• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientology a CULT?

Is it a cult?

• Total voters

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I voted <not a cult>.
They've been around too long, & have too much real estate to still be a cult.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Personally, I don't think Scientology should ever have been granted status as a religion. We could still correct that error. If anything, it is a pyramid scheme to benefit those at the top.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Personally, I don't think Scientology should ever have been granted status as a religion. We could still correct that error. If anything, it is a pyramid scheme to benefit those at the top.
How does that disqualify it from being a religion?
Alls they needs to do is believe in unverifiable supernatural stuff.

Reactions: gsa

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Scientology is one of those cults that prey upon the weak minded and those who have no real belief system of there own. There is a local drug rehab clinic in Tulsa that is ran by the Church of Scientology. The daughter of a friend of my dads died of a drug overdose at that rehab clinic.

Wirey

Fartist
Scientology, Jehovah's Witness', and Mormons are all sides of the same die. They resonate with people who are too disinterested to bother trying to see the truth.

Sultan Of Swing

How many more famous people do they need before it's called a religion?

There are people I know of who have gone for scientology or at least tried it purely because Tom Cruise is in it. Maybe if Tom manages to make the entire plot of the next Mission Impossible film centred around how scientology saves the world then maybe it'll become mainstream.

Wirey

Fartist
The only two scientologists I can think of are Cruise and Travolta, and they're both so deep in the closet they're finding next year's Christmas presents. Coincidence?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
@suncowiam

I was really asking the OP, since they created the poll. There are several definitions of "cult" and standard dictionaries are mere starting points and often poor for referencing technical usages of terms.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I voted <not a cult>.
They've been around too long, & have too much real estate to still be a cult.

Same here. Of course that doesn't absolve them of being nutters. I'm OK with Scientology up to the point of the beliefs about thetans, though it's a rip off of Eastern philosophies and hardly original on Hubbard's part.

@suncowiam

I was really asking the OP, since they created the poll. There are several definitions of "cult" and standard dictionaries are mere starting points and often poor for referencing technical usages of terms.

Well we all know what they mean when they say cult.I just posted the news.The story speaks of them as a cult, so I asked the question, "Scientology a CULT?"