• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Alec Baldwin Be Charged With a Crime?

Should Alec Baldwin Be Charged With A Crime?

• Total voters

Suave

Simulated character
I've read reports of gun misfires happening on set of filming the movie with Alec Baldwin being the movie's executive producer. During a recent podcast, Alec Baldwin's film's armorer admitted incompetency. Is Alec Baldwin not criminally liable for failing to address these safety hazard concerns?

'Rust' crew describes on-set gun safety issues and misfires days before fatal shooting

The 24-year-old head armorer of Alec Baldwin's movie 'Rust' told a podcast she almost didn't take her last job because she wasn't sure if she was ready

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What do you think I am interested in?
(I would hold the same opinion no matter who pulled the trigger, even if it was Trump)
It appears to me that you are enjoying this personal tragedy a bit too much. The article that you linked to itself said that it is rather unlikely that Baldwin will be charged with anything. There were eyewitnesses that stated Baldwin was told "Cold gun", meaning that it was safe, when it was handed to him. Remember, he is not an expert in firearms. That is why he hired those that were. How could he be charged with a crime?

EDIT: And of course the law enforcement officer said that it was still under investigation. When a death occurs a lengthy investigation is held. That does not indicate the guilt or innocence of anyone at the scene.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I voted 'No' as he is an actor just doing his job. But we don't know yet where the safety processes broke down, so we'll see.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Of course the investigation is ongoing but in the end no matter who gave him the firearm or who told him what he was the one holding the firearm and was personally responsible for making sure it was unloaded. As unfortunate as it is yes he does bear some responsibility in this IMO, much like a drunk driver that accidentally kills someone.

"All options are on the table," District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies said of any potential charges. "No one has been ruled out at this point."
Presenting the department's initial findings, Sante Fe County Sheriff Adan Mendoza said: "We suspect there were other live rounds found on set.
"

Alec Baldwin shooting: Criminal charges may be filed, prosecutor says - BBC News

"ALWAYS Keep The Gun Pointed In A Safe Direction

ALWAYS Keep Your Finger Off The Trigger Until Ready To Shoot

ALWAYS Keep The Gun Unloaded Until Ready To Use

If you do not know how to open the action or inspect the chamber(s), leave the gun alone and get help from someone who does."

NRA Gun Safety Rules | NRA Explore

***Please describe why you think he should or should not be charged***
I voted yes because someone died and someone should take responsibility for that. There are no accidents, only errors. And until the person(s) responsible are found, everyone should be regarded as innocent.
But that is just my opinion. From prior experience with cops killing innocent people without even being prosecuted, I guess this will be just another case of "personal risk of living in a gun-crazy country".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am not, and I challenge you to demonstrate your claim with a link to a relevant post of mine.
You objected vigorously to my challenge to the claim
he's being persecuted for mocking Trump. Why do
that if not to defend the claim, eh.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Weird ain't it?
It's the new normal in leftish polispeak.
What was once was Reagan's fault became Bush's.
What was once Bush's fault became Trump's.
What is now anyone's fault is still Trump's.

Whom do I blame?
- Inadequate regulation of gun handling & storage.
- The armorer.
- The producers.

I can't blame Baldwin too much for the actual firing of a handgun
with a live round. Yes, as someone who would professionally
handle guns, he should've become very familiar with basic safety
protocols. But this is much to expect from an actor who isn't really
a dedicated gun owner.
I say that his primary culpability is in the management (producer)
of the set & its goings on, especially the hiring of a qualified armorer.
It strikes me as not criminal negligence. But he's still culpable, &
therefore liable in tort....IMO. The authorities will venture expert
opinions (unlike mine).

Last edited:

Suave

Simulated character
I get that Alec Baldwin is obviously not a firearms expert, but even I, a non-expert firearms owner, knows not to point a gun at any non-combatant person and pull the trigger, even if you presume you're handling an unloaded gun,. Also Alex Baldwin as the film's executive producer should be liable for failing to have addressed safety concerns such as the gun's previous misfire incident and an armorer who had recently confessed she was not ready to be an armorer.

Bodie

I There were eyewitnesses that stated Baldwin was told "Cold gun", meaning that it was safe, when it was handed to him.

At the end of the day he was the one with the firearm that killed one and injured another, you never trust anyone to tell you whether a gun is loaded or not, you check for yourself, that is part of gun safety. if a person is not familiar with that simple common sense idea then they should not be around firearms period. Add to this he was the producer which.makes him responsible for the people that were hired for the job. It has also been reported that actual live rounds were on set so they could target practice between sets, if that is true why is an anti gun actor target practicing with live rounds and why are live rounds on the set anyway? Laws for thee and not for me?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I get that Alec Baldwin is obviously not a firearms expert, but even I, a non-expert firearms owner, knows not to point a gun at any non-combatant person and pull the trigger, even if you presume you're handling an unloaded gun,.

Not feasible. There is a person that has been hired to take care of that. Should a surgeon be forced to oversee the sterelization of his surgical instruments?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
At the end of the day he was the one with the firearm that killed one and injured another, you never trust anyone to tell you whether a gun is loaded or not, you check for yourself, that is part of gun safety.

Why not?
If you have hired someone that is far more knowledgeable than you, why wouldn't you trust this person to handle this?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Why not?
If you have hired someone that is far more knowledgeable than you, why wouldn't you trust this person to handle this?

In this case, from what I've read, she wasn't far more knowledgeable, though. They hired someone with poor skills.

However, the reason why I think Alec isn't responsible for having pulled the trigger, is because he was told it was a "cold gun", which in law, might create problems for pursuing a conviction against him for that purpose.

I, in fact, think any case with merit would just have to do with him being the producer and such.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
As an amateur it does appear that Baldwin followed protocol In the movies people are at times going to be in line with possible shots, that is how scenes are often filmed for greater dramatic effect. Political correctness may have had a role here too. There is quite a bit of pressure to hire people other than old white men for various jobs in Hollywood today. The woman that was in charge of prop firearms had some experience, but obviously not enough. Baldwin is not trained in what to look for. She was. He was told "cold gun", as I and others have pointed out, he is the least likely to get charged with any crime here. The armorer or the assistant director that also handled the gun may still be on the hook. With the most likely being the armorer.

Alienistic

Anti-conformity
The predictable programming, always. Like the .exe files within some humans trigger:

.exe = Must bring up Trump.
.exe = Must blame Trump for everything.
.exe = Must label anyone who disagrees or has any skepticism towards anything a Trump supporting bigot racist.

.exe = Must have no self-control to stop these .exe files from triggering.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
It's the new normal in leftish polispeak.
What was once was Reagan's fault became Bush's.
What was once Bush's fault became Trump's.
What is now anyone's fault is still Trump's.

Whom do I blame?
- Inadequate regulation of gun handling & storage.
- The armorer.
- The producers.

I can't blame Baldwin too much for the actual firing of a handgun
with a live round. Yes, as someone who would professionally
handle guns, he should've become very familiar with basic safety
protocols. But this is much to expect from an actor who isn't really
a dedicated gun owner.
I say that his primary culpability is in the management (producer)
of the set & its goings on, especially the hiring of a qualified armorer.
It strikes me as not criminal negligence. But he's still culpable, &
therefore liable in tort....IMO. The authorities will venture expert
opinions (unlike mine).

Well maybe Baldwin ought to join the NRA NRA Gun Safety Rules and learn some gun safety. :D

Koldo

Outstanding Member
In this case, from what I've read, she wasn't far more knowledgeable, though. They hired someone with poor skills.

From what I heard, she was fairly knowledgeable, just didn't have much in the way of actual field experience though.
But I didn't check the news in the last couple days so I could be missing something.

However, the reason why I think Alec isn't responsible for having pulled the trigger, is because he was told it was a "cold gun", which in law, might create problems for pursuing a conviction against him for that purpose.

I, in fact, think any case with merit would just have to do with him being the producer and such.

I agree. That's where he might be held responsible.