• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shifting more towards atheism

dfnj

Atheism is not the denial of the existence of God but simply a lack of belief in God. Over the last few years, I've been shifting further to the idea without real physical evidence, then everything that occurs in our thought-space is just fabricated imaginary delusions. And the only thing that is truly real is what we experience in the presence of others. Nobody denies the existence of apples. When I hold an apple in my hand I say, "apple". It's right there. I can't do that with God. As far as I can tell, God is just a word that only exists in our use of language. If people did not use the word God in sentences then God would cease to exist.

In terms of having a higher purpose and what our life means, I think our purpose is up to us to define. The most satisfaction I've ever had in my own life comes from my family, my hobbies and my crafts. The only thing that gets me out of being sad and depressed is doing some kind of hobby or craft. Developing my physical and mental skills has provided me the most satisfaction and happiness in life. Or guiding and helping my children grow up has been very satisfying.

In terms of ex-Deus Machina, I believe we are all champions of our destiny. If we soil our own beds, nobody but ourselves is responsible, and available, to clean up our mess. We are fully responsible for every single aspect of our lives. Based on human experiments, there seems to be no amount of evil God will not tolerate in order to preserve our free-will. God is always not intervening in the short term and always choosing his long term "plan", which as far as I can tell, is all just fantasy delusion only existing in our minds.

I've never been this far atheistic before in my life. Unless I have some earth shaking experience with psychedelic drugs, as far as I can tell, God is pure delusion having no basis in reality.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Whatever path you are meant to walk, will be walked. Mine was (and is) very different.

I hold the apple in my hand. It's right there. And it is divine.
That the universe and everything in it is vastly greater and more powerful than my pathetic singular human self is not simply words that exists only in human languages. It is, as far as I'm concerned, an undeniable fact. The universe and everything in it is the gods - it is greater and grander than any one human or even all of humanity combined. And until classical monotheism came about - which tore the gods from the world - humans primarily worshiped Sun and Moon, Wind and Rain, powers like Love and Strife, processes like Memory and Creativity. And I follow in their step as I refuse to believe that my pathetic singular human self is the most powerful, most greatest, most magnificent thing in the entire multiverse. I refuse to believe I am greater than Sun and Moon, Ocean and City, War and Fear, all of the Universe. That is madness talk. Thus, I am a Pagan, polytheist, animist, pantheist. I cannot stomach any alternatives.

PureX

Veteran Member
Atheism is not the denial of the existence of God but simply a lack of belief in God.
What you don't believe does not define what atheism is.
Over the last few years, I've been shifting further to the idea without real physical evidence, then everything that occurs in our thought-space is just fabricated imaginary delusions.
But that means "physical evidence" is a fabricated imaginary delusion. Because it occurs in our "thought space".
And the only thing that is truly real is what we experience in the presence of others.
Why couldn't they be just as delusional as we are?
Nobody denies the existence of apples. When I hold an apple in my hand I say, "apple". It's right there. I can't do that with God.
You can't do that with a lot of things. Love, justice, honor, honesty, beauty, joy, kindness, etc., and yet we all agree that these "fabricated imaginary delusions" are actually far more important to us in our experience of life than the physicality of an apple.
As far as I can tell, God is just a word that only exists in our use of language.
All words are just words. Just language. They are labels intended to represent our similar ideas and experiences to each other. "God", "tree", "humility", all just words representing common thoughts and experiences.
If people did not use the word God in sentences then God would cease to exist.
If all humans stopped talking the world would still be here, just as it is, and so would all those thoughts happening in people's minds. The labels don't create them. We do. Then we label them so we can refer to them with each other.
In terms of having a higher purpose and what our life means, I think our purpose is up to us to define. The most satisfaction I've ever had in my own life comes from my family, my hobbies and my crafts. The only thing that gets me out of being sad and depressed is doing some kind of hobby or craft. Developing my physical and mental skills has provided me the most satisfaction and happiness in life. Or guiding and helping my children grow up has been very satisfying.

In terms of ex-Deus Machina, I believe we are all champions of our destiny. If we soil our own beds, nobody but ourselves is responsible, and available, to clean up our mess. We are fully responsible for every single aspect of our lives.
We are not responsible for what happens to us. Only for how we respond to what happens to us. And even then, only with a very narrow range of possible responses.
Based on human experiments, there seems to be no amount of evil God will not tolerate in order to preserve our free-will. God is always not intervening in the short term and always choosing his long term "plan", which as far as I can tell, is all just fantasy delusion only existing in our minds.
Why do you assume that our evil behavior is God's problem? That it's something God should want or need to respond to?
I've never been this far atheistic before in my life. Unless I have some earth shaking experience with psychedelic drugs, as far as I can tell, God is pure delusion having no basis in reality.
But then so is your atheism, as both ideas are coming form the exact same source.

F1fan

Veteran Member
What you don't believe does not define what atheism is.
Right, it's the not believing. That's it.
But that means "physical evidence" is a fabricated imaginary delusion. Because it occurs in our "thought space".
No, it's the ideas that lack evidence that are the imaginary, i.e. Mickey Mouse, Hobbits, Gods.

Yet physical evidence is recognized.
Why couldn't they be just as delusional as we are?
That would make life easier. If only Trump was imagined. But he is a reality that we can recognize as real.
You can't do that with a lot of things. Love, justice, honor, honesty, beauty, joy, kindness, etc., and yet we all agree that these "fabricated imaginary delusions" are actually far more important to us in our experience of life than the physicality of an apple.
He was referring to real objects, not abstractions.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Atheism is a lack of belief in a god or gods.

It's really that simple, regardless of what you want it to be.
No, it really isn’t, regardless of how many times you insist that it is.
A binary tree is a data structure in computer science, a sequoia tree is a coniferous tree in biology. Both are trees, the context matters.
The same goes for atheism/Atheism. There are two valid definitions, depending on context.
If you can't derive the context, ask. I think it is obvious that the OP is about colloquial atheism, not philosophical Atheism.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Then tell us what atheism really is. Define it in your terms.

atheism (n.)

"the doctrine that there is no God;" "disbelief in any regularity in the universe to which man must conform himself under penalties" [J.R. Seeley, "Natural Religion," 1882], 1580s, from French athéisme (16c.), with -ism + Greek atheos "without a god, denying the gods," from a- "without" (see a- (3)) + theos "a god" (from PIE root *dhes-, forming words for religious concepts). A slightly earlier form is represented by atheonism (1530s) which is perhaps from Italian atheo"atheist." Also compare atheous. The ancient Greek noun was atheotēs "ungodliness."
In late 19c. it was sometimes further distinguished into secondary senses: "The denial of theism, that is, of the doctrine that the great first cause is a supreme, intelligent, righteous person" [Century Dictionary, 1897] and "practical indifference to and disregard of God, godlessness."

A more politically correct definition is

simply a lack of belief in God

Atheism is not the denial of the existence of God but simply a lack of belief in God. Over the last few years, I've been shifting further to the idea without real physical evidence, then everything that occurs in our thought-space is just fabricated imaginary delusions. And the only thing that is truly real is what we experience in the presence of others. Nobody denies the existence of apples. When I hold an apple in my hand I say, "apple". It's right there. I can't do that with God. ...
Bible tells God is love. Do you really think love doesn't exist? Have you not experienced love?

He who doesn't love doesn't know God, for God is love.
1 John 4:8
We know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love, and he who remains in love remains in God, and God remains in him.
1 John 4:16

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Atheism is not the denial of the existence of God but simply a lack of belief in God. Over the last few years, I've been shifting further to the idea without real physical evidence, then everything that occurs in our thought-space is just fabricated imaginary delusions. And the only thing that is truly real is what we experience in the presence of others. Nobody denies the existence of apples. When I hold an apple in my hand I say, "apple". It's right there. I can't do that with God. As far as I can tell, God is just a word that only exists in our use of language. If people did not use the word God in sentences then God would cease to exist.

In terms of ex-Deus Machina, I believe we are all champions of our destiny. If we soil our own beds, nobody but ourselves is responsible, and available, to clean up our mess. We are fully responsible for every single aspect of our lives. Based on human experiments, there seems to be no amount of evil God will not tolerate in order to preserve our free-will. God is always not intervening in the short term and always choosing his long term "plan", which as far as I can tell, is all just fantasy delusion only existing in our minds.

All I can suggest is you continue on your journey and follow your heart. Accept where you’re at now unless and until something changes your mind. I did that and I was a strong atheist for a few years.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Atheism is the antithetical of the theist proposition. The antithetical being that the theist proposition that God/gods exist is invalid. I repeat, it is the position that holds that the theist proposition is invalid. It has nothing to do with what anyone does or doesn’t believe.
You have a very peculiar way of using words. You seem, somehow, to be putting a wall up around your notion of what "belief" means. The reasons for it remain completely opaque to me.

A "proposition" is "a statement that expresses a judgment or opinion." In what way, exactly, are judgments and opinions so very different from beliefs? Whether I believe the bus will be along in 5 minutes, or I'm of the opinion that it will be here in 5, really are quite the same thing, in the end.

Wikipedia defines atheism as:

"Atheism, in the broadest sense, is an absence of belief in the existence of deities. Less broadly, atheism is a rejection of the belief that any deities exist. In an even narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities."

It is all of those things, depending on the atheist. So who are you to try and redefine it for the rest of us. You do not speak for me -- nor for my beliefs, unbeliefs, opinions or judgments. My atheism means what I SAY IT MEANS TO ME.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Atheism is not the denial of the existence of God but simply a lack of belief in God.
Atheism varies and can be both.
Over the last few years, I've been shifting further to the idea without real physical evidence, then everything that occurs in our thought-space is just fabricated imaginary delusions. And the only thing that is truly real is what we experience in the presence of others. Nobody denies the existence of apples. When I hold an apple in my hand I say, "apple". It's right there. I can't do that with God. As far as I can tell, God is just a word that only exists in our use of language. If people did not use the word God in sentences then God would cease to exist.
I can also be the based on simply there is no objective evidence that Gods exist. this questions the 'reason to believe' when some atheists may state: There is no reason to believe.'

PureX

Veteran Member
A binary tree is a data structure in computer science, a sequoia tree is a coniferous tree in biology. Both are trees, the context matters.
The same goes for atheism/Atheism. There are two valid definitions, depending on context.
Actually, what matters is specificity, not context. There are all kinds of "art" objects in the world. And it's not their context or anyone's belief that determined what kind of art they are. It's just the WILLINGNESS to be honest and specific. We already have all kinds of words to refer to all kinds of art and artworks. All we have to do is be willing to use them. Atheism is not "unbelief" because theism is not belief. Theism is an asserted truth proposition. It's not a person that "believes" anything. So atheism is not a person that doesn't. Theism and atheism are intellectual (philosophical) positions on the truth of reality. They are not defined by whether ot not anyone "believes in" them. Any more than works of art are defined by whether or not we like them.
If you can't derive the context, ask.
The context doesn't matter because what you're calling "context" here is just personal opinion. I sinlt need to know if you like the art to know that it's art. Or to determine what kind of art it is.
I think it is obvious that the OP is about colloquial atheism, not philosophical Atheism.
There is no "colloquial atheism". The poster should have the courage and wisdom to be specific about what they are actually saying. In this case they are simply rejecting an overly simplistic religious ideation of "God". And that's not atheism. That's just a narrow form of anti-religiosity.

Most of the people on here that call themselves atheists are just anti-religious. And have no idea what atheism even is.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Actually, what matters is specificity, not context. There are all kinds of "art" objects in the world. And it's not their context or anyone's belief that determined what kind of art they are. It's just the WILLINGNESS to be honest and specific. We already have all kinds of words to refer to all kinds of art and artworks. All we have to do is be willing to use them. Atheism is not "unbelief" because theism is not belief. Theism is an asserted truth proposition. It's not a person that "believes" anything. So atheism is not a person that doesn't. Theism and atheism are intellectual (philosophical) positions on the truth of reality. They are not defined by whether ot not anyone "believes in" them. Any more than works of art are defined by whether or not we like them.

The context doesn't matter because what you're calling "context" here is just personal opinion. I sinlt need to know if you like the art to know that it's art. Or to determine what kind of art it is.

There is no "colloquial atheism". The poster should have the courage and wisdom to be specific about what they are actually saying. In this case they are simply rejecting an overly simplistic religious ideation of "God". And that's not atheism. That's just a narrow form of anti-religiosity.

Most of the people on here that call themselves atheists are just anti-religious. And have no idea what atheism even is.
Words have a purpose, and that is to communicate meaning. Words that only have meaning to one person (yourself), are useless. All the (colloquial) atheists here tell you what they mean, they are able to communicate among themselves and the believers who understand their language. You are unable to communicate, as long as you insist on using a language only you speak.

I identify as a (philosophical) Agnostic. I don't insist that Agnostic has exactly one meaning, I just clarify which meaning I use. Not everyone is a philosopher, and I am just an armchair philosopher who hasn't to philosophize all the time. Accept that you are not the authority on word usage, and we'll all get along.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler

You really need to stop trying to unload your baggage off to everyone else.
Atheism is lack of belief in deity.
All that other baggage you attach to it is your baggage.

PureX

Veteran Member
You have a very peculiar way of using words. You seem, somehow, to be putting a wall up around your notion of what "belief" means. The reasons for it remain completely opaque to me.
The term "belief" means that we have decided to accept something as true even though we don't actually know that it is true. "Belief" is basically a dishonest presumption we make for the sake of ego and convenience. This is not rocket science. All you have to do is take a moment to consider the actual content that these word-labels refer to.
A "proposition" is "a statement that expresses a judgment or opinion."
No, it's not. A proposition is a statement that expressed a determination of truth. Judgments and opinions come AFTER the proposal has been revealed, and posed.
In what way, exactly, are judgments and opinions so very different from beliefs?
It doesn't matter because that definition was wrong.
Wikipedia defines atheism as:

"Atheism, in the broadest sense, is an absence of belief in the existence of deities. Less broadly, atheism is a rejection of the belief that any deities exist. In an even narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities."

It is all of those things, depending on the atheist. So who are you to try and redefine it for the rest of us. You do not speak for me -- nor for my beliefs, unbeliefs, opinions or judgments. My atheism means what I SAY IT MEANS TO ME.
Dictionaries just record our bias, ignorance, and stupidity. They do not correct it. The moment you have to run to a dictionary to defend your position you have admitted that your position is weaker then the common stupidity that dictionaries record. AND that you are incapable of actually examining the content being labeled by the term in question.