• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Feminists be encouraging women to be strippers?

Shermana

Heretic
Various studies have determined that the average Stripper makes big time bucks. $75K-125K to be precise.

The average yearly salary for a stripper is about $125,000. - Serious Facts

5 surprising facts about strippers - The Week

What a great way to get around that alleged salary gap, into a career that's 2-3(if not 4)x the mean salary for men, without even requiring a hugely expensive college degree or much job experience!

And a great way to exercise sexual liberalization as well!

And a fairly safe job environment to boot!

Should the Feminist movement be encouraging more and more young women to pursue jobs in "male entertainment" with this in consideration? Or is this simply playing into the hands of exploitation?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Various studies have determined that the average Stripper makes big time bucks. $75K-125K to be precise.

The average yearly salary for a stripper is about $125,000. - Serious Facts

5 surprising facts about strippers - The Week

What a great way to get around that alleged salary gap, into a career that's 2-3(if not 4)x the mean salary for men, without even requiring a hugely expensive college degree or much job experience!

And a great way to exercise sexual liberalization as well!

And a fairly safe job environment to boot!

Should the Feminist movement be encouraging more and more young women to pursue jobs in "male entertainment" with this in consideration? Or is this simply playing into the hands of exploitation?

I identify as a sex-positive feminist who supports women entering into safe and secure aspects of the sex industry. I don't support encouraging "more and more young women to pursue jobs in 'male entertainment'" just because I support safe and secure access.

I only support women being freely able to choose a career that will provide them a living wage.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have no arguments for or against stripping as a profession if it is freely chosen by adults with protections for their well-being.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I do not encourage it but I would not force my opinion on it either. Even if I had the most amazing body on the face of the earth I would not be a stripper. I personally would feel dirty about it. Plus strip clubs here are pretty dodgy and not so safe.

Shermana

Heretic
I do not encourage it but I would not force my opinion on it either. Even if I had the most amazing body on the face of the earth I would not be a stripper. I personally would feel dirty about it. Plus strip clubs here are pretty dodgy and not so safe.

Please go on with this "feeling dirty" thing. Why would it possibly make you feel "dirty"?

From what I've seen and heard, most strip clubs take good care of their girls and the bouncer will be more than happy to peel off an unruly customer in a most brutal fashion.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Please go on with this "feeling dirty" thing. Why would it possibly make you feel "dirty"?

From what I've seen and heard, most strip clubs take good care of their girls and the bouncer will be more than happy to peel off an unruly customer in a most brutal fashion.

Showing my body for the sexual excitement of others, mainly men would make me feel dirty. That could be to do with my sexuality though I am not sure.

That depends on where you are. I have been informed that bikies run most of the strip joints here. Guns, drugs and sex etc.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..

ehhhh...meh...not so much.not "most".

No I wouldn't "encourage" "women" to be strippers.I thought about being one a long time ago..made friends with some strippers ( I worked with one too that did it part time and my ex boss had been one)..they all said the same thing...don't do it unless you have to or just really "want" to.Every one of them was working towards the goal of getting out of it eventually.(of the ones I knew ) anyway.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
This was a VERY intriguing fact from the article.

They are educated-one in every stripper interviewed was found to have a university degree.

That's brilliant!

Last edited:

Shermana

Heretic
This was a VERY intriguing fact from the article.

That's brilliant!

This brings up two very important questions:

1. Did they already have College degrees and Stripping turned out to be the most profitable (and accessible) use of their time even with such degrees?

2. Did they use their stripping jobs to fund their own degrees?

Either way, it says a lot.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
This brings up two very important questions:

1. Did they already have College degrees and Stripping turned out to be the most profitable (and accessible) use of their time even with such degrees?

2. Did they use their stripping jobs to fund their own degrees?

Either way, it says a lot.

They didn't quote a stat Shermana. It said

"one in every stripper interviewed was found to have a university degree."

The article is bunk as far as I'm concerned.

Monotheist 101

Alot of female medical students in Canberra seem to be paying there way through college thanks to the brothels we have here. I say good on them..If I had to pay heaps for school and could do it without accumulating a loan I would too.

As for the OP..if they find it empowering..I dont see a problem.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Other than what it does for the individual (with them stripping), what affect/effect do we think it has on view of women?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't think feminism is about making more money but I have not kept up to date on the discussions about it. My first thought reading the OP is "is this thread blue?" It's purple. So I guess only feminist can post here. I am. But....

I think no one should be encouraged to strip. Really.

Shermana

Heretic
Other than what it does for the individual (with them stripping), what affect/effect do we think it has on view of women?

I thought Feminism was all about removing such stigmas of how "liberated sexuality" rendered the "view of women". What are you, some kind of purist?

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I thought Feminism was all about removing such stigmas of how "liberated sexuality" rendered the "view of women". What are you, some kind of purist?

I am specifically thinking about it in terms of stripping and its relation to what happens to women in the real world.

Monotheist 101

Alot of female medical students in Canberra seem to be paying there way through college thanks to the brothels we have here. I say good on them..If I had to pay heaps for school and could do it without accumulating a loan I would too.

My Bad I wasnt aware it was a feminist only thread..Im not sure if Im allowed to post here..:sorry1:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
My Bad I wasnt aware it was a feminist only thread..Im not sure if Im allowed to post here..:sorry1:

I "think' you are allowed to post here if its respectful non "argumentative"( like internet fist fight) or to ask a questions.I am not staff but I don't think you broke those rules.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..

So you would give men oral sex or let them have anal sex with you (what men want with other men) to pay your way through school if you could find the men to pay you for that?

Monotheist 101

It promotes a negative image of women as a sex symbol..Personally I dont think it is a respectful profession and would not want my future offspring to part take in that trade. Non-nude models IMO are in a class of their own..