracts with their employers/clients, in which they determine exactly what they will do, in what way - and more importantly what they *wont* do. They'll need unions too, along with other support (including assistance with getting out).

Along with employers and clients being held responsible if they breach the conditions. Sunstone mentioned an idea of having a license to buy sexual services, and if an individual either has a history of abuse, or directly abuses a worker after receiving the licence, said licence will be revoked and they will be prosecuted etc.

Obviously no system is perfect, but I do think this would be the better alternative that will run concurrently with a more "comprehensive" plan to improve the socio-economic conditions for people, in order to prevent them from being "sucked in" to the industry out of economic coercion/abuse.

Out of curiosity, Horrorble, what would you propose?

Horrorble

I think sex workers need specific contracts with their employers/clients, in which they determine exactly what they will do, in what way - and more importantly what they *wont* do. They'll need unions too, along with other support (including assistance with getting out).

Along with employers and clients being held responsible if they breach the conditions. Sunstone mentioned an idea of having a license to buy sexual services, and if an individual either has a history of abuse, or directly abuses a worker after receiving the licence, said licence will be revoked and they will be prosecuted etc.

Obviously no system is perfect, but I do think this would be the better alternative that will run concurrently with a more "comprehensive" plan to improve the socio-economic conditions for people, in order to prevent them from being "sucked in" to the industry out of economic coercion/abuse.

I propose...kill all pimps :D

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
On two occasions, I was asked by female friends of mine to take them to a strip club. Both times, the women said the experience was "liberating" and that it had made them horny (or, rather, "turned them on"). Of course, these were high end clubs, but the point remains that at least some women are turned on by watching strippers.

I've got a little story about one of those women. She had a boyfriend at the time who was a year younger than required by law to get into a strip club. That is, she was a year or two older than him. So, we left him at my place with a book of Kurt Vonnegut's while we went to the club.

After the club, she told me she couldn't wait to jump her boyfriend's bones.

But when we got back, he had finished the book, and having nothing better to do, had raided my booze supply. He drank everything I had. Everything. And he was falling down drunk when we found him.

As we were carrying him to her car, she looked at me with an expression of profound sadness and said, "I'm not going to get laid tonight, am I?" Of course, he heard her, and so he said, "Of course you are, if that's what you want!" Then he fell down again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquitaine

On two occasions, I was asked by female friends of mine to take them to a strip club. Both times, the women said the experience was "liberating" and that it had made them horny (or, rather, "turned them on"). Of course, these were high end clubs, but the point remains that at least some women are turned on by watching strippers.

I've got a little story about one of those women. She had a boyfriend at the time who was a year younger than required by law to get into a strip club. That is, she was a year or two older than him. So, we left him at my place with a book of Kurt Vonnegut's while we went to the club.

After the club, she told me she couldn't wait to jump her boyfriend's bones.

But when we got back, he had finished the book, and having nothing better to do, had raided my booze supply. He drank everything I had. Everything. And he was falling down drunk when we found him.

As we were carrying him to her car, she looked at me with an expression of profound sadness and said, "I'm not going to get laid tonight, am I?" Of course, he heard her, and so he said, "Of course you are, if that's what you want!" Then he fell down again.

Haha! Massive blood diversions from the brain cannot be a good thing when you're stumbling drunk - trying to stand back up! :biglaugh:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Bordellos also seem to be key, Aquitaine. I've read a study that the most satisfied prostitutes are those who work in bordellos. Those who work the streets are almost never happy with their job.

Aquitaine

Bordellos also seem to be key, Aquitaine. I've read a study that the most satisfied prostitutes are those who work in bordellos. Those who work the streets are almost never happy with their job.

Bordello? <quick google search> ah, so basically a brothel.

Yeah, to be honest with you I do not like the idea of people getting into cars with strangers, or doing things on the streets. It should be in a safe, and often-inspected building. Like many other places of employment.

I think in relation to people picking up prostitutes off the street, under those circumstances selling the sexual services should be legal (so the law is on the worker's side) and buying the services, illegal.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think in relation to people picking up prostitutes off the street, under those circumstances selling the sexual services should be legal (so the law is on the worker's side) and buying the services, illegal.

That's a good point. I agree.

Aquitaine

That's a good point. I agree.

If I remember correctly, Sweden has implemented that method (selling legal, buying illegal). Although I think that's with prostitution as a whole, which to be fair is still better than just criminalizing the whole thing. At least in my opinion.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If I remember correctly, Sweden has implemented that method (selling legal, buying illegal). Although I think that's with prostitution as a whole, which to be fair is still better than just criminalizing the whole thing. At least in my opinion.

At least a woman can tell the police she's been beaten by a john without fear of being arrested for prostitution.

Aquitaine

At least a woman can tell the police she's been beaten by a john without fear of being arrested for prostitution.

To me, It rings of similarity to the UAE thread about the woman reporting rape to the police, and getting arrested for "unlawful sex". :cover:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
To me, It rings of similarity to the UAE thread about the woman reporting rape to the police, and getting arrested for "unlawful sex". :cover:

Which reminds me of just how crazy it is to consider consensual sex "unlawful". If we were not so accustomed to our "right" to approve or disapprove of other people's sexuality, we would think that ridiculous in the extreme.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
***Mod post***

Some of the posts in this thread have been moved out into a separate thread in the Eros Room, on account of their content.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Feminists should encourage women tobe whatever they want to be so long they arent hurting anyone.

In some cases, this would mean stripper.